Pages

▼

Praetorium Honoris

▼

Monday, September 28, 2026

Clarence Sasser MOH


 

 

Another Texas A&M Medal of Honor Recipient 

Source

 

This is an interesting story of a hero for a lot (and I DO mean a LOT!) of reasons. 

Specialist 5th Class Sasser was an Army Medic assigned to the Headquarters Company, 3rd Battalion, 60th Infantry Regiment, 9th Infantry Division,Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 3rd Battalion, 60th Infantry Regiment, 9th Infantry Division. 

Man, I'm glad I didn't have to report that assignment on my OER. Talk about writer's cramp!  

On with the show, juvat!  Aye, Sarge.

January 10, 1968, he was assigned to a combat unit which was patrolling on a reconnaissance mission along the Mekong River. They came under fire as soon as the helicopters started landing.  Sasser was hit in the leg.  Other soldiers also required medical treatment so he crawled over to them.  While crawling back and forth, he was wounded by shell fragments.  Disregarding the injuries, he continued crawling to other wounded soldiers and dragging them back to safety, or what was more likely defined as a "safer" location.  I doubt it was "Safe!".  Anyhow, this went on for almost 20 hours and he and the unit were not evacuated until the next day.

Fortunately, he recovered from his wounds and received the Medal of Honor from President Nixon. 

 

Clarence Sasser, a gray-haired black man standing at a microphone, wearing a medal on a blue ribbon around his neck
Source

 After his medical discharge, he attended Texas A&M studying Chemistry. He did not graduate but received an Honorary Degree in 2014.  

While being interviewed by the Library of Congress, he said "There's no way I could have, in my mind, not went to see about someone when they hollered medic. Repayment of the adulation these guys heaped on you demanded that you go."[ 

He also provided a 4 year, $100,000 scholarship to one Veteran each year.   

He passed away in 2024 at age 76.  

Rest in Peace, Warrior! 

 

Medal of Honor Citation to SP5 Clarence Sesser

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Specialist 5th Class Sasser distinguished himself while assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 3d Battalion. He was serving as a medical aidman with Company A, 3rd Battalion, on a reconnaissance in force operation. His company was making an air assault when suddenly it was taken under heavy small arms, recoilless rifle, machinegun and rocket fire from well fortified enemy positions on three sides of the landing zone. During the first few minutes, over 30 casualties were sustained. Without hesitation, Specialist 5th Class Sasser ran across an open rice paddy through a hail of fire to assist the wounded. After helping one man to safety, he was painfully wounded in the left shoulder by fragments of an exploding rocket. Refusing medical attention, he ran through a barrage of rocket and automatic weapons fire to aid casualties of the initial attack and, after giving them urgently needed treatment, continued to search for other wounded. Despite two additional wounds immobilizing his legs, he dragged himself through the mud toward another soldier 100 meters away. Although in agonizing pain and faint from loss of blood, Specialist 5th Class Sasser reached the man, treated him, and proceeded on to encourage another group of soldiers to crawl 200 meters to relative safety. There he attended their wounds for five hours until they were evacuated. Specialist 5th Class Sasser's extraordinary heroism is in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflects great credit upon himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army. 

 

Sources

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Sasser 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chenango,_Texas 

https://stories.tamu.edu/stories/9-medal-of-honor-recipients-remembered-for-bravery-and-exemplifying-aggie-core-values/ 


14 comments:

  1. Considering others lives, under heavy enemy fire for almost a day, SP5 Sasser was lucky he didn't bleed out from his wounds. Indeed juvat, what a Warrior!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said,,,a HERO! Wounded 3 times and still carried out his duties, saving his fellow soldiers lives while under heavy gun fire. Pretty much fits the word.
      Rest in Peace, Hero!
      juvat

      Delete
  2. Not just a no-kidding hero, but a wise and generous gentleman as well.
    Thanks for bringing him to our attention.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, I found out about him as I wandered through the Texas A&M Medal of Honor honoree exhibit. More to follow.
      juvat

      Delete
  3. These are all great stories, Juvat. I love this one especially. Not only his courage to keep going back to save men, but then providing a scholarship for years.

    Well done A&M for honouring him with an honorary degree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know where he is now. Taking care of his fellow man is high on the list of Heaven's entry criteria.
      juvat

      Delete
    2. "Not only his courage to keep going back to save men, but then providing a scholarship for years."

      When you think about it it's still "going back to save men." The mentality of service to others doesn't seem to ever go away.

      Delete
    3. Joe,
      I hadn't put that particular "two and two" together, but you're absolutely right! Thanks for pointing that out.
      juvat

      Delete
  4. BZ "Doc". I have a special place in my heart for Army Medics (Navy and Air Force as well) as my Father was a Combat Medic, 120 Ind, 30th Inf "Old Hickory" Division ETO during WWII. He was call 'Doc' by some the rest of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon,
      Yeah, I've known a few in my life and "Doc" was generally what they went by also. I think that's a good and hard earned nickname.
      juvat

      Delete
  5. No greater love ...

    An accolade reserved for many a combat medic, guys who gave so much to keep their comrades alive.

    Godspeed, Mr. Sasser.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ""There's no way I could have, in my mind, not went to see about someone when they hollered medic. Repayment of the adulation these guys heaped on you demanded that you go."

    Fancy way of saying "I can't let these guys know how wrong they are about me." Also the reason for
    Rule 1.) Nobody messes with Doc.
    Rule 2.) There is no rule 2. Nobody messes with Doc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe,
      There's a very big difference between Scared and Cowardice. I'm pretty sure that all folks in combat are scared. Those that stay and do their duty but are scared are definitely not cowards. Those that turn and run (uncommanded) are!
      juvat

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.