Sunday, May 17, 2015

Vacation Is Over

Potomac Sunset
Flew back to Little Rhody on Saturday, 'tis a short flight, no more than an hour once you get airborne.

It's that annoying dance on the ground which tries one's patience.

But it's faster than driving.

Chatted with a fellow while boarding the aircraft. A decent enough old chap, very distinguished, but oh my, you could tell he had been a Nasal Radiator at some point in his life. He made a big deal out of deigning to speak with a lowly member of Uncle Sam's Aerial Fiesta. He warmed up considerably when I told him that all three of the progeny were Navy.

Perhaps you know him?

He flew these...

A Grumman S-2A Tracker (BuNo 136658) of anti-submarine squadron VS-29.
U.S. Navy Photo by PHC(AW/SW) Mahlon K. Miller

He worked in the government off and on. Seemed like a nice enough fellow.

Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld.
DoD photo by Scott Davis, U.S. Army.

I had no idea he retired as a Captain from the Reserves back in 1975. He seriously is an affable guy. I liked him.

But still and all, vacation is over. It's back to earning my pay on Monday.

I am still getting acquainted with my new camera, which I like a lot. So for the next few days I will no doubt inflict upon share with you some of my photos. For now, I leave you with these.

Flamingos (for Buck), National Zoo

Cheetah, National Zoo

Stainless steel eagles, National Harbor

Fountain, Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center

I had a great time with the family. It was a nice long vacation but like Mr. Harrison said, "All things must pass."

So it's heigh-ho, heigh-ho, etc., etc.

Sigh...

18 comments:

  1. So, what did you and Mr. Rumsfeld discuss?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Discuss is such a serious word...

      It was actually more along the lines of banter. "Hahaha, Air Force." "Hahaha, Navy."

      Clever stuff, ya know?

      Delete
  2. When are you going to post your selfie with Rumsfeld?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No selfies. Once again my mind did not think to draw camera.

      Not to mention that the camera was in the backpack, which was upon my back, and we were all shuffling to get onboard.

      A lost moment perhaps, but I didn't want to come off as a "fanboy." Unseemly I think.

      Delete
  3. To my eye you have a talent for photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WSF.

      The camera is proving to be quite nice. If I can keep my hand steady it does the real work.

      But there is something to be said for recognizing what might make a nice picture. And then taking the shot.

      Delete
    2. What zoom capability does it have? I really want to "get" the Pitts and the Stearman! But don't want to spend TOO much on a camera.

      Delete
    3. According to the literature it has a 4.2x Optical Zoom (24mm-100mm). Whatever that means. I'm still learning.

      But it's a pretty sweet camera. Canon PowerShot G7 X.

      Delete
    4. "But there is something to be said for recognizing what might make a nice picture."

      I think that should actually read "But there is something to be said for anticipating what might make a nice picture between 2 and 30 seconds from now and having the camera ready.."

      Delete
  4. We welcome your afflicting us with your talents Sarge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That tops my "most important Person met" (Phyllis Diller).

    Nice cheetah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You met Phyllis Diller? That's pretty cool.

      Thanks, that male was walking around, showing off I think.

      Delete
  6. My personal "Celeb" moments are, in order: (1)Bob Hope, Baton Rouge, 1963 (2) Chiang Kai-Shek and Madam Chiang (aka "The Dragon Lady"), Taipei, 1968 (3) Telly Savalas, London, 1970, (4) Bruce Springsteen, New Orleans 1975, (5) John Goodman, New Orleans, 2003 (and numerous times since for drinks.)

    PS: Each has a highly unique story to go with it, none of this pedestrian sitting together on a plane crap. :) So There!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a good one! And Rummy DOES have a bit of an ego...

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.