Thursday, March 30, 2017

So, What Are We?

Tragedy and Comedy (Source)
I was reminded the other day of a comment Buck made around the time James Gandolfini died.

 Dang. Are you turnin' into an Obit-Blog? ;-)

I'd tell you why that comment popped into my head - the circumstances, meteorological conditions, sea state, scents, odors, etc. - but a look into the way my mind works is far beyond the scope of this post. It would also probably require the services of any number of psychiatrists, behavioral psychologists, zoologists, animal trainers, and the like, (perhaps even a cattle prod or two) to even begin to understand the way my mind works. Also, ain't nobody got time fo' that, to cite an old Internet meme.

But, you guessed it, I digress.

The reason I bring all this up is that in my travels through the blogosphere, I read many types of blogs. Political blogs, humor blogs, opinion blogs, historical blogs, controversial blogs, what I like to call "musing" type blogs, and all sorts in between. I even read a few liberal blogs.

Whoa, wait, what? Sarge, seriously, liberal blogs?

Yes, yes indeed. I like to get both sides of an issue. While my blog list is heavily conservative, there are a few liberals over there. Perhaps even a progressive hiding in the weeds. Now if a blog is unrelentingly screeching and harping on liberal and progressive themes (sans benefit of either logic or fact), well, it drops off the list pretty fast. Atheists? Nope, not for a minute if they're strident about it and come across as vehemently anti-God. While I respect the fact that they have their own beliefs and opinions, I don't have to read them. Nor will I inflict them on my readers. 'Tis a matter of personal preference.

Yes, I did say "my readers." While Juvat and Tuna are very important pieces of the great big machine that is The Chant, I am the proprietor, the Inhaber, the Colonel of the regiment, if you will. While I do listen to suggestions from the staff, no really Tuna, I do, and I value their input, seriously Tuna, I do, I am the final arbiter of what you see here at The Chant. Truth be told, I would never censor either of those fellows, I don't have to, we are of like minds on many things. If not most.

For instance, Juvat, for example, might tell me about a website that he finds interesting, I will add it, regardless of whether or not I personally find it interesting. Not that that has ever happened, he suggested one that I recall, I like it and...

What? What's that? Why am I picking on Tuna?

Ah, well, you see, he and his lovely wife (he, like me, outkicked his coverage) are, last I knew, taking a cruise upon the ocean blue, while Juvat and I slave at our respective salt mines, noses to the grindstone. So yes, I'm jealous that he's on vacation and I'm not. Would I have been healthy when Juvat and his lovely wife were on vacation (see comment and link above regarding coverage) I would have whined about that as well.

Now where was I? Oh yeah, what sort of blog is this? (While that's not really where I was before that last digression, it's where I wanted to go. See the paragraph above as to how my mind works. Or not.)

Some days we do serious. Might be current events, might be a death, might be a bit of historical stuff. Might be a tale of a hero. We do those a lot. Some days we rant, other days we are goofy. Well, Tuna and Yours Truly do goofy, Juvat is more reserved and keeps his gravitas intact in his posts. Yes, he will occasionally "go wild" in the comments, but normally his posts tend to be more on the serious side.

Unless he's assaulting castles in Scotland.

The Chant is a mélange of educational, motivational, and humorous stuff which swirls in a kaleidoscope of colors and sights and sounds and...

Really?

Well, that's how I like to think of it.

Your mileage might vary...

Then there's this -
This is my blog. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My blog is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my blog is useless. Without my blog, I am useless. I must write my blog well. I must write better than my competitor who is trying to exceed my page views. I must out write him before he out writes me. I will...

My blog and I have love knowing that what counts in blogging is not the number of posts we write, the brilliance of our words, nor the controversy or laughter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit... My blog is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its features and its tools.

I will keep my blog clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before Lex and Buck, I swear this creed. My blog and myself are the entertainers and educators of The Chanters. We are the masters of our competition. We are the saviors of my sanity.

So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace.
Like Hizzoner said -
Blogito ergo sum



22 comments:

  1. "Juvat is more reserved and keeps his gravitas intact in his posts."
    Me? Reserved? Man! I gots to get me some of those wheaties you've been eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I was sure that your eagle eye would spot that phantom dig.

      :)

      Delete
  2. Even with a "D"in Latin, I am sure there was no such word as "Blogito" However, I believe blogitamus for much the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked your Latin post, here at The Chant we are firm believers in Semper Gumby - "Always Flexible."

      As to "blogitamus," I read an interesting discussion about that here.

      You Romans...

      Delete
    2. I read blogitamus and think, if you do, you'll have to clean it up.

      Your blog is a veritable cornucopia of information that interests anyone with some curiousity and a desire ti broaden their horizons.
      It is always entertaining.

      Delete
  3. So, if you " blogitamus " and need to clean it up, will you need a mop or will a broom and dustpan do?

    Paul L. Quandt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd bring all three, because

      Nunquam novi vos.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry. Despite having sat through two years of Latin in high school, it's all Greek to me.

      Paul

      Delete
    3. Hahaha!

      So Είναι όλα ελληνικά για μένα.?

      Delete
    4. Naw, in my line of work, it's all Geek to me!

      Delete
    5. Hahaha!

      I so get that. (As you might imagine, we have more than a few where I work.)

      Delete
  4. Ruh-roh. I had no idea this blogging stuff was so serious. Sigh...

    "THIS IS MY BLOG, THIS IS MY GUN, THIS ONE'S FOR ED-JOO-TAINING, THIS ONE'S FOR FUN..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoken like an Old Sergeant!

      Delete
    2. Ahem. "Old?"

      Well, that is my schtick innit?

      Delete
    3. Old AF! Outside the context of this blog, "af" (as in "dumb af", "ugly af") is shorthand for "as f---". I've never figured out whether this is intentional on your part, or not. You're both Old AF and old af? No, offense or anything :P

      Delete
    4. Completely unintentional I assure you. (As in, "I did not know that!")

      But yes, Old AF and old af. I kinda like that. ;)

      Delete
  5. ... Also, those masks are creepy. The one on the right looks like a drunken Michael Moore, and the "tragedy" face? I had an ex who had that crosseyed look when, uh, oh nevermind. FAMILY blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought they were a bit weird. But ya know, "culture!" (Also as they're Roman they go well with the Latin bit at the end.)

      Good eye bear.

      Delete
  6. And what a lovely cruise it was. I whole heartedly agree with your football analogy, every single day.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.