Monday, February 19, 2024

Old Friends

Well, Campers, it's been a pretty exciting week around here since last we spoke.  For example, it's been a "Winter in Texas" week.  Friday the high was 73 on my highly accurate truck thermometer.  Sunday when we got up to go to Mass, it read 28.  But at least the wind was blowing so it felt quite a bit colder.

As the man says, if you don't like the weather in Texas, wait five minutes, it'll change.

Speaking of Sunday and in response to Sarge's post, I offer this.


Mustache AND a beard (the beard is still a work in progress),  Photo was taken at 0655 Sunday morning as I was consuming a coffee and reading his post.  Tuna, the balls in your court.

In a post a week or three ago, I had mentioned I was going to try my hand at turning an "Inside Out" ornament on the lathe.  I've used this site as my "teacher".  Learned a lot from him, and decided to get started.


 Did a pretty good job on the inside portion of the ornament.  The next step is to take the four pieces and rotate them so that the hole is now in the center of the rectangle.  Glue the pieces together and then turn the now outer side to the shape you want.  

Well...

Very shortly after I began turning it, it started to wobble and as I started to reach for the OnOff switch, the wood shattered and went flying across the shop.  Fortunately, my cranium was below the flight path of the wood and, therefore, is still intact.

No Blood, No Foul.  But, I'm going to do quite a bit more research on the "How To" portion of this mission before I start this type project again.  More to follow.

Shifting gears, earlier in the week on Sarge's Blog, we had had a scintillating conversation about insignia and patches and quality thereof, I went lookabout for the various insignia I had worn.

It was kinda interesting.


The top row is the Patch of the Command I was assigned too when I wore the patches in the second row.  L to R: Air Training Command, Tactical Air Command and Pacific Air Force.  The next row is the patch of the unit I was assigned to when I was in that Command.  Left to right, My UPT Class patch ("Beat's workin' for a livin' is the slogan at the top), my F-4 Training Squadron, the 80th TFS "The Juvat's" patch, my F-4 Moody Squadron, my AT-38 Holloman Squadron, my F-15 Training squadron, my  F-15 Eagle squadron at Kadena.  Bottom row, My TAC Nametag, My Juvat nametag, My TAC nametag, My Eagle Nametag and finally the nametag I wore at the Puzzle palace . (For the curious, that's located in DC and has 5 sides.)

Quite a bit of nostalgia there.

Which kinda enticed me to search through my old computer files from back in the day.  Boy, did I find a treasure!  

While I was flying Eagles on Okinawa, one of the guys in the squadron was big into making home movies.  I found some of them in my hard drive. One in particular got to me.  It's a 4 v 4 Dissimilar Air Combat Training (DACT) fight against the Aggressors in F-5s.  Spud, the creator of the movie, was in the Back Seat of a very special Eagle.  Mine! 78-564. My name was on the canopy rail.

Now, this was in the days of the shoulder mounted movie camera, mind you.  So, we're not talking perfect film quality, nor was he doing much filming during the fighting.  (You try holding one of those up when the jet is pulling 9g). Many of the actual fighting scenes were cut and pasted into the video from the gun camera films taken during various additional DACT fights (which included F-4s and F-106s Mirage III's, My Bad, No 106's in the Pacific). Your humble scribe also has a few cameo scenes in it.  I was # 4 in the four ship.  

All told, watching that video, solidly brought forth a "Damn! I wish I was doing that again!

In any case, for your viewing pleasure.

Have a good week, my Friends!

28 comments:

  1. Oh My! Thanks for that video back into Time juvat. Can remember reading about the F15 development in Aviation Week & Space Technology in the library at university back in the early seventies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon, My Pleasure. Yep and they're still on Active Duty almost 50 years later.
      juvat

      Delete
  2. Ah patches, I've had a few, don't know where they all wound up.

    Home movies, very few contain the mighty Eagle, that one is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd like it, especially the Pilot checking out the radar right after engine start.
      Thanks,
      juvat

      Delete
  3. Excellent beard Juvat!

    Thanks for the home movies. That was thoroughly enjoyable (also as a note, impressive how far we have coming in video recording from them to now).

    Exploding wood was not in my awareness for dangers of woodworking. I had no idea risk could come from that angle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THBB,
      My pleasure, thought you folks might like it. Give you a better perspective of what's involved/required in the job. Very few flights did I come back on the ground not dripping wet with sweat and I tended to sleep well at night...Unless I had been night flying of course.
      juvat

      Delete
  4. About the picture...we grown hair where we can...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob,
      And not where we can't...Unfortunately. Oh well, as they say "The Lord only created a limited amount of perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!"
      juvat

      Delete
  5. Good beard....a few more weeks and you'll look respectable.
    GREAT film. That must have dredged up all sorts of memories.

