Sunday, July 14, 2019

To My Kids

21 July 2018
It was nearly a year ago that The WSO and I laid in a course for Boston and sallied forth to see the Foo Fighters at Fenway Park. A tale I recorded here, for posterity dontcha know? Anyhoo, I remember that day with great fondness, it reminds me of a number of times that my adult children have treated their old man to some seriously good times. (Not sure what I ever did to deserve such great kids, I credit The Missus Herself with being an incredible mother. She raised 'em right. Sure, I helped, a little, mostly her though.)

At any rate, thanks to my kids I've been to a U.S. Navy ship christening, USS Nitze (DDG 94, The Naviguesser's second ship), and two ship commissioning ceremonies, USS Nitze and USS Colorado (SSN 788), the latter courtesy of The Nuke.

I've had the chance to ride two aircraft carriers, USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) and USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76). The former was thanks to The Nuke, she was in ship's company as a nuclear propulsion officer, and the latter was thanks to The WSO, she was in USS Ronald Reagan's air wing as a Naval Flight Officer.

I still remember the day I was out in California visiting The WSO and her tribe when my son motored down from where he lives, over a two hour drive, and asked if I'd like to go down to Sandy Eggo for the day. The plan was to pop by The Shakespeare Pub & Grill for a spot of lunch, a place where Lex used to "hold court," as it were. While there I got to meet Tuna face to face for the first time and the good Cap'n of HMS Defiant and his lady.

We had a nice repast, had a Guinness or two (surprise, surprise), and great conversation. It was an afternoon well-spent. While there my son took me over to Fort Rosecrans, where the earthly remains of Captain Carroll F. LeFon, Jr. are interred. It was a very emotional day and my son drove us ten hours, round trip, just so his Dad could visit a place very meaningful to hisself. Long drive but we got to spend some father/son time together which we hadn't been able to do since he was in college. Now here he was, all grown up, five years in the Navy under his belt, chauffeuring the old man around Southern California.

Had a nice surprise from The Nuke a couple of Christmases ago, a chance to attend a Denver Broncos game live and in person. (Photo of us is in this post. Okay, we're hard to see, trust me, it's The Nuke and Your Humble Scribe.) Now that was a lot of fun. The roar of the crowd, football on the field, and a rather nice bratwurst for half-time. A bit different from the Christmas dinner we'd shared in the officers' mess on USS Dwight D. Eisenhower when she was in port at Norfolk, but every bit as special.

The WSO also surprised me with a trip to the F/A-18E simulator out at NAS Lemoore, courtesy of her husband, Big Time. That tale was told here, can't believe it was six years ago!

Anyhoo, the kids treat their old man pretty damned good, it's humbled I am.

Now t'other day on the Book of Faces, loyal reader Valory mentioned that "we've never seen these kids." While I'm sure she has, I thought I'd reprise a cuppla pictures from when the youngest granddaughter was baptized out Sandy Eggo way. Might be before Valory became a Chanter, but the following photos are from this post.

Going round the table in a clockwise fashion:
Your Humble Scribe, Big Time's Dad, Big Time's Mom, Big Time's uncle, Big Time's brother, Big Time's SIL, my DIL,
The Owl (The Naviguesser's youngest), The NaviguesserBig Oh (The Naviguesser's oldest), Little Bit (The WSO's oldest), The WSO, Big Time, The Nuke (holding L'il Sweetie, the youngest of all the grand-progeny),
and (of course) the lovely lady who is my wife, The Missus Herself.
The same crowd, taken from the other end of the table.
FWIW, the finger is much better, hence the longer post, and continues to improve. I may be back to strumming and drumming in a few weeks. Yes, spare a thought for the lovely lady who is The Missus Herself, I'm sure she can hardly wait.

🤔




20 comments:

  1. Very Nice Pics of a Very Nice Family!! And isn't it great when you work at raising up polite children and then they turn around and are just absolutely fantastic people. You're like "Wow, he turned out all right after all!" Very Cool!!!


    Enjoy your family time Sarge…


    Wow!! I think I am first today...and it isn't crack of o'dark 30...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fine looking family and their achievements show that they were raised by good parents.

    Where did you get the dining out force field that keeps every other patron far away from your group?

    Good post, and I'm smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a mid-afternoon meal, we were the only customers in the place.

      May have been by design as Big Time's Dad set it up. A great time.

      Delete
  3. Yep, some good kids there. I'm happy to have met most of them. I'm sure I'll meet the Nuke at some point on one of my Navy Yard trips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fine looking crew there Sarge. Man, three and a half years ago for the last two photos........ time gallops by eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does, turn around, and it's gone.

      Delete
  5. Be careful, Sarge, or Valory will assigning you picture taking expeditions. 🤪

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Old AFSarge;

    You and the misses done good. Seeing how your kids act and behave gives me hope for the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of good kids out there, the idiots get all the press. But I think you know that,

      Delete
  7. Nice looking family, enjoy your time with them.

    Thanks for the post.
    Paul L. Quandt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ya done good in the offspring department, there, Gandalf!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish the Rolling Stones had payed at Fenway Park. Gillette Stadium was an echo chamber. I have seen the Stones 4 times now, about every 12 or so years. This last time was by far the worst and it cost the most by far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fenway is a great venue, the stage was in center field and the sound was great.

      Too bad about the Stones.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.