Pages

Praetorium Honoris

Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Capt Eli L. Whiteley Medal of Honor US Army

 

 Ok, a slight deviation from my usual Medal of Honor recipient list.  That list has and will contain all the Medal of Honor recipients from the USAF and it's preceding organizations.  I have veered occasionally when I've come across a hero that interested me.  (OK, every one I've read about has interested me. Mea Culpa!)

This one is one of 9 that have a special interest for me.  All 9 are alumni from a College in Texas that I did not attend, but my children have and my grandchildren will.  I'll give you out of town folks a hint, it's located in College Station TX.  Anyhow, on with the show!

photo
Source

 

This fine gentleman is Captain Eli Lamar Whitely, an infantry man in the US Army.  Born in 1913, he was a little older than the average draftee in to the Army in WWII.  He was drafted in 1942.  (You can do the math.)

For those of you interested in the details of how he got to where he got, there's a well written and detailed article Here.  I'll be waiting til you get back.

 

 

Source



So, welcome back.  Capt. Whitely is now assigned as a rifle-platoon leader in Company L, Fifteenth Infantry Regiment, Third Infantry Division in France which quickly moved into Germany.  As they approached a village named Bennwihr, they ran into stiff opposition.  He entered that food fight with 125 troops and only had 56 operationally capable at the end of the day. Sometimes the enemy has an edge.

 

 

Looked a bit different back then!   Source


Or from a different view. I suspect that air power and artillery had something to do in prepping this picture.


Source

And now

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%2Fid%2FOIP.HS_PinJMgv-QSxf6r_e5lQHaEK%3Fr%3D0%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=b228b759e80b93b32114c8357304a362058316668435440f06899b64b19e510e&ipo=images
Source

 The next day they attacked the nearby village of Sigolsheim with similar preparation.

 However, the opposition was a bit stiffer.

"On December 27 Lieutenant Whitley distinguished himself as he led his platoon in “savage house-to-house fighting.” Making use of a submachine gun, grenades, and a bazooka, Whiteley aggressively attacked three houses, lost an eye, suffered severe wounds, and “killed 9 Germans, captured 23 more and spearheaded an attack which cracked the core of enemy resistance in a vital area.”  Source

 

photo

Source

 For this leadership and execution he was awarded the Medal of honor, which was pinned on him by President Truman.

After recovering from wounds and medically discharged, he returned to Texas A&M and earned his PhD in Agronomy, passing away in 1986. Rest in Peace, Sir! 

Where do we find such warriors! 

Citation for the Medal of Honor to Dr. Eli Lamar Whitelyey

While leading his platoon on 27 December 1944, in savage house-to-house fighting through the fortress town of Sigolsheim, Germany, he attacked a building through a street swept by withering mortar and automatic-weapon fire. He was hit and severely wounded in the arm and shoulder; but he charged into the house alone and killed its two defenders. Hurling smoke and fragmentation grenades before him, he reached the next house and stormed inside, killing two and capturing 11 of the enemy. He continued leading his platoon in the extremely dangerous task of clearing hostile troops from strongpoints along the street until he reached a building held by fanatical Nazi troops. Although suffering from wounds which had rendered his left arm useless, he advanced on this strongly defended house and, after blasting out a wall with bazooka fire, charged through a hail of bullets. Wedging his submachine gun under his uninjured arm, he rushed into the house through the hole torn by his rockets, killed five of the enemy, and forced the remaining 12 to surrender. As he emerged to continue his fearless attack, he was again hit and critically wounded. In agony and with one eye pierced by a shell fragment, he shouted for his men to follow him to the next house. He was determined to stay in the fighting and remained at the head of his platoon until forcibly evacuated. By his disregard for personal safety, his aggressiveness while suffering from severe wounds, his determined leadership and superb courage, 1st Lt. Whiteley killed nine Germans, captured 23 more, and spearheaded an attack which cracked the core of enemy resistance in a vital area.

 

Sounds like a Hero to me! 

 

For those of you "mapophiles"

The village is marked by the 1 above Colmar 

DuckDuckGo 

 

Map of Sigolsheim Wikipedia

 

Sources

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eli_L._Whiteley

https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/whiteley-eli-lamar 

10 comments:

  1. "Determined" is only a pale description of what this Hero did that December day juvat. Reading that link provided he put his name into the draft in "42 at age twenty eight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the thing (many things) I like about this guy is his "Never Give Up, Never Surrender" attitude. Lost an eye, had other wounds, kills 9 enemy and captures 23 others. I would've loved to meet him. Unfortunately, I'm a little late for that. Sir, You definitely earned your spot in heaven.
      juvat

      Delete
  2. That is a great picture of him getting awarded his MOH.

    The fact that he got to go back to what he apparently enjoyed after the war was a nice postscript.

    As always, thanks for posting Juvat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THBB,
      My pleasure Sir! I actually enjoy the research. Spent a couple of Years in Army School learning a lot about planning in combat at the Middle level i.e. not battalions, but Corps and above. Eye opening. I'd also like to think that what I added, the USAF equivalent level of war was eye opening for my Army comrades.
      I think he really enjoyed getting back from the war, period. I'd rather be lucky than good.
      Thanks for the thanks THBB.
      juvat

      Delete
  3. "It's only a flesh wound. "
    "What's the fuss about? I made it back, didn't i?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe,
      Only a flesh wound....yeah right. But cojones bigger than basket balls.helps.
      juvat

      Delete
  4. Those were different times, a lot of soldiers were what you might call "older." My great uncle went over there in his late 20s. The draft, it ain't just for the young'uns.

    Excellent entry today, Captain Whitely was a warrior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarge, As to the "older", well it was a "World" war, I suspect there were a lot of draftees in that age group.
      juvat

      Delete
  5. Absolute hero. Glad to have learned about him. Wonderful what A&M has done for his legacy. - Tuna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tuna. I'm going to look into the other 8. Two of which were very recent.
    juvat

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.