Pages

Praetorium Honoris

Monday, September 21, 2026

House Update #3?



 Well, Campers,  a bit of an update on projects and events down here in the Lone Star State.

This was where my Brother's house was left off on our last update.  The "Guys" have been working pretty hard.



The roof is being sealed, siding support is being added.  Quite a bit of progress, there.  Although it may not look like it.

As I said. Quite a bit of progress.

On the other "in progress" project, the Horse Barn.   

As you can see the walls and roof are in.  The stall frames have been delivered, and are next for installation.  Doors and gates should be installed shortly thereafter.  Three remaining important projects still needed are Water, Electricity and Fencing.  Then we can free our horses from their current abode.  (Dusty dirt in their pen, they get to run free in a larger pasture, with grass, a couple of nights a week.  They're looking forward to wandering and grazing at their discretion.)


But....

No progress so far on our house.  The framers are still on my brother's house and will start on ours when finished.  Hopefully, soon.

The builder is still optimistic about a December completion.  We hope so.

Peace out y'all! 

24 comments:

  1. Was wondering how things were going juvat, thanks for the update. The pad for your home certainly has had time to cure eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon,
      Well, the cement curing on the big house (bigger pad) took longer, so the framing guys started on the smaller house. They should be finishing up this week. Then we should see some progress. As to the curing, yep, good to go (in my non-experienced opinion.)
      juvat

      Delete
  2. In Britain we count any day that the builders actually turn up as a success day. We once had a builder who proposed to leave us without heat or running water over Xmas/New Year. Your "guys" are doing pretty well, it seems. Good for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearieme,
      Well, fortunately, these guys have been very dependable. As has the weather, so they're making progress. A builder walking off the job without fulfilling contractual agreements needs to be tarred, feathered and run out of town. But that's just me being forgiving.
      I am happy with their construction skills and can live with the progress so far. Our current lease runs out the end of December. We shall see what will be.
      juvat

      Delete
  3. Looking good. December is good estimate. Looking like maybe 2027 December for the Big House to me, but hope I am wrong.
    Siting for the Bro's and horses homes look perfect- a bit of shade but not too much, too close to be fire hazard.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB, I certainly hope it's earlier than that. All kinds of complications will arise if we aren't done by December. Thanks,
      juvat

      Delete
  4. Progress is there, but is it enough? Guess it's a "wait and see" situation. But to my inexperienced eye, December of this year seems a bit optimistic. A bit ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarge,
      Yeah, me too! Think I'm going to have a conversation with my landlord pretty soon. Don't want her leasing it to someone else and leaving us in a lurch.
      juvat

      Delete
  5. Looking Good! When the little house is done will you be setting up in it with minimal furniture until the Big House is done? A bit of a hassle, to move and move again, but would save you a few sheckles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that might be an option. Not sure what my brother's options are. He's been staying with a friend for a while. Hopefully, he hasn't burned that bridge.
      juvat

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the updates, Juvat. It is always good to see the ordinariness of life in the midst of everything else.

    I trust the contractor, but December seems awfully close...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THBB, Yeah I'm getting a bit nervous. The contractor just got back from a short getaway with his wife (the crew kept working, I checked), so we'll have a "how's it goin'" meeting here shortly. We shall see what will be.
      juvat

      Delete
  7. Jumped on the construction but learned this is not the House of Juvat. Pad to finish (?) by the end of the year? They may need to get out some flood lights for some long days, I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon,
      Could be and that will be painful in a lot of columns. Hopefully not, but....
      juvat

      Delete
  8. Over 15 million visits to the site. Well done, Sarge!
    juvat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be, but I (We?) should say "us" got hits. Just sayin'
      juvat

      Delete
  9. Juvat, I'm no contractor, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but December seems very aspirational. Maybe Christmas will come early for you though! Tuna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should read the comments first- sounds like I'm no alone. - Tuna

      Delete
    2. Tuna,
      What will be will be. We shall see. Gonna have a talk with the contractor and see what he thinks the date will be.
      juvat

      Delete
  10. Being ranch raised I like seeing putting animals first.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheop's Law from building the Great Pyramid: everything takes longer and costs more. You brother's house is roaring right along, have the electricians and plumbers been in for their rough-ins?

    Track your brother's house construction and expect yours to take that much time multiplied by the ratio of the floor plans, and that includes all the interior trades too.

    We have had a very custom house under construction for a while, we are almost dried in (finish stucco layer to go) and the interior framing and rough electric and water are done. My builder thinks we will be done by December but I'm not so sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick,
      That's my concern. Hope not.
      juvat

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.