Well....It might be done! The painters were at the house all day Saturday and when I walked up to feed the horses that evening, all the doors were locked. We don't have a key, so I don't know what the actual status really is. But, by the time you read this, I will have called the supervisor and ask him what's up.
Paint and Mirrors were the only remaining parts of the work on the house. The supervisor had asked if we'd be available this week for final walk through.
"Well, Dan, I'm really pretty busy right now. Can we hold off a bit?"
Right, Beans, that was not what I said.
Stumbled into a bit of good luck with regard to the road, and a bit of bad luck with regard to the road.
Ever the optimist, I'll start with the good luck. The company we had talked with about putting down the chip seal portion of the road called and asked if we were still interested. They had quoted us a price of $2/sq ft as a planning factor. The road is 2300' x 10'. (I can do that math without a calculator, $46K).
So that and the concrete water crossings were put into the house budget for $100K. Well, when the guy from the paving company came by and took a look at the actual site, he didn't know we were already going to put in the base. So, he dropped the price to $1.5/sq ft. or $34.5K.
When he called last week, he asked if we were ready to go, because his crew was between jobs this week and were available. If we were, he'd drop the price to $1.35 or just over $31K.
The problem is the low water crossing guy is on vacation this week, and he wasn't enthused when I asked him if the chip seal part could be done first. "Well, you CAN do it that way, but that's not the way I would do it."
When I explained that to the chip seal guy, he said, "Nonsense. You cut the chip seal and that saves you needing to build a frame for that edge of the concrete."
Which seems to make sense to me, but what do I know about this. I'm pondering this when the chip seal guy says, "Tell you what, we'll throw in the two water crossings for free." Well...15K is 15K.
So I told him to go ahead. He's supposed to start at 9 this morning.
I got a decided feel from my concrete guy that he's not actually real interested in the project. I've been trying to get him to commit to pour dates of somewhere between Aug 10 and 21. He's hesitant to do that.
But, because this is all on the house construction loan and that agreement says "All construction completed before Closing" any delay pushes move in later and later. So. If he returns from vacation and can't do it within the window, we'll have chip seal crossings. Not as strong as concrete but still better than mud.
If he can commit, the chip seal crossings can be cut out and concrete poured and it didn't cost us any more than the original plan.
So...we shall see what we shall see.
And by the way. I've discovered what the most terrifying phrase a wife can say to her husband at this time.
"I'm running a fever."
Holy crap, my world went south very quickly there after.
Fortunately, she took some tylenol, took a nap, had a light dinner, went to bed and woke up without a temp. She's got some pain in her stomach area, so she's going to see the doctor this morning. I don't think it's serious, but you just never know.
I've been conversing with the Big Guy a lot lately.