Pages

▼

Praetorium Honoris

▼

Saturday, October 3, 2026

Well, I've Got The Time, Haven't I?

Source
A few years back, an acquaintance of mine, well a friend really, friend on Facebook but some of those become the "real deal" over time if you share common interests. We did, he is a student of the Napoleonic Wars, as am I. He posted some pictures on Facebook of this game he was playing with a friend of his, out Chicago way.

He posted a few times with pictures and commentary as to how much they enjoyed the game. I was intrigued, so I looked into it. It's a game system really, as I discovered when I ordered it. You really only need the very first module to enjoy the game, which is probably what most people do.

I ain't "most people."

The game is Commands & Colors: Napoleonics by GMT Games. It's colorful, it's fun, and it satisfies my need for really great visuals. But, being as how I wanted the entire set, the original and all the expansions ...

I have a lot of work ahead of me. The game uses painted wooden blocks with stickers on them to represent the various units of the Napoleonic Wars ...

OAFS Photo
The gray blocks are units of the Prussian Army waiting for their stickers to be applied ...

OAFS Photo
A closer look at the stickers, which are applied front and back to those wee wooden blocks.

OAFS Photo
I've finished the units in the first module, which are the British, Portuguese, and French armies (each expansion adds more units to the various armies, the Highland regiments of the British Army didn't show up until the final expansion kit, yup, irked me that did). I've also completed the Spanish, Russian, and Austrian expansion kits. I'm working on the Prussian Army now.

Three of the expansion kits add various bells and whistles, they also add the capability of fighting larger battles where you can have multiple human players on either side.

I waited until I had everything before starting to work on putting it all together, I like knowing that I have everything there is. Bit of a quirk of mine, dontcha know.

Doing the wooden blocks and stickers is easier than the alternative ...

Source

But I've got those too, multiple boxes of small scale (13.5 mm figures) covering the American Civil War, the American Revolution, and (of course) the Napoleonic Wars. I optimistically bought paint sets for the French and British figures, knowing full well that if I paint even twenty figures I'd be lucky. But you never know ...

After all, I've got the time, these hobbies help fill that time.

Hopefully the grandkids will appreciate this stuff someday!





22 comments:

  1. Ah Sarge.......GMT......purveyors of paper crack.......ask me how i know. Time will fly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my youth it was Avalon Hill and SPI, now it's GMT. I have no problem with that!

      Delete
    2. AH, SPI, VG, GMT. Last Saturday was an MMP game about Operation Market Garden. Good times.

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, Victory Games, have a few of those around as well.

      Delete
    4. VG's 2nd Fleet, where I lost my Kiev to a flotilla of Norwegian missile boats... There's a thriving New England gaming community. B17 Queen of the Skies being played in Danielson CT on Nov 14th. JET

      Delete
    5. I think I have all of the "Fleet" games, good times.

      Delete
  2. Fill up the time? No! Fill up the table!

    /
    L.J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, fills the table nicely. Well, depending on one's perspective.

      Delete
    2. Will the table use be tolerated when your wife is back?

      Delete
    3. Uh, lemme think ...

      Not just no but ...

      Delete
  3. Sarge, there is some statement out there that says that we spend most of our adult life realizing that our childhood interests were the things that we really enjoyed and trying to get back to those (true for me, I find).

    The nice thing about being an adult is that we can now afford all the things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've always known that.

      Delete
    2. Enjoy while you are able. Unfortunately the things I enjoyed in my younger days (age 5 until boot camp) have mostly been outlawed. Starting at age 12 I would expend 100 rounds a week of .22 shorts from my bedroom window. At age 10 I was digging quohaugs in polluted waters, the dealers knew from whence they came and shipped all that stuff out of state. It is now unlawful to discharge a firearm (including Daisy BB guns within the town and while I was at RTC Great Lakes the State of R. I. made taking shellfish other than scallops from polluted waters a Felony. I used to buy cartridges at lunchtime as my primary transportation was the school bus, and leave them in my desk until dismissal. the teacher found out about it and I was simply told not to shoot anybody. Guess how that would go over today. Old Guns.

      Delete
    3. Times have changed, in many ways not for the better.

      Delete
  4. (Holding up millionth painted 25mm figure)

    Obsessed? Me? No, I'm not Obsessed.!

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy the painting of the figures, but ...

      It takes a LOT of time to do it nicely.

      Delete
    2. I'd "do it nicely" then add sweat stains, dry brush some of the sludge from the bottom of the thinner jar, grass stains, and a little smudge on the right side of the face for powder stains.

      Delete
    3. For the larger scale figures I'd do that. But for 13 mm, I'd be happy if their jackets and pants were the right color!

      Delete
  5. Enjoy! I appreciate the practicality of the wooden block vs figure approach.
    I did paint some miniatures long ago, but never got into the table top games beyond the very early Avalon-Hill Gettysburg and that only briefly. But, I like chocolate ice cream, and others prefer other flavors, no right or wrong choices, just personal preference, and we can all enjoy our respective choices.

    FWIW, Colonel George Burling Jarrett the noted private collector of WW1 arms and memorabilia who went on to be the head of the Army Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen was also into miniatures.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wargaming since I was about 12, which is a rather long time now that I look at it.

      Delete
  6. Gotta say, my first reaction was; wooden blocks and not a video screen in sight! Yea!
    As long as these are kept out of the rain or a flood, they are nearly forever and EMP-proof. Warms my heart, it does.
    I'm a reader not a gamer; I just bought the "Complete Leatherstocking" series by Cooper to stock at the place we bought near the Grands, which also features a complete Encyclopedia set.
    Things for us that are also " For the ages". Enjoy your new purchase, Sarge!
    Boat Guy

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.