Sunday, January 26, 2020

Sunday Reflections


Back during the waning of the last Ice Age (well, okay it wasn't that long ago, feels like it though) I used to wonder what I was going to do with my life. There were times living out at Buckingham Palace (mentioned here and here) where I would sit in my room, listen to music and just wonder. What the Hell was I doing, where the Hell was I going?

Well, I know now, don't I?

It's a wet, rainy, somewhat chilly Saturday night here in the 401. The feline staff, The Missus Herself, and Your Humble Scribe are all tucked away in our comfortable suburban home. The cats are sleeping, the wife is chatting with her Korean friends (don't let the media fool you, Saturday was Korean New Year, not Chinese New Year* - so 새해 복 많이 받으세요 to everyone), and I am writing a post. This post.

But the writing of was yesterday as you read, it's in the past. And in the past I was often not a happy camper, until I met The Missus Herself. Things are good now, awfully good. I have no complaints, nothing big anyway. I am, as they say, blessed.

I'm inside.



Inside
Ian Anderson

All the places I've been make it hard to begin
To enjoy life again on the inside, but I mean to
Take a walk around the block
And be glad that I've got
Me some time to be in from the outside
And inside with you

I'm sitting on the corner feeling glad
Got no money coming in but I can't be sad
That was the best cup of coffee I ever had
And I won't worry about a thing because we've got it made
Here on the inside, outside so far away

And we'll laugh and we'll sing
Get someone to bring
Our friends here for tea in the evening
Old Jeffrey makes three...

Take a walk in the park
Does the wind in the dark
Sound like music to you?
Well I'm thinking it does to me

Can you cook, can you sew?
Well, I don't want to know
That is not what you need on the inside
To make the time go

Counting lambs, counting sheep
We will fall into sleep
And awake to a new day of living
And loving you so

I don't have much to say today, but man, I have so much to be thankful for. Y'all are a big part of that.




* Okay, it was that too, but we're not Chinese are we? Properly, it was the Lunar New Year.

28 comments:

  1. Ya.... the road ahead is shorter than the road back but then that's not new, every generation faces it. Jethro Tull had a unique sound and they bring back memories. Now this place is one to be thankful for Sarge. Time to crank up breakfast and see what the count is on the China virus. Passed out a few N95 masks to a friend yesterday, she said she was going for more dog food and water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another gift from China. Geez.

      Delete
    2. Rural China, bringing plagues and influenzas to the civilized world since the time of the Pharaohs. Seriously.

      Delete
  2. I just wonder when I’m gonna feel as wise as I believe folks my age should be.
    Sometimes it still feels like the first day of school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're learning, you're living. Stop learning...

      A good thing, I'm thinking.

      Delete
  3. Jethro Tull got off the evening British Airways flight some years ago in Philly, but Ian Anderson wasn't on that flight with the band.
    One of my very young co-workers asked, "Which one is Jethro Tull?" Sigh.
    After the passengers left the arrival hall, we had a brief air guitar concert of us singing random lyrics from Aqualung.

    Part of the retirement experience has been to learn new things that I just didn't have time for when I was working.

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few years back the wife and I had a really tough spell. To the point of living in the Sunday school room at church for a few months. We knew that, even with that, we were blessed beyond measure. Better off than maybe 75% of the people alive. We had secure shelter. We had food (food stamps and donations from other members of the parish), we had a place to cook (church hall), we had sanitary facilities in the hall. We had clean water. More importantly we have a God Who loves us, and we had each other.

    Blessed beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You survived, together. That's the important thing. So many people... don't. They shatter their marriage at the least little thing, thinking marriage is just a thin, glass ornament in their lives.

      What you have for a marriage may be made of glass and be a round ball, but it's more Japanese fishing float or solid marble, full of substance, than just a pretty ornament.

      You are blessed to know true love.

      Delete
    2. Joe - Having a church home is wonderful, sounds like you and your wife have a strong relationship. Truly a blessing.

      Delete
  5. I am amazed daily that I made it this far, that I am still alive, and that I am still married.

    Mrs. Andrew saved me. Saved me from myself, my ghosts, my guilts, my fears. In one of the most lucid, coherent extended moments of my life I asked her to marry me (many many times) and she finally said yes.

    It hasn't been the best of times sometimes, of which I take responsibility for, but... we survived together. She saved me, over and over and over. It was the least I could do to save her back.

    People think we're weird because we'll just blurt out, "I love you," to each other all the time.

    In fact, at one time, she asked me why I say that all the time, like all the time. My answer was, is and will be, that I almost lost her (several times) and I wanted/want/will want her to have heard those words constantly.

    And so we've survived 33 years so far, and I'm looking forward to at least infinity, maybe beyond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A similar experience here. I don't see myself being still alive if I hadn't met her.

      (Persistence is good, innit?)

      Delete
  6. Waking up alive is always my best start to the day.
    Jethrow Tull songs are regular guests in ‘Hog Towers’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good start indeed.

      Had the pleasure of seeing Jethro Tull live some years back. They sound great live.

      Delete
  7. Just curious...do you like Steeleye Span? A number of people I know who like one like the other as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of them before this, gave 'em a listen. Yes, I like them, very much!

      Thanks for that Captain Obvious!

      Delete
  8. You wondering where you were going and what you were doing gave me pause. I wonder if at the time one figures it out, they then wonder if it was the right path for them. I have no idea if I'm on the path intended for me, but who's to say what "intended" really means? God? I don't think he answers those questions directly. It's kind of a moot point unless one wants to try for something completely different. I just try to do a good job on the path I'm on, and eventually leaving this world a little better than I found it, at least for what I can influence. BTW- the VW link was a nice trip down memory lane. You'd have to re-read the comments, did you ever write a post regarding my misspelling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He may not answer things like that directly, but I've felt a subtle nudge or two in my life. Who else could it be?

      I never wrote a post on your "Beatles" versus "Beetles" typo. (I always call them typos.) No point in being overly picky as to spelling/typing/grammar. If we communicate effectively, who cares if an English teacher would have a cow over it? (If I had a dollar for every type/misspelling/grammar error I've ever made...)

      Delete
  9. Oh, I didn't specifically meme the typo, but a post about the Beatles since you grew up in their era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, gomen nasai, yes, yes I have. Here for one, though there are other passing references to the boys from Liverpool around.

      Delete
    2. Not being a big Beatles fan, I guess I missed that one!

      Delete
    3. It happens, folks can't spend all their time here at The Chant.

      Delete
  10. So many "insides," like the retreating images you see when standing between parallel mirrors or when watching Spaceballs.

    I get cranky when dealing with professional victims and whiners, which I believe is the Big Aircrew Chief's way of reminding me that I tend toward professional victimhood and whining. The Chief's pretty good at giving me direction, and doesn't seem to feel the need for the whole burning bush thing. Which is so neolithic.

    Thanks for sparking some contemplation Sarge and Chant Clan!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.