Sunday, June 8, 2014

Random Synapses Firing


So I'm on my way to church. Normally, I drop The Missus Herself off in front of the church, then I motor down the street a ways to find a place to park the vehicle. Parking in a town which was first settled in the 1600s and incorporated in 1746 can be, at times, problematical. But we manage.

So I had dropped off the Missus and was walking to church. It was a beautiful day today, the sun shining, the birds singing, warm and just enough of a breeze to keep the heat from being oppressive.

It had been rather a rough week, what with Lex's accident report having been published and my Dad's birthday having passed again without him around to celebrate with.

So yeah, I was feeling a wee bit sorry for myself.

Then up in the sky I hear the drone of a small aircraft engine. Looking up I see what appears to be a Piper Super Cub. A lovely little bird, one I've flown in on a number of occasions. I watched her until she droned out of sight. Remembering.

Then I realized that this day was the day that my new home town of Bristol (in Little Rhody) celebrates her firefighters (of course now it celebrates "first responders", I'm a traditionalist, I'll stick with firefighters, thank you very much). To me that means one thing, bagpipes.

The firefighters have a parade and in that parade there are always pipers. While we sit in church (usually with the windows open at this time of year) I can hear the pipers practising for the parade. It's kind of nice.

Once a year, I get to hear a sermon with the pipes playing off in the distance.

It was as if the Good Lord was telling me, "Get your chin up laddie, the birds are singing, aircraft are flying, the pipes are playing. I made this day for you. Enjoy it."

Yes, yes he did. He made this day for me.

And for you.

Enjoy it.

I did.

6 comments:

  1. It seems to me that most of the time with the good things in life, the Good Lord whispers about them and you really have to listen. I really have to practice at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, and sometimes it IS the little things that remind us...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are well blessed to live in the USA. And Sunday was an extra good day for you, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.