Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Tuna: By Dawn's Early Light

Sarge's B-52 pictures reminded me of a pretty darn good movie I saw on HBO many years ago.  Since it was many years ago, my impression of it was based on a younger man's viewpoint, which may or may not hold up today.  As much as Naval Aviation aficionados like to slam on the movie TOPGUN (one word, all caps), we tend to like it nevertheless.  I'd expect that those USAF folks on here feel the same way about such outstanding USAF-based movies as Iron Eagle (snerk), Iron Eagle 2 (snerk snerk), or Bat-21 (ok, that's actually a really good movie).

The movie, if you haven't figured it out from the title of this post, is By Dawn's Early Light.  It has a strong cast featuring Powers Boothe, the incomparable James Earl Jones, and the always lovely Rebecca De Mornay.  According to Wikipedia, it is an HBO Original Movie, airing in 1990, set in 1991.  It is based on the 1983 novel Trinity's Child, written by william Prochnau.  The film is one of the last films to depict the events of a fictional WWIII before the collapse of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War.


If you have the time and interest, YouTube has the full length movie linked below.  Give it a test flight and let Sarge know what you think:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf87gloRGb0

5 comments:

  1. I have seen that movie. When it first came out. Saw it while I was still at Offutt as a matter of fact. And I'll second Tuna's motion. It's an excellent movie, well worth your time. No doubt I'll be YouTubing that over the weekend.

    Thanks for the link T!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess my posts aren't as interesting as yours... One single comment and it came from you. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, the baseball post generated a lot of interest. The lack of comments regarding the movie post puzzles me too. Our readers can be fickle...

      Besides which, you're just getting warmed up.

      Delete
  3. pas pire mais est long a suivre l histoire interessante but miss more action not a bla bla..

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.