Sunday, January 11, 2015

Le Weekend

What do you mean the Sarge is taking it easy today?
Bill Belichick 8-28-09 Patriots-vs-Redskins photo by Keith Allison from Baltimore, USA (CC)
So after a moratorium on football, which lasted until Thanksgiving, I am once again addicted to watching the playoffs.


Yes Coach, playoffs.

As I write this, Saturday afternoon, the plan is to watch two games on the 10th, then two more on the 11th. After a long abstinence, no doubt I will overdose on the sport and immediately regret spending the entire weekend watching football.

Okay, I did it last weekend too.

I have no excuses. I just like the drama and the absolute finality of the NFL playoffs. If you lose, there is no "next week." Nope, it's start all over again next year.

So I'll leave you with some pictures of Chez Sarge in the snow. You got to see the garden in the beauty of the spring, summer and fall, so why not winter as well?

And yes, it was bloody cold out there. High twenties. Which was about 10 to 20 degrees warmer than the preceding couple of days.

The cold is here, I expect more snow in the days to come.

Welcome to winter Little Rhody...

It's going to be a while before I sit at my little table to quaff an adult beverage or two!
The pond is frozen over, the koi are all hibernating.
I really like the contrast the neighbor's fence provides as a backdrop to the whiteness of the snow.
Some of the arborvitae grow faster than others.

Sunset on a January day. Time to go inside and get warm!

24 comments:

  1. There might be a little something happening Monday night too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Some of the arborvitae grow faster than others."

    I have the same issue with my .

    ReplyDelete
  3. My youngest son and I are Seahawk fans. He is married to a rabid (are there any other kind) Bronco fan. 95% of my relatives who care about football are Bronco fans. They now hate the Hawks worse than the Raiders or Chiefs. Makes for fun times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in Colorado twice. Went to college there. Became a rabid Broncos fan. Once I moved away that faded. Oldest daughter is still a die hard Broncos fan. I still maintain a soft spot for them.

      For a team to become hated, they need to win a Super Bowl. Of course, having met the Seahawks last year in the big game, what Bronco fan could have any love for your beloved 'Hawks.

      As for me, I think the Seahawks have one of the best stadiums in football. And one of the best fan bases as well.

      (I remember when the Seahawks were in the old AFC West. Good times.)

      Delete
    2. I think it would be interesting to see which team's fans hate the Seahawks the most.
      I, personally, know several 49er fans who not only hate the team on the field, but would do great bodily harm to the admin side of the Seahawks.
      Last year the tried to purchase tickets for the NFC Championship game and were locked out of the website because they were from Northern California.
      I also have a neighbor who is a Seahawk fan who was unable to purchase tickets to that game because he lives here.

      Delete
    3. I read about that somewhere.

      I would think that the 49ers' fans would hate the Seahawks most of all. For that and "other" reasons.

      Delete
    4. Having lived in Seattle for 18 years, and once worked for a San Fran based business, I can say there is no love lost between the two on many levels going back many years.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy, Sarge.

    The koi hibernate, eh? That's cool. My grandpa used to keep dime store goldfish in the stock tanks and they did quite well. They'd get up to about 10 inches and they kept the algae down. Now I've got an idea for another tourist attraction...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm here for PA, inform and entertain.

      Of course, when you build your tourist attraction, your many fans will expect pictures.

      Delete
    2. And the goldfish handle the cold ok? During the summer, the algae makes me wonder about the horses. Tried Barley Balls this past summer, but they'd only last a month or so. Fish would seem to be a better idea.

      Delete
    3. If the pond is deep enough the fish should be okay. One end of ours is three feet deep and that seems alright for this area. We'll get a couple of inches of ice on the surface from time to time but it's never frozen solid. Further north and that would be problematic.

      You also need to keep the water oxygenated and have some open water (not frozen) to allow gas build ups in the water to get out.

      But they do okay. We have goldfish and koi.

      Delete
    4. Last winter I had to go bust ice out of the trough, one time it was about 2 inches thick. How do you keep the water oxygenated?

      Delete
    5. We bought a unit designed for koi ponds which has two small tubes which go on the bottom of the pond. The unit blows air into the water, keeping the oxygen level up.

      Delete
    6. Speaking of winter survival, here's what I found in a stock tank after our first really cold spell.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LXSuy0Ws1Q

      Delete
    7. Wow, we don't get many of those up here!

      Though occasionally the weather will get warm, a bunch of bugs hatch, then whammo, it gets cold again.

      Delete
  5. I'm looking forward to Monday night!!
    O-H-I-O !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had almost (note I said "almost") forgotten about that game.

      (I'm an old school guy, not used to bowl games after New Year's Day.)

      Delete
  6. That just LOOKS cold! :-) Stay warm sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was cold indeed. Not the coldest I've ever seen, but cold enough!

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.