Monday, August 29, 2022

A little bit of Something from Nothing at all!

 juvat, how about starting with some good news for a change?

Ok, Sarge! How about just under 3 inches of rain this past week?  The grass is much greener and unfortunately, growing again.  

Why unfortunately?  Well, my lawn mower guy is off at college which means Mrs. J will ride the lawn tractor while I do the push thing and the weed whacking.  I know...Poor Baby!

But, Rain is good and more is forecast for this upcoming week.  So...We got that going for us.

Hope it doesn't rain quite as hard as it did this past week.  Glad Little J was driving.

On the truly important front, our eldest granddaughter (10 months) gave us a bit of a scare this week when she tested positive for you know what.  The family had been away at a Church Camp.  Lots of hoop jumping occurred immediately thereafter.  MBD and SIL tested negative which was good but made no sense since MG had been with her parents the whole time.  Fortunately, her pediatrician was able to make sense of the situation and ordered another test.  Which turned out negative.

Thank you Lord!

Pediatrician thinks it was a virus of some sort, but not any of the big ones.
Which is good!

On that same front, in a different City, LJD is doing well.  Little Juvat and LJW spent the weekend in San Antonio with her.  Her weight is up to 850 grams and she's downing 18 mLs of milk 8 times a day (For those of you that aren't into metric measurements, that's 1.87 lbs and a little over 5 oz./day.)

First "Not Sponge" Bath.  Progress!


Again...Not out of the woods, but headed that way.


After a bath, it's always a good time for a nap.

Parent's Aggie Rings for perspective.


Little J is making great progress on our network.  (I think it helps keep his mind off "Things".) With the exception of our connection to the internet, my wireless only printer, and our phones, everything here is now wired and so much faster and more reliable.  However, I will have a wireless connection to my woodshop.  One never knows when one needs to review the video on the project being built while working on it.  Or so I've been told.


BTW, the wireless printer? Nothing but a PITA.  Sometimes it prints, sometimes it doesn't.  Gonna be a doorstop soon.  Trying to troubleshoot a wireless "How come it didn't print?" has WAAAY more possible answers than a wired one does.  And yes...That happens often enough to put the doorstop option in to the decision tree.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln?

Things are going pretty well.  Most of the "Stuff" has been moved from my old shop.  Still need my table saw and workbench moved. but want to have the storage abilities in place before I move them.  It's on my priority list, but ....I think I've got my life's priorities in order.

So, on that note.  I liked this song.






Peace out, y'all!

22 comments:

  1. That's very good news on LJD and MG as well. Seeing the littlest one become less little is progress in the right direction juvat. Had half an inch of the wet stuff fall last night and an inch on Saturday night so brown has been replaced with green here also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nylon,
    Yes, it is. Got word this morning that LJD just weighed in at 2 LBs! WHOOP! Progress is good.

    Now, on to the lawn! Before it becomes a jungle. ;-)

    juvat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see that the little one is progressing, also good to see y'all got some rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarge, Yes it is on both (all three) accounts.

      Delete
  4. Good news from DeepNTheHeartof, Texas. We got over two inches last week. That doubled the amount for the year. And every grass seed in creation just popped up. yuk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR,
      Yeah, it isn't too hard to double your annual rainfall down here is it? But every little bit....
      Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Such good news on all fronts (we have had the "negative/positive" thing here as well. Heart stopping, and for no good reason)!

    When I get to The Ranch, wireless in the Barn is a priority - as you point out, good for all kinds of things like "how to" videos"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THBB,
      Yeah that was a tough couple of days. Lot's of talking to the Big Guy. Fortunately a lot of that was saying Thank You.

      The antenna to connect the shop to the house is the goal for this week. It's going in the ceiling in the garage which isn't especially accessible. Little J isn't "little" and I'm not especially spry and it's August in Texas. Gonna be "fun", but I think I'll like the results.

      Delete
  6. Ahhhckk! The network installer in me has a cringe moment over your rack. Not running your biz, but were it mine...I'd split up the rack boxes and get cable management spacers in there. Get a roll of cable velcro to tame the strays and lose any zip ties. Color code the cables. Secure the loose boxen with wall mounts. I always preached arrange things to make it easier for the next guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan,
      All good points. But the photo is a couple of weeks old (aka progress has been made). The rack is screwed into the studs on the back wall. All the cables have labels on them. We are in the process of adding labels to the ports on the switches themselves. Since the "next guy" is me when Little J goes back to work, I'm very much in agreement with your last sentence.
      Thanks.

      Delete
  7. So very glad to hear the great news about both of your lovely granddaughters!!

