Tuesday, September 26, 2017

It Was Fun While It Lasted...

(Source)
For those who aren't aware of the ongoing brouhaha in the professional sports world (specifically football and, to a somewhat lesser extent, baseball), you can read a bit about it here, I'll just say this - while I concede the players' right to disrespect the National Anthem, the flag, and all those who have served, fought, and died for that right, I don't have to like it, and I most emphatically don't. Those same players are, quite frankly, not going to pull any punches here, pissing on those who served, fought, and died for their right to protest, um, er, something.

They're also pissing on the fans, the folks who pay their over-inflated salaries by buying tickets, buying the stuff advertised during the games, and buying all the merchandise the league offers, online, at the stadiums, and at most major sporting goods stores. I don't think they can do that for long. I mean attendance is (from what I understand) down and TV viewership is also down.

I guess this latest upheaval came about because of something the Prez said. I mean really, I think I get it, but in reality I don't. While this country has some lingering problems with racism, sexism, whatever-ism, we're still a lot better off than the majority of the rest of the planet.

Try this protest crap in China, Russia, Turkey, damned near any country in Africa, and the odds are pretty good that the protestors would be arrested. Then probably tortured, imprisoned, maybe even executed, depending on the country.

Yes, yes, I know, I know - just because things are far worse elsewhere doesn't mean they can't be better here. But kneeling on the sidelines during the National Anthem isn't going to fix anything. It isn't going to help that kid in the projects being raised by his grandmother because mama's working two jobs trying to make ends meet and the "baby daddy" is in prison, or on the street, or otherwise doesn't give a flaming fire truck about the kid or the mother.

These protests aren't going to help the Hispanic kids whose parents entered the country illegally then had the kid here in the U.S.A. so BINGO, instant citizen. Unfortunately, though mom and dad may work their asses off, because they can't speak English and the little guy only knows Spanish and the schools have to teach them in Spanish (which isn't going to get them any good paying jobs in the future, hey, America, we speak English here) or not teach them at all.

Because they are illegals (no they are not "undocumented" immigrants, they are ILLEGAL aliens) they can't (in most states) vote, collect assistance, or otherwise have all the rights and privileges of citizens (and the states where they are treated as citizens are rapidly going broke and will start looking to the Feds for money, that's right YOUR money). It literally sucks to be them, and ya know what, most of them are hard workers. But they're not citizens. Period. Full stop.

Now there are professional athletes who do volunteer work in the community to try and make things better. But I don't believe those a-holes taking a knee during the Anthem really give a crap about the poor and the downtrodden, who, by the way, come in all colors, including white. The kneelers are "virtue signaling," they're fire trucking social justice (whatever the Hell that is) "warriors" who want publicity. Do they really think that mainstream America is going to care about their antics?

Yeah, just like we give a crap about "antifa." (Is it just me or does anyone else think "antifa" sounds awfully close to "intifada"?)

My love affair with professional football is over. Dead. Passed on. Joined the choir invisible and is now an ex-love affair.

Well, on the bright side, it certainly frees up my schedule. (Actually I haven't watched much since about five years ago, I did watch the playoffs, but I may even give that a pass now.) I'll still watch the Army-Navy game but even that is starting to wear thin. Ever since the academies went Division I, I'm not so sure that they recruit freshman based solely upon their potential to be officers in the Armed Forces. I mean most of 'em yes, but there are a few, let's admit it, who are there to play football.

Yeah, that was my shocked face. On that score, I think West Point is not as guilty as Annapolis. As for the Air Force Academy, I don't really know.

It was fun while it lasted. Watched the Packers and the Cowboys in the Ice Bowl. Saw The Drive. Couldn't believe The Fumble. Celebrated The Tuck Rule. I've watch a lot of games since I was a lad of 12, back in 19 and 65, back when Lombardi prowled the sidelines. When players stayed with one team their whole career and when they had to have real jobs in the off season.

But those days are gone.

I'm done.



26 comments:

  1. The right to protest and to disrespect the flag is why this country is so great. One Black American (whose adoptive family is white) felt the need to raise awareness to his perceived violence against blacks...I'm white, I don't see what he sees, so it is difficult for me to judge. He chose a method that disrespects the flag, I'm not sure that was his intent, but it was the effect. People came down on him heavy and other blacks decided to support him and then white teammates felt the need to support their teammates...football is a team sport like no other and team unity is important so even if some players do not support the flag disrespect they felt the need to support their teammates. Trump, who I like because he is not afraid to speak his mind, spoke his mind when I think he should have stayed silent, so anti-trumpers now felt the need to to join in as Trump is hated by so many and the media loves to feed the hate by blowing up every word he tweets. I hope all teams do what Dallas did. THe entire team including coaches and owner took the field before the anthem and took a knee saying "We support our football brothers in their right to protest, we are a team and we also will stand as a team for the anthem. Point made, protest acknowledged, team unity preserved and understood.

