Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Going in Harm's Way ...

Yamato running machinery trials off Bungo Strait (outside Sukumo Bay) on 20 October 1941
Source
Alas my fair readers, I bring you a rerun from twelve years ago. It's not my fault ...

Well, actually it is, but I did stumble upon this old post and liked the pictures enough to re-share it with you.

Sorry, but you get what you pay for ...

😉





Battle of Jutland
31 May - 1 June 1916
If you've been following the blog for a while, you might have noticed that I tend to be a bit "aircraft centric." (No, really...)

From time to time you'll see an armored fighting vehicle trundle across the screen but I'm mostly about aircraft. Military aircraft. Though there was a post a while back with pictures of non-aircraft carrier type ships, that's been rare. Normally it's things that fly that I'm all about.

Today I break from that tradition. For I do love things that tend to be painted gray nowadays and steam in harm's way. (Whether the shade be battleship-gray or haze-gray, it's all the same to me.) In other words, I also have a thing for warships. And not just the gray ones.

I must confess, whenever I head down to Norfolk, or out to Sandy Eggo, I have the urge, no, the compulsion to head down to the Naval Station and see the warships. I get as excited as a little kid spotting a toy store or an ice cream truck in these instances.

For instance, last month out in Sandy Eggo as The WSO and I were traversing the Coronado Bridge (leaving Coronado), I spotted haze gray warships off to the right...

"Whoa, stop the car WSO, I need to get a picture. WARSHIPS!"

"Dad. I am not stopping the car on the Coronado Bridge."

"But I can see at least two Arleigh-Burke class destroyers and - wow - I think that's a cruiser..."

"Dad. I. Am. Not. Stopping."

"<sigh> Alright."

Warships, I like them.

Now some of you may be wondering what I mean by a warship. (I also have a few readers who may be wondering, "What's a warship?") So let me enlighten you. A warship is capable of meting out death and destruction to the enemy and surviving to bring it's crew home again. The photos which follow are what this Old AF Sarge thinks of when someone says "warship."

USS Constitution
An old war
ship.

HMS Victory
Another 
old warship.

USS Wisconsin
A retired warship of WWII through Desert Storm vintage.

USS Nimitz
Nuclear powered aircraft carrier, no guns but definitely a warship.


USS Cowpens
An Aegis¹ cruiser.


USS Donald Cook (foreground) and other warships meting out death and destruction. (USS Donald Cook, DDG-75, is an Aegis equipped Arleigh-Burke class destroyer. As are the two other ships in the near distance. In the  background - on the left - is what appears to be an Aegis cruiser.)

USS Virginia
Not haze gray but a very potent warship.


USS Nitze
Arleigh-Burke class destroyer


USS Curts
Oliver Hazard Perry class frigate
(About as small as I would go and still call it a warship.)


USS New York
San Antonio class Landing Platform Dock (LPD) (Some would not consider her a warship. I'm sure the 360-man crew and her 700 embarked Marines would beg to differ. 700 Marines can mete out a lot of death and destruction!)

Expect to see more in the warship department here in the future. Not to mention famous naval battles. I have neglected this area of warfare long enough!

John Paul Jones
Father of the US Navy
"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."



Bonhomme Richard and her consorts
Captain John Paul Jones, Commanding



¹ The Aegis Combat System is an integrated naval weapons system developed by the Missile and Surface Radar Division of RCA, and now produced by Lockheed Martin. It uses powerful computer and radar technology to track and guide weapons to destroy enemy targets. The name comes from Greek mythology: The aegis, as stated in the Iliad, is carried by Athena and Zeus, but its nature is uncertain. It had been interpreted as an animal-skin or a shield, sometimes bearing the head of a Gorgon.

26 comments:

  1. So you wouldn't call a PT boat a warship???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The key word is "Boat". Traditionally Ships carry boats. With these new monster semi-submersible platforms capable of carrying Destroyers & larger craft it may be time to upgrade that definition. Old Guns.

      Delete
    2. MM - Didn't say that, didn't imply that. A PT is definitely a warship.

      Delete
    3. Old Guns - No, the key word is not boat. A warship is a vessel designed to go in harm's way and bring the fight to the enemy. The whole boat versus ship thing is much overblown in my mind. Submarines are called boats, the air wing embarked on a carrier refers to their floating home as "the boat," which distresses ship's company a great deal.

      Delete
    4. When a boat turns to port, it heels to port. When a ship turns to port, it heels to starboard.
      G. Sager

      Delete
    5. Understood but has nothing to do with the topic of the post, which is warships. Mount a swivel gun on a rowboat and you've got a warship. Sort of ...

      Delete
    6. You've got a Gunboat.

      Delete
  2. Maybe it is just me, or a quirk of all the pics I have ever seen of IJN Yamato but she always looks like she is bow down, stern high. I wonder if that is just a quirk or a design. RAS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a bad choice for a rerun Sarge, lots of visuals of warships, especially the wooden variety.. Much thanks for no photos of that abortion, the LCS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will happily review old posts Sarge!

    TB The Elder served on the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Hancock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huzzah for haze gray and underway!
    I miss those days, some.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  6. San Antonio Class a warship? As you said, It can bring a whole lot of war to someone's doorstep, so I think that counts! While it may not have big guns and missiles, it's a full can of whoop-ass. LCS? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What! Reruns! I wants my money back... Oh, wait. Never mind...





    ReplyDelete
  8. The ferry my daughter rides to work passed Old Ironsides when they fired their morning salute to Boston Harbor last week. That is about the 10th time her ferry was at the right spot to be fired upon since she has been taking the ferry the past 4 years. The Constitution is what I think of when somebody says War Ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only ship still in commission in the US Navy to have sunk an enemy ship in combat.

      So yeah, she qualifies.

      Delete
  9. I would call the USS Virginia Deep Water Blue.
    I would call the USS New York ugly!! But I suppose looks don't really matter if you are a warship...and 700 Marines could certainly put a hurting on whatever they want...of that I have NO doubt!!

    Suz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The LPDs aren't pretty but they'll get the job done.

      Delete
  10. Glad you included; aircraft carrier (death from above), submarine (death from below), LPD (