    If Little J is looking for something to do, I have 2 wireless printers I can't make print...sigh...and yes, I have lived in this house for a bit over a year now, and no, I haven't been brave enough to try to get them to work here. The one I bought brand new outta the box and couldn't get it to work, the other (which would print, but not copy, fax, etc) did work when I was in MI, but only to print. Guess printers don't like to be moved.
    But I'm guessing he is busy with "stuff" and wouldn't want to run up to NYS. At this stage of the game, I'm gonna break down and pay someone to come look at them if I could figure out who does that...

    And yes, little kids, especially under the age of, oh, say, 10 years old, are petri dishes and they, and their immediate family members, should stay far, far, far away from folks heading off to NICUs.

    I saw on the weather maps all the rain in Texas and was thinking of you. Got 1.5" here the other day, and while stuff turned greenish, it's been so dry, not much has been jumping up outta the ground. I'm thinking it was the shock of actually getting rain that has stunned the growth!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suz,
      Thanks, we are also. As to Little J, he's a little busy now with that whole Dad thing and he's got plenty of frequent flyer miles already. I bet the IT staff where you work (the hospital?) could point you in the right direction.
      I haven't been to see LJD in about a week because I've been feeling a little "off". Couldn't stand the thought of being "The One" if something bad happened.
      Despite the rain, we're still in Drought Status, and need more. Just not in a torrential downpour methodology. Slow, steady and sinking into the soil would be really nice, but, beggars can't be choosers.

      Delete
  8. Rain? Yay. We've been getting rain here also. Nice when the yard doesn't crunch as you walk across it.

    COVID tests? Having a cold or any other H1N1 bug can cause those to pop positive. Meh. Not normally an issue anyways with children.

    LJD? Horray!

    Wireless network printers were thought up by people who use their posteriors to cover their heads. Stupid stupid stupid. Our WNP has only worked... once as a wireless network printer. When I got the new computer I managed to accidentally print 1 page. 1 PAGE. Next time when I went to purposely print a page? Nada, zip, no. Which is why we have a hardwire connection (USB of course) to Mrs. Andrew's (also new) computer (she's got the expensive illuminated keyboard one, while mine is bog-standard normal and cheaper) so I send her files and she prints them.

    "Wireless" my rather wide posterior. Jerks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beans,
      Yeah, that's what I suspected, but new parents, you know. Course I as the new grandparent worried a bit also, Prayed a bit too, That never hurts.
      Fortunately, I don't have to print very much, but scanning is a different story. Like you guys, Mrs. J has a dedicated printer and a dedicated scanner. She's smart like that. I think I'll be going a dedicated printer only and beg borrow or steal copies from her.
      Agreed.

      Delete
    2. They make cables that plug into even 'wireless' printers, dontcha know.

      Delete
    3. USB? That's the only cable receptacle I can find on that printer. And I've got all my computer's USB slots full with other "Stuff".

      Delete
  9. Good news on the little ones! Prayers will continue! And rain is good. It keeps going AROUND us up here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      Yeah, we've watch the radar app and it seems the edge of the blue dot is a pretty strong shield. Divides up the storm pretty well usually. I feel your pain, my friend.

      Delete
  10. Juvat, very appropriate comment regarding the curse of the weather radar blue dot and it's ability to steer storms around the source location. Seen it time after time....as a matter of fact Juvat's last 1" of rain missed us, but then this morning we picked up 1/2 inch.
    Happy to hear that LJD is up to 2 lbs. and things are looking up. Fully understand the reluctance to be "the one" who might bring an ailment to one who is so fragile at this point, which confirms the old adage "a pound of preventation is worth a pound of cure".
    My native yardscape with dead/dormant grass and weeds peaking up between the partially buried boulders/rocks on this hill, needs the same attention as yours. Since lawnmower would self destruct in a "New York minute", weed eater gets cranked up right after things dry up.
    Will continue to offer up Prayers that LJD continues to grow, thrive and soon exit Neonatal Care headed home.
    Cletus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cletus,
      We got right around 1/4" this morning, but it was a slow soak, so the grass is looking pretty good. Still needs mowing mind you, but it's pretty green. And the field is actually starting to green up again. Maybe, "The Hay Guy" can get one cutting in this year. We can only hope.
      Thanks,

      Delete
    2. We may get a cutting on our field, but regardless, I'll talk to the guy that grazes our subdivision and put his cows on that field over the winter just to get some hooves on it. It's a Klein grass field and along the creek there is some undesirable brush the cows will knock down.
      Cletus

      Delete
  11. My heart aches when I see here pictures, juvat. Both out grandsons were 9~10 weeks early, and spent quite a bit of time in the NICU. May God watch over her!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.