Thursday, January 17, 2013

People Like Videos, Apparently, I Guess

Alright, I'm here to tell you. If you want to get a lot of hits on your blog, ya gotta do videos. Particularly funny videos.

Now I have to admit that the popularity of this here blog has increased in recent weeks. Much to the gratification of my ginormous ego.

Hhhmm, I just noticed that Blogger is okay with the word "ginormous". Which sends me off on a tangent (not that that really takes a lot).

According to Merriam-Webster Online:


Top Ten Favorite Words (Not in the Dictionary)

  1. ginormous (adj): bigger than gigantic and bigger than enormous
  2. confuzzled (adj): confused and puzzled at the same time
  3. woot (interj): an exclamation of joy or excitement
  4. chillax (v): chill out/relax, hang out with friends
  5. cognitive displaysia (n): the feeling you have before you even leave the house that you are going to forget something and not remember it until you're on the highway
  6. gription (n): the purchase gained by friction: "My car needs new tires because the old ones have lost their gription."
  7. phonecrastinate (v): to put off answering the phone until caller ID displays the incoming name and number
  8. slickery (adj): having a surface that is wet and icy
  9. snirt (n): snow that is dirty, often seen by the side of roads and parking lots that have been plowed
  10. lingweenie (n): a person incapable of producing neologisms
Which also led me to this:
Definition of NEOLOGISM

1 : a new word, usage, or expression
2 : a meaningless word coined by a psychotic

Origin of NEOLOGISM
French néologisme, from ne- + log- + -isme -ism
First Known Use: 1803

Some of these I had not seen (or heard of) before. I am now enamored of most of these. I'm sure "confuzzled" will become a favorite. It seems to be my natural state these days. So End of Tangent.

Where were we? Ah yes, funny videos, the popularity of this blog, yada, yada, yada.

Now I check the statistics on Chant du Départ every day. My long time readers no doubt can recall when I have bored them with graphical depictions and such of my stats. I don't plan on doing that today. (Maybe.)

At any rate, I wrote what I thought was a "pretty good" post on the 7th of December about the attack at Pearl Harbor. A couple of other bloggers linked to it, my blog was linked to theirs and the hits went from maybe 50 to 80 a day to upwards of 200 a day! (Oh, be still my beating heart. Or perhaps I should say "Woot!")

Well, readership seemed to be dropping slightly in the past few days (maybe everyone's busy, maybe my material is not as popular, who knows?) Then I did the I Encompass and I Eclipse post and my stats went back up. Way back up. And all I did was provide a link to someone else's video. Pretty cool huh?

Not to mention milking another post out of that video. (That would be this post, the one you're reading at the moment. Stop clicking on "this post", it's not a link.)

So you never know what you're going to get when you show up at the Old AF Sarge's place. Might be serious, might be humorous, might be a link to somewhere else, might just be pure silliness. But stay tuned. As I mentioned early on in the life of 
Chant du Départ, we'll have to see where my muse takes me. Some days what passes for my intellect is just along for the ride.

Oh, and that cognitive displaysia thing? Happens every single day. As my Mom likes to say "Hi, this is my oldest son, he's going to be sixty this year."

Damn. Can't you wait until my actual birthday Mom?

(As to the following graphic regarding today's page views, "How did that get there? I have no idea....")

(I did say "maybe", remember?)

6 comments:

  1. Funny man. I found you link to the Diplomad. Always appreciate your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the DiploMad! (In a manly, non-creepy, non-threatening kind of way, of course.)

      Delete
  2. Keep up the momentum! Funny afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stats are SUPER considering your relative blog-youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lately the stats have been looking pretty good. (See today's post for some more numbers.)

      Nice to know that these are SUPER.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.