![]() |
| Source |
Septober happened.
Early September in these parts is nearly indistinguishable from August, the days are hot but, unlike August, the nights start to get cool. Not cold mind you, cool, think mid-60s. But then the days start leaning towards coolness. Cool enough that I decided that the air conditioning could be shut down, an open window would suffice to cool the Sarge.
One night I awakened and discovered, "Damn it, it's cold in here."
Threw on a blanket and went back to sleep. That day I realized that we were now in that hybrid month which some call Septober. Days are sometimes cool, nights are sometimes cold, like mid-40s cold. A decision was required ...
So I made it, I decreed that the mini-splits would be switched to heat mode so that I would not lay shivering in my bed at night, no, I decided that warmth was good.
With no one to gainsay my decision, comfort returned.
Until this week. I awakened one morning rather overheated, the instruments here at Chez Sarge indicated that the overnight low was 70, yes, 70 degrees.
What?
Actually that's pretty standard Septober weather. Even though the calendar says October, bits of early September keep creeping back in.
So the heat was turned off and the night became comfortable once more.
For a couple of days it's been cooling off again at night. As I write this (Saturday night), the outside air temperature is 55.
Septober, when a pair of months can't figure out which season they need to be. Summer? Fall? Or perhaps a taste of early winter? (Which is rather mild along the southern coast of New England. One of the reasons we settled here rather than in my homeland of Vermont. Well, that and there were no jobs in Vermont for someone of my level of experience, education, and training. I suppose Burlington would have something suitable, but I refuse to return to Beijing on the lake.)
So, as of right now, the heat is off, the windows are closed, and ...
Yup, supposed to rain on Sunday.
Cold and wet, you're a classic my dear Septober.
¹ Miss you Scott.

Took the window air conditioner out a couple of weeks ago and the morning lows have been around 50 since then, daily highs sixties and low seventies. Wool blanket at night Sarge, tomorrow morning down to forty.
ReplyDeleteOne of the benefits of switching to mini-splits was removing the need to install/uninstall window air conditioners.
DeleteWe like to sleep with warm bodies but our noses out in cool air. So we have a bedroom window (at least a small one) open virtually every night of the year. We relent if there's a particularly cold northerly blowing, which in some years never happens. But even if all our windows are closed we still benefit from some fresh air via our fireplace. (52°N).
ReplyDeleteNose out in the cool air, definitely my preferred way of sleeping!
DeleteLow is expected to be 68F overnight tonight. Yes, we have a thin blanket on the bed. One gets used to location temperatures and adapts as needed.
ReplyDeletejuvat
I'm a few hours NE of you (coincidentally moved here from B/CS 16 years ago) and I'm finally seeing night temps below 70°. Still a bit too warm and humid to have the windows open but I'm hoping I can air the house out soon.
Deletecuthach
juvat - So winter comes to Texas! 😉
Deletecuthach - That was another benefit of the more moderate temperatures, the ability to open all the windows and let the place air out.
DeleteSarge, here in New Home 2.0 they have a series of what they refer to as "False Falls" followed by the sequential number (1, 2, etc.). We are currently in False Fall 2 (high yesterday and today of the low '80's) but will be in the low to mid '60's next week by Saturday. I think that might be it.
ReplyDeleteSounds rather similar to what we experience here.
Delete