Thursday, December 8, 2016

Ave Atque Vale

Colonel John Herschel Glenn Jr., USMC
July 18, 1921 - December 8, 2016 
It is with sadness that I note the passing of a true American hero.

Husband...

Father...

Patriot...

Marine...

Astronaut...

Senator...

Sad that he is gone, yet grateful that our country had him for as long as we did. One of the men I truly looked up to as a kid. He reached for the stars.

Now he is there...

High Flight 
"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds -
and done a hundred things You have not dreamed of -
wheeled and soared and swung high in the sunlit silence.
Hovering there I've chased the shouting wind along
and flung my eager craft through footless halls of air.

"Up, up the long delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,
where never lark, or even eagle, flew;
and, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
the high untrespassed sanctity of space,
put out my hand and touched the face of God."

Pilot Officer John Gillespie Magee, Jr.
Godspeed Sir, we'll see you on the other side.



2 comments:

  1. Yeah. I remember back when we had a real space program. John Glenn was one of the pioneers. Truly the "Right Stuff". R.I.P.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.