    Play ball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I'm done also. I've never been one to watch sports on TV, I find it boring. Except football. Football has been a passion for me since I was a kid and Kendy has always claimed to be a football widow starting in September and lasting till the Superbowl. I agree that these sports figures have the right under free speech to disrespect the anthem and our flag but it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do!! And like you, I'm going to have a lot of free time on my hands this fall for other pursuits. It's a good thing I like to read and I'm already browsing for more good books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dropped the NFL after Coach Landry left. I quit watching "Football Without Pads" When Bird was a Celtic, and the Texas Rangers kept falling apart after the all star break in the 70's. I've had real hobbies, and I haven't missed out on social interaction as a result.

    I think it's kinda neat how the attention is now on Trump's tweet, not the Obamacare fight in the legislature. He seems to be the master of redirection. He holds all the strings and the media just jump all over when he pulls them. I like that better than mutation.... I mean sports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right.

      Delete
    2. What Obamacare fight? Three supposedly Republicans came out openly to say they would vote no, so the baby was aborted before they could even schedule a vote. Just guess who the first and most 'famous' one was?

      Fie, fie on both their houses (and senates.)

      Delete
    3. Hear, hear, Andrew. You have the right of it, as usual.

      Delete
  4. Thanks, OAFS, for another great post. I haven't watched American football for many years, so I can't stop as a protest/reaction. It does make me happy that there are people who feel strongly enough about this issue that they are willing to give up something they enjoy(ed) to make a statement.
    To me, this is another play by the left/communists to try to destroy this country of ours. We live in Heinlein's crazy years.

    Paul L. Quandt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is all part and parcel of the progressive drive to destroy our Nation. Couldn't agree more.

      (And welcome back!)

      Delete
  5. We stopped watching the NFL after one or another of their strikes in the '90s, and haven't gone back. Stopped watching the Super Bowl for the commercials about 5 years ago. There is NOTHING in the current state of NFL affairs which would tempt me to go back. I'm so gone, I wasn't even there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Rev. I should have seen the light earlier!

      Delete
  6. Count me as one who views them from a default position of "overpaid thugs" and look for exceptions to that position. I believe the exceptions to be very few and very, very far between. Consequently, my viewing of professional (and I use that term loosely) sports is non-existent. Like you, I'm starting to see that loathsome attitude leaking down into College Sports and even into High School and below. So, I may watch a portion of a college game, but it doesn't take much distraction for me to turn it off. "Honey, will you take the trash out?" is good enough for me.
    As you say, "I'm Done." Anything I can do to hasten the end of professional sports, I will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lost interest about five years ago and found other things to do on Sunday afternoons.
    I suppose I could get totally blistered about the player protests if the players were totally ignoring the National Anthem and flag by stretching, doing calisthenics, or otherwise ignoring the flag.
    They don't, so I will just continue to ignore the NFL.
    I can't really afford any of their stuff anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my case, ignorance of their activities is truly bliss.

      Delete
  8. I've always thought that those in the entertainment industry should keep their opinions cordial, unoffensive, and possibly silent. You risk offending one half of your audience whom you depend on for your livelihood. The NFL is cutting their own throats and I would bet that you'll find far more fans offended by the kneeling, than you will loving it. The thing is, is that these protests (and yesterday's was more against Trump than the original issue) don't do a damn thing to help. It's like wearing a little pink ribbon- it only tells people "Look at me! I care!" They'd be better served to tutor kids in reading in the inner city, coach minority kids at a rec-center, speak out against the lack of fathers and promiscuity, admit that there are far more black on black murders than police shootings, where the majority were violent, aggressive, and not following the orders of the police. Kneeling during the anthem pisses people off and is divisive, no matter whether or not that's the intent. "Solidarity for people who have no voice?" Solidarity is crap- do something about it. I'm watching NASCAR on Sundays. They know their audience and respect the Anthem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarge, did that guy just call you an OAF? Does that still mean what it used to mean?? : )
    Yeah, I swore off the NFL last year after Colon took the knee. I'd done it once years before, over lousy officiating, but eventually I came back. Doubt that will happen again. As far as "role models", NFL players are arrested an average of one every seven days. There's even a site that chronicles their run ins with the law, if you're so inclined: NFLarrests.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahem, OAFS. It's OAFS, not OAF, though I can be an oaf at times, I must confess.

      As to the website -> Due to extreme traffic, http://NFLArrest.com is currently down.

      Gee, can't imagine why.

      Delete
    2. The website has a widget, you hover over each team and it shows you the breakdown of the arrests. Hint DUI is very popular in the NFL!

      Delete
    3. DUI? No, say it ain't so.

      (This is my surprised face.)

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.