Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The Weekend


As any homeowner knows, maintenance is something that needs to be done.

Whether it's cutting the grass, painting, trimming, weeding or what have you, it's one of the "joys" of home ownership.

Some years back, we decided that we weren't going to paint the place every few years. So we had siding put on.

It looks very nice. It has to be cleaned periodically (funny how the sales guy never mentioned that) but it beats painting.

The deck, however, requires some maintenance from time to time. I do not believe just how much the weather tears up a paint job.

But it does.

So this past Memorial Day weekend, The Missus Herself decreed that the deck would be cleaned, scraped and painted.

Yea verily, so it was done.

Saturday we cleaned and scraped the old paint away (for the most part). A new power washer helped that task along mightily (and will also be of benefit to the cleaning of the aforementioned siding).

Sunday 'twas a late start. We went to church and then had lunch at Panera Bread, a place I am most fond of, painting did not commence until nearly 3 in the afternoon.

We got the railings done, all that white stuff above.

Monday we did the deck floor itself with a product from Behr called "Deckover." It is a very thick paint with a certain amount of grit in it. It's almost like no-skid.

So the floor was painted. Upon completion, The Missus Herself declared that veggies would be grilled and consumed with couscous and shrimp (one of the Sarge's favorite meals).

All hands retired to the fantail, er, backyard, where veggies were grilled and adult beverages were consumed. (What veggies you ask? Well, there were leeks and red onion, zucchini and red bell peppers, all having been liberally doused with garlic and olive oil. Most delicious I must say!)

While partaking of an Old Brown Dog (from Smuttynose Brewery, up New Hampshire way), I tipped my drink to the West, the North, the East, to the South and then to the Heavens, I then thanked those who gave their lives so that I might enjoy my freedoms.

The men and women who gave the last full measure of devotion to these United States of America are never far from my thoughts.

For me, it was an excellent weekend.

I owe so much, to so many.





Yes, I'm blessed...

26 comments:

  1. Rain, Tornados, Rain and more Rain. The sum of which is I've got water in my stockpond for the first time in a long time. Fortunately the tornado touched down in an unpopulated area, so I haven't heard of any damage or injuries. Thank you, Lord! Son and Daughter in Law came by for the weekend. With the rain, we played lots of cards. Did manage to grab a short period between storms and break in the Son's new pistol as well as grill some ribs. In all it was a memorable weekend, for which I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas has been getting a lot of rain lately. Houston area even made the news in New England!

      Glad you had some quality time with the family. One of the things I am most thankful for.

      Delete
    2. So, somewhat ironic, we've had enough rain to officially end the drought. However, the tornado destroyed one of the pumps at the water treatment plant, so water rationing is still in effect. Thankfully, no one was hurt here, Wimberly is a different story.

      Delete
    3. Eight people missing from a vacation house on the banks of a river. I heard that this morning.

      Dang!

      Delete
  2. Perfect weekend, eh Sarge?

    Rainy and cool here. Most unusual spring; we're flirting with record rain for the month. Average is 2.7 inches, so far we're just over 8 inches. Record is 11.4 inches in 1957. Still and all a very nice weekend, good food and lots of company.

    BTW, that second picture above is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the last one is the best of the bunch. Sarge, I'm not sure if you're loved or hated by your neighbors, but looks like the best yard on the block to me.

      Delete
    2. I did those pics with the cellphone. I only remembered the nice new camera afterwards.

      That was me, being "in the moment" or senile, your choice!

      Delete
    3. FWIW, there are a number of nice yards in the neighborhood. Most are pretty basic but well-maintained.

      The oil delivery guy once left us a note saying how much he enjoyed seeing our gardens.

      It's my oasis away from the world.

      Delete
  3. With all the rain, we did not get much done around the farm. Your place looks might nice, though.

    Although I don't get lots of views on my blog , but I posted some pics that you OMF (Old Military Farts) might like. Please drop by and see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are really nice pics Lou.

      (I love the "OMF" thing, I shall embrace it and make it my own!)

      Delete
  4. Quiet around here... PHG helped her sister pack and move, so it was just me rattling around Saturday and Sunday.
    Yesterday morning we remembered and then in the afternoon some friends came by and were overfed barbecued ribs, baked beans, and potato salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be overfed from time to time!

      Delete
    2. Speaking of food, when are you gonna have a fish-fry with the Koi? :)

      Delete
    3. Bad Virgil!

      No more Barbancourt for you! (At least until tomorrow and I won't tell the fish you said that. Though they are used to it by now.)

      Delete
  5. Love the landscaping, but you must work overtime with the hedge clippers and trimmers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Missus Herself seems to be out there from sun-up to sundown. Definitely a lot of work!

      Delete
  6. Looks like your bridge has been painted, or replaced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet WSF, this is the bridge's "good side" the other side is where the bulk of the rust is.

      Delete
  7. "Non-skid","Fantail" --makes my heart go pitty pat! Are you slowly becoming Dark Blue? Great pix, and hope the rest of the holiday was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oldest kid was a SWO, did five years in destroyers. Middle kid is a Nuke SWO, has time in destroyers and carriers. Youngest is an NFO.

      I speak some Navy. Not fluent but I read a lot. I do love the nautical talk!

      The weekend was very good.

      Delete
  8. Great pictures! What happened to all of the white stuff? I miss my garden since we moved to the far west (Florida). The drought in California has probably killed everything in it anyway.
    On a sad note: Of the two hundred or so condo balconies I can see from the beach here (about a half-mile), there was only one flag displayed. Guess whose condo it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing it was yours...

      White stuff is gone, for now. (Knock on wood.)

      Delete
  9. Looking good! And the comback of the yard is great! Somebody has a green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Missus Herself has the green thumb and the ferocious willpower to get things done!

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.