Sunday, July 10, 2016

Free As A Bird?

I wonder if they dream of the sky? Of being free?
I am sick of politics.

I am sick of the pain and strife throughout the world and in my country.

Far too many people are against things, not enough are for things. There is no positivity it seems, only negativity. Express an opinion, propose a solution, and just watch the naysayers begin to expound.

I'm willing to listen, if you have a better idea, let's hear it.

Between now and November there is much to think of, much to worry about if one is so inclined. The temptation to just sit back, to wait and see, is very strong. Let others call the tune, in reality it has always been that way. We might think we can change the music, but that's only in our heads.

We only think we're free.




We're all birds in a cage, subject to forces beyond our control.

And the world has gone completely insane...
5 Jesus said to them: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 6 Many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am he,’ and will deceive many. 7 When you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 8 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places, and famines. These are the beginning of birth pains.

9 “You must be on your guard. You will be handed over to the local councils and flogged in the synagogues. On account of me you will stand before governors and kings as witnesses to them. 10 And the gospel must first be preached to all nations. 11 Whenever you are arrested and brought to trial, do not worry beforehand about what to say. Just say whatever is given you at the time, for it is not you speaking, but the Holy Spirit.

12 “Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child. Children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. 13 Everyone will hate you because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. - Mark 13 NIV
And for those who think there is no such thing as evil...
8 Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9 Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings. - 1 Peter 5 NIV
The world wants us like this...


Boxed in, surrounded...

Whereas the Lord wants us like this...


Free.

I choose freedom.

My body may be in a cage, built for me by society...

But my spirit soars to the heavens.

Peace be with you on this Sunday.

Illegitimi non carborundum.




18 comments:

  1. And peace be unto you Sir. To recharge my mental battery I am off for a walk before the heat kicks in, then scouting places to put in a kayak in a local lake (Falls Lake, 12,000 acres) that is just incredible for viewing wildlife and being able to get back into coves where the world disappears and it is only nature, you and the kayak). So much to think about, trying to remain reasonably objective, prioritizing concerns and energies directed at those concerns. Attempting to figure out what I know, and what do I know that I don't know. And I swear I read in a book once that upon retirement all the woes of the world were lifted from ones shoulders and it would be kittens and unicorns henceforth. (Well -bacon, eggs, burgers and steak also with an occasional beer)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, a kayak on quiet waters, you and Nature as our Native cousins saw it.

      Plus, of course, the occasional beer.

      Delete
  2. Illegitimi non carborundum indeed. (I found a tie that had that discretely embroidered into a regimental stripe motif that I wore into the office when I had meetings scheduled where the motto was appropriate.) Perhaps you might think of devoting a day a week to baseball, another to college football, and then, perhaps, to the best readers TINS stories, followed by professional football. By then you would have a Juvat, a Tuna, and words of wisdom from the Old Sarge. After the disaster in November we could ALL bitch and moan about how the country has gone to He!!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah baseball, the game of my youth. It's not the same anymore, though the Red Sox have won three championships since I retired from the Air Force. Not that I'm taking any credit for that. (I won't mention the Patriots' four championships, oh wait, I just did...)

      Love the tie.

      :)

      Delete
  3. I need to send you a button.
    It's blue with black lettering and an image can be found on the sidebar at my blog.
    Heck, I have plenty so I can send a bunch.

    Yeah, I have had it with politics, too.
    Worse, I saw it coming over a year ago and could think of nothing, other than staying positive, to counter it.

    Do you think maybe that's why so many youngsters are into virtual reality stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point on the virtual reality. The current mess is also why we have such a big drug problem in New England, very few jobs, very little hope, and the state wants us cowed and ignorant. So they turn to drugs. It's an escape.

      As to the button, I like the idea of a "Negativity Free Zone."

      Delete
  4. The Mooney Mite and the Globe Swift really grab my eye this morning. Uplifting indeed!

    Remember the soda straw analogy. Everything on tv and the interwebs is a single view through a soda straw. Throughout the land nearly all people are not shooting police officers, nearly all people are not behaving to malignantly balkanize the land. In these trying times America needs her principled men and women to lead by example. You're setting a fine example Sarge, stay the course.

    Looked at in a certain way, carborundum can help knock the rust off the sword of the citizen. Wouldn't that be a hoot, the barstids hoist on their own petard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to think globally and act locally. Be the best citizen I can be and tell the Emperor when he has no clothes.

      Hard to believe we don't all rise up, shut down the media (by not watching), and hold the powerful to account.

      Takes too much effort I suppose. But I'll keep soldiering on.

      Delete
    2. Loved the Mooney Mite picture. Owned on for a few months so I could build retractable gear time. At 6' and 185 lbs it was a squeeze. Doubt I could get one leg in one now. Thanks for the smile.

      Delete
  5. Perfect post for a Sunday. Well, actually any day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post on all levels. It's why I quit talking politics too and just post guns and dogs and local color now, And I'm happier for it.
    As to those planes dreaming of flying, I've dreamed many times of taking them outside to do just that. I've even asked museum staff a couple of times, but they always say no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of you when I put those photos in. That's the day you and I were there.

      I recall you wanting to "set them free." :)

      Delete
  7. Excellent reminder, Sarge. We spend far too much time considering the things of this world, when in reality we're only passing through. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rev. I have to remind myself of that from time to time.

      Delete
  8. Well, I don't watch TV anymore. Haven't for years and years. Of course we watch NETFLIX and DVDs sent by our man in Charleston but no TV and mo debbinately, not the news.

    I read your post with some interest because you know how some people say, the best things are free? Yes, you pay to park at that fine plane hanger but there is zero cost to enter. Anybody can come in and marvel at an upclose experience with an actual space shuttle, the Enola Gay and a hundred other aircraft and it's free.

    Over at my place we never ever talk politics....we stick to cute puppies, certain flowers (not all of them!) and toast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to stop writing about politics for a while, it's like wrestling with a pig, you both get dirty. But the pig likes it.

      When in doubt, ask George Bernard Shaw for a quote, he has a few.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.