Pages

Praetorium Honoris

Monday, September 7, 2026

New Home update



 
Well...Happy Labor Day to all you hard working folks out there.  I know that's something to look forward to, as it should be.  However, there comes a time when every day is Labor Day especially if you're married.  
 
Just sayin, honey!
 
Ok, gang, time to update all y'all on the project(s) that are keeping me busy.  I mean besides the posting on various Medal of Honor recipients.  
 
When last we talked about the new home project(s) not much was going up.  As most of you are aware, concrete takes a while to dry and the larger the project the more time is needed.
 
Since my brother's home will be relatively small (he will be living alone), the foundation was also relatively small and dried quite quickly.  It is late summer here in Texas so the heat assisted the curing.  Our house's foundation is still needing a bit more time.
 
This is our slab,  as you can see there are still moist spots
 
That picture was taken last week.  We checked on it Saturday, it still had wet spots.
 
But, as I mentioned, my brother's slab was good to go.  We went out there to see if anything was being done.  When we got there, we had some good news. The builders had started had started framing his house.  The picture below was taken mid-day Friday




As was this one.



A fairly excellent level of progress for one (partial) days work.  We were happy.

We went out to the site, Saturday afternoon to check on the status of the main house's slab.  Alas, even with my non-housing construction knowledge, I could see that it still needed a day or two.  So it shall be.

However there was a bit of good news on the project.   As you can see there has been quite a bit of progress on my brother's house.



 So, I think the proverbial quote "Patience is a virtue" is appropriate here, we shall endeavor to endure.

Peace out y'all. 

28 comments:

  1. Hey now! Good progress indeed on your brother's home juvat, as to your concrete slab.....well....it appears large enough to satisfy Space X......:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon,
      It's not THAT large! :-). A lot of it is patio, which basically surrounds the house. But, come 4th of July next year there WILL be a lot of rockets launched from there.
      juvat

      Delete
  2. Wow! Once the wood starts going up it does seem to move quickly.

    Do endeavor to endure. Just try to avoid thinking about it too much and declaring war on Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe,
      I think you're right and I suspect that they'll start framing this week, We shall see what we shall see.
      I'm a Texan by adoption. I can tolerate heat but not cold. Of course, when it's cold outside you an put on clothes. Apparently there's a law against doing the opposite when it's hot.
      juvat

      Delete
    2. LOL! one wasted oblique movie reference.

      https://youtu.be/hRX6hSGeZs4?is=5JdavzKfILv29Ah6

      Delete
    3. Sarge,
      Oblique, yes, but spot on target. Not that I would know from experience. I ain't that dumb!
      juvat

      Delete
    4. Although, to be honest, I've taken quite a few oblique gun shots, both on film and on a towed gun target (a dart). Been there done that.1
      juvat

      Delete
  3. I like American housing - a concrete slab and some sticks. Is it more complicated if you want a cellar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dearieme,
      Yes, quite difficult in Texas. There's an Earth Layer underneath the topsoil known as caliche (Kuh' Lee Chee). I think that's Spanish for "The Lord's cement". It's EXTREMELY hard. There are some areas where it is not prevalent, but not many and not around here. So...Build it up, young man, build it up.
      juvat(

      Delete
    2. I had an older friend, an engineer, who asked good questions e.g. (i) Why can nobody in Britain build a good cellar when everyone in the Netherlands can? (ii) Why is Britain one of the few countries to have mastered the railway platform, so that you walk straight into your train rather than clamber up into it?

      Delete
    3. Dearieme,
      Two very interesting questions! Doubtful there’s an answer!
      😂
      juvat

      Delete
  4. It's coming along, I'm sure you'd prefer it go faster but ...

    They say patience is a virtue, one I sorely lack, hang in there juvat clan, this too will be completed, some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my youth, one of my absolute favorite bands was Creedence Clearwater Revival. One of my favorite songs of there's has these lyrics.

      "First thing I remember, was asking papa "Why?"
      For there were many things I didn't know
      And Daddy always smiled, took me by the hand
      Saying, "Someday you'll understand"

      Well, I'm here to tell you now, each and every mother's son
      You'd better learn it fast, you'd better learn it young
      'Cause someday never comes

      The time and tears went by, and I collected dust
      For there were many things I didn't know
      When Daddy went away, he said "Try to be a man
      And someday you'll understand"

      Well, I'm here to tell you now, each and every mother's son
      You'd better learn it fast, you'd better learn it young
      'Cause someday never comes!"

      Now...Just try and get those lyrics outta your head, I dare you!
      juvat

      Delete
  5. Great to see actual vertical stuff happening. Horse barn should be not far behind, we hope.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB,
      The horse barn frame is up, but there hasn’t been a lot of progress since. Been a couple of weeks, might be getting time for a “What the heck” call.
      juvat

      Delete
  6. Oh, this is exciting! I love to see progress, especially all kinds of progress. Looking forward to the start of your framing as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THBB
      Hopefully they’ll start this week. We shall see what will be.
      juvat

      Delete
  7. The summer I was 13 I worked as a Cleaner on a work sights with the crew that framed in and roofed the house. I kept the cutting area neat and lumber sorted and neatly stacked and the build area as well. My day started was an hour before the crew went to lunch and I only worked 5 or 6 hours daily. I was paid cash under the table. I learned a lot on that job.

    Tsquared

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tsquared,
      I put myself through college painting houses every summer on the base my Father was stationed at. Yes, I learned an awful lot about manual labor in a very hot and humid (Mississippi) environment.
      juvat

      Delete
  8. Hard labor as a youth is good preperation for adulthood, IMO. I've always been in favor of off site prefabrication for both speed and ending the midnight building supply problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WSF, not only hard labor but “hot” labor is good for the soul. Done both.
      juvat

      Delete
  9. I would assume that a brand new house would have a fairly significant property tax base right? Hoping you have that Texas veteran discount!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Rob,
      Working on it, working on it!
      juvat

      Delete
  11. Some people just don't understand concrete. A few years ago they were replacing a bridge near my house. They poured the abutments and left them sit to cure. After a few weeks neighbors started complaining that nobody was working on the bridge. I told them that there was nothing to do until the concrete cured. "How long is that?" I said "About 90 days." Blew their minds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JimC,
      Well. ....Fortunately, it didn't take that long for out cement to cure. Went out yesterday, all dry and cured. Builders should begin on our house shortly. Not sure how the handoff between my brother's smaller house and ours will be handled, but....Progress.
      juvat

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.