Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Slow News Day


I sat down to post last night, then decided that watching Season 3 of Hell on Wheels was a much higher priority.

Yes, I feel bad about that.

A little.

Actually, the plan was to continue tweaking the stuff over there along the starboard rail of the blog. All I really did was move everything (save my "holiday" badge) aft, behind the "Stuff I Like to Read" list (hereinafter referred to as the SILTR list).

Juvat suggested that move and I pondered it for quite some time. Flew North to the Fortress of Solitude and while ensconced in that glittering palace of ice I ...

Sorry, drifted into fantasy land for a moment. While having a Fortress of Solitude might be neat, I'm betting that heating the place would prove to be problematic.

(If you don't get the reference, let me just say that "Google is your friend" and leave it at that.)

Anyhoo...

Juvat mentioned that he uses the SILTR list as a jumping off point to get to other blogs he enjoys, I do the same, it's really the reason I created it, lo these many months past.

He also mentioned that it was a big pain to have to scroll down to find that list as I had a bunch of "stuff" new to the top of the blog which really added no value. So it was moved.

Which reminds me, long ago Tuna complained about "having to scroll" to see if there was new content. So I squeezed the header down.

What is it with officers and scrolling? Tsk, I don't know, I'm a simple enlisted man. But when the readers speak, I listen. Most of the time. Well, okay, some of the time.

How many of you know what the picture up there is? (Easy one.) How many know the vantage point from which it was taken? (Still easy but a bit harder.)

I was out there a year ago this week. On the day the photo was taken I was visiting a friend.

Like I said...

Slow news day.

24 comments:

  1. Beautiful view of my old stomping grounds. NOSC, (now SPAWAR) the pier where USS Dolphin tied up through most of her life, Shelter Island, and I can see the remains of NTC. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The view from that point is breathtaking. Glad you liked the photo.

      Delete
    2. Actually, it sent chills up my spine. Must be taken above subase. Pt Loma is a wonderful area I lived there many years during and after serving on Dolphin. Miss it a lot.

      Delete
    3. When I took the photo, the sub base was slightly to my right.

      It's a beautiful area.

      Delete
  2. Well the vantage point has to be near Lex, So Ft Rosecrans?
    Thanks for the rearranging, So much easier on the old scroll wheel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. +1

      I like the new arrangement. Less wear and tear on the scroll wheel, neh?

      Delete
  3. Like your new set up, and thanks for including me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WSF. You've been there for a while, the new setup makes that plainer.

      Delete
  4. I can even see what remains of the RTC at NTC.
    My only fond memories are of the day I left that command and the day I went back to show my old CC my 2nd class crow, a little more than three years later.
    His response was to remind me that if I kept my mouth shut, I would continue to do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when they think that strict adherence to orders and keeping one's mouth shut is the path to success.

      Only if one is content to be a lick-spittle!

      Delete
    2. On the other hand, opening one's mouth is often the start down the road to perdition.

      Delete
    3. I wasn't the only one to whom he'd passed along that advice.
      It took me awhile to figure out what he was talking about.

      Back in the day, the Fleet Training Center was up on PT Loma.
      On at least two occasions we went there for some mock up training for gunfire support.
      The fun part was arranging transportation from the ship at 32nd street.

      Delete
  5. That's going up the hill to Topside at SPAWAR. "Technically" you're on Subbase Point Loma... Not that I've ever been there... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One is close to the sub base, but "technically" not on it from the vantage point of the photo.

      Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery to be precise.

      Delete
  6. Nice picture. You guys speak a different language...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone beat me to it but I knew instantly that it was Point Loma. It is the best view in San Diego! It's been way too long since I've seen that view.
    One of my favorite places to sit, relax and enjoy the sunset. My second favorite view is at Black's Beach. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful out there. I look forward to my next visit!

      (All is well with you I trust.)

      Delete
  8. Been there looking over the fence. Nice place to rest......

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.