Friday, January 23, 2015

A Flanker Flyby on Friday

I don't think any of us here at the Chant ever thought the Russian Bear was asleep forever.  While their Communist economy couldn't survive the Cold War, there was little doubt that even a touch of capitalism instituted there, no matter how corrupt the society is, would eventually yield returns, and some of that cash is being injected to their Air Force.

If their forays into the Ukraine and Crimea weren't enough, they seem to be back to their old tricks in the Baltics.


It's the weekend and I just felt like sharing.  Feel free to read the whole story here:

Watch A Russian Jet Intercept A Portuguese Surveillance Plane

7 comments:

  1. The Russians are the Russians. Governments change, the Russian people don't, not really. Tsar Peter would probably recognize them today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I could think of was "Where's 2?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they didn't have enough money to fill up 2 tanks!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I was more like thinkin', knowing Russian maint practices, #2 AND the spare were both broken, sitting on the ramp.

      Delete
  3. I wonder when the Norwegian Sea will become another area of interest for Ivan? When I was a young AMH3 aboard The Good Ship Independence, we did one of those Ocean Safari Exercises in those Far Northern Waters in October and November of 1975. Bears...........Bears Everywhere. There were the occasional Badgers but it was Bears..............oft times three to four times a day. Fighting 33 and Fighting 102 got worked hard with the Alert 5. In addition were the two Kresta Class Missile Cruisers that joined up when we headed north from the British Isles. Cold War Chicken in that cold place, 65 miles or so north of the Arctic Circle. Seems Ivan considered that his "back yard."
    I am of the mind that we are in a Cold War Version 21st Century. I am just a wrench turner on airplanes but I chalk it up to that "Been there. Done that" thing, ya know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in agreement with you although given the circumstances in the Ukraine, maybe Lukewarm War is a more accurate name. I was going to use Cool, but that has an alternate meaning that I don't think would be appropriate.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.