    Re the film - you need to edit it with the deep and serious voiceover of the kind we all know and love from the "This Is American Industry At Work" films we saw in junior high and high school, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEatTMQsGtg Not making light of it, but it would pair perfectly with most of the music. "It is important for the crew to do a walk around inspection of their aircraft before even thinking about starting the engine" etc. including a few lines about the importance of the ground crew that occasionally allows the pilot to borrow their aircraft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe,
      Thanks, We'll see what becomes in the near future.
      Yes it did. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I should do that. It's Spud's creation. As it is, YouTube scrubbed one of the songs as being copyrighted. That's why there's no music on the RTB and Landing. Now, if I could get just one more ride in the Eagle and bring my phone along, I could probably get a bigger, better, faster video and add all that in.
      Hey, a guy can dream can't he?
      juvat

      Delete
  6. Crusty Old TV Tech here. So you Three Musketeers are going to be more like ZZ Top, eh? The only one without a beard was named Beard (or Tuna in this case?). I think I killed off all the units and Majcom's I was in, ATC, AFCC, AFSC, AFSpC, 485th EIG, 1st MSCS, etc. Proud record, that, none exist any more, though the Toy Company sort of got a rename.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. COTT,
      Hey, Sarge is the lead, I just follow. Tuna? We have high hopes for the lad, I mean if he can go 130mph in a Mustang, whats the big deal about a beard?
      A lot of my units are no longer also. More's the pity.
      juvat
      juvat

      Delete
    2. I have had that effect with the various businesses that have hired me. I'm a friggin albatross.

      Delete
    3. Beans,
      To quote Galaxy Quest..."Never give up, Never surrender"
      juvat

      Delete
  7. Question for the fuzzy face flyboy- At about 10 minute point in the video showing aerial refueling: (1) Interesting that the fueling point is on the left wing instead of centerline. Is there also a receptacle on the right wing, or does the fuel flow to all tanks, not just port side? (2) What is the gas station? I know the AF has a lot of KC-135s (mostly ancient ANG owned and operated workhorses) but this was a two engine bird?

    Best to Mrs J who must be just about done with her medical ordeals. And the rest of the clan.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB,
      Last first, her last Chemo infusion is the first Friday in March. After she's done with that, she has to go to a Radiologist for daily radiation of the cancer. That will last two months. Assuming, and praying, that all goes well, she'll undergo a surgery to remove the tumor. So, still a bit of road to go down, but all indications so far are positive.
      Re: the video. Not sure why the receptacle is on the left side of the fuselage (it's not on the wing itself), but I think it might be a result of the canopy design. It's all clear material so I think it might not take a whack with the boom very well if the receptacle was behind it. The canopy also sits pretty high off the fuselage as does the pilot, so it makes visibility out of the cockpit almost unblocked all the way around (except straight down obviously). Visibility is outstanding and seeing things does wonders for your longevity.
      Fuel flows to all tanks to include the drop tanks. Does that on the F-4 also, which is the only other aircraft I've refueled in, but I suspect that's probably universal. Refueling isn't hard, but you're very close together, taking your eyes off the tanker to find a switch to change fuel flow might be exciting.
      As to the tanker in the video, it's a KC-10 and they are HUGE. It's also got 3 engines, one on each wing and one in the vertical tail. I'd been tanking on 135s for a few years before the 10 came out. It took me a while to actually get into the correct position as being there with that picture in the 135 would have had the tanker crew in a panic. What looks like too close on the smaller 135 is the right position on the 10. Took a bit of getting used to. That having been said, tanking on the 10 was easier. The boom fins were much bigger, so they stayed in position better. Which means so do you. They also carried a lot more gas. And the only time you can have too much gas is when you're on fire.
      juvat

      Delete
    2. Those miles add up quickly on those med trips, no?

      Delete
    3. Yeah they do! Fortunately, the professionals we've been working with so far have been excellent, couldn't ask for better care. Knock on wood, but her numbers are going in the right direction. So...we've got that going for us.
      juvat

      Delete
  8. Ah, the mighty F-15 Eagle, up close and personal. Good birds and skilled pilots I am sure.

    But, all I know about that kind of eagle is what Neptunus Lex told us about them, in a post written in 2003. He was part of a USN F/A-18 four ship vs USAF F-15 four ship. He cheated a little, but ended up bagging ALL FOUR EAGLES, he did. Back at Eglin, the USAF squadron commander had invited their Commanding General in to observe the prowess of their instructor pilots handling the USN average fleet pilots serving as targets. Said general was NOT happy with the results they observed in real time on their instrumented range!

    Enjoy! https://thelexicans.wordpress.com/2016/02/17/killing-an-eagle/
    John Blackshoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can safely say that I have starred in a lot of movies myself. Which is ok. Better to make a mistake and get embarrassed in the debrief but learn from it to avoid making it again, than try something for the first time, when the real weapons are involved. As I mentioned in the post about the Aussies a couple of weeks ago, the Hornet had some better handling characteristics in certain regimes while the Eagle did also in others. As to the reaction of the Commander, I'd rank him as a pilot of fighters, not a Fighter Pilot. Met a lot of them in my career. Didn't care for them and had little respect. And yes, they were frequently movie stars. When they insisted on being flight lead. Unfortunately, I'm sure the Eagle Lead got stood up straight in the General's office and was taken off Flight Lead status for a while. That happened too often at a lot of bases. Fortunately, both Wing Kings at Kadena were 1) quite excellent Fighter Pilots 2) had actual combat experience and 3) were damn fine leaders. Learned a lot from them.
      juvat

      Delete
  9. My parents warned me about peer pressure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well...There is that!
      juvat

      Delete
  10. "Damn! I wish I was doing that again! The author is correct in his assessment. FuzzD3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuzz, I thought you might enjoy that video.
      juvat

      Delete
  11. I'll cut to the chase. I can't stand it when those neck hairs get more than about three days growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skip,
      I've grown it and shaved it several times over the past couple of years. Can't say I disagree with you, especially in Summer. Mrs J seems to like it though so...
      juvat

      Delete
  12. All your patches are nice and neat, no 'fun' patches like the Navy has. And yes, yanking and banking are a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes! There were patches that were not safe for public view. Better lost in the annals of history. Just sayin'
      juvat

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.