Sunday, August 30, 2015

Saturday at Chez Sarge

Sunset, Saturday 29 August 2015
I am blessed to live in a place of great beauty, some of it natural, some sculpted by my wife's own hand. Her work in the garden seems to never end and in a week, that all becomes my responsibility.

For The WSO is with child and her due date rapidly approaches, so her mom, The Missus Herself, will be winging out to California to babysit Little Bit and provide moral support.

Dear Lord, I will have to tend to the plants, entertain myself and feed myself. Should be quite a challenge as I am an indifferent cook. I think I better dust off the cookbooks and prepare myself to be Gordon Ramsay. I am so going to screw this up I fear.


But somehow, much like those ancestors of mine who were English, I shall muddle through.

On the upside I'm still grounded, medically speaking, no work for at least another month, so I needn't worry about that. I am afraid though of going stark, raving mad. While I do manage to find things to do to keep the mind occupied, somewhat, being semi-housebound is getting wearisome. Well, I am recovering so I guess I can drive myself now.

I admit to being a bit spoiled at this point in time.

I really don't have much to say today. Too beautiful to stay inside on Saturday so I did wander the grounds. Took some more photos.

I did watch a movie or two on Netflix. That well is starting to run dry though. My kingdom for some new content!

Oh well, I guess I'll show you the photos. I've got naught else to share. Maybe the Muse will stop by Sunday afternoon. You never know, she can be fickle at times.

Feeding time for the koi.
Not exactly a feeding frenzy, but they do get a bit excited at meal times.
Flowers, just inside the west fence.
Miniature Japanese Maple
One of our Asian style stone lamps.
The neighbor's pool. He has a nice setup. I love the quality of the light in late afternoon.
The trees just beyond the north fence.
Nearly the same shot but with a sunburst. (Yeah, I like those, so?)
Again, that lovely late afternoon light.
The sun is going quickly.
Some of The Missus Herself's indoor plants.
Our waterfall. Gives me peace it does.

22 comments:

  1. Mrs Juvat and I have an arrangement. She takes care of the yard and I'm the Chief Cook and Bottle Washer. It works. When I get low on ideas, this is my go to source. He's also pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some good looking recipes over there. I may have to try my hand.

      Delete
  2. It's interesting you gave the shout out to needing to be Ramsay- having bought his course, I can say that his recipes are generally so basic that it's almost impossible to truly screw them up. You can fail at the technique and still have a great meal out of it- I know I did for about a week, as in the Seuss vein with the wife traveling for business a few years back I had "Steak for Supper" every night for a week. And by evening three, I was certain I was hitting his pan cooking technique on all cylinders to a point the man himself would have enjoyed the meal.

    You know, if you like cajun/creole, a number of folks have come together to put like 30 odd episodes of Justin Wilson on YouTube. His stuff was always simple too- and most of those recipes simply require letting them simmer themselves into happy oblivion...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love me some Cajun food. I'll have to check those out. I think between you and Juvat I may just survive!

      Delete
    2. I'll post some up to my wall after bit and tag you.

      Delete
  3. Sound to me like a really good opportunity to get out with your camera a little more and learn how to make it do crazy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice. I did that with mine and I am still trying to figure it out. Where do they get these ideas to include in cameras these days?

      Delete
    2. D'oh. Why didn't I think of that, Skip?

      Delete
    3. Dave, cameras these days can be fairly complex, I need to learn to play with all the non-automagic features on mine.

      Who knows? Maybe I'll learn something.

      Delete
    4. Mine's all automagic so I gotta fake it out.
      It's hard to do in bright Sun or full dark.

      Delete
    5. I think I can go manual. I just need to find, you guessed it, the manual.

      Delete
  4. Since we moved to the beach, I really miss my Japanese Garden. I worked on it for thirty years, knew every rock by name. Here, I tend an herb garden for the folks. Got attacked by fire ants second time in and am still recovering. Screw the basil and mint.
    The view, the sand and the ocean are wonderful. Couldn't have lived liked this in California for less than a bunch of $$. Does tend to rain and blow some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some experience with the fire ants down there in the Southeast, little barstewards are no fun at all.

      View, sand, ocean are all awesome but I think I'd be lost without my wife's garden.

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful home, inside and out that you and your wife have created. Enjoy the brief down time, as hard as that can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brigid.

      I am enjoying the down time to a certain extent. I read three new books and have a few of my older books queued up to read again.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful place! Peace and quiet works! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This feature in your yard is truly amazing.
    Did you do this all by yourself or did you have some people design and install this for you?
    Your pictures and photo subjects are just superb.
    This would be nice being placed in my front or back yard or both.
    Heltau

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heltau. We did all the work ourselves, my wife's design.

      It's nice to have.

      Delete
  8. What becomes of the fish in the winter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They go to the bottom of the deep end and go dormant. If I keep a spot ice free they do well. Keeping a hole in the ice is key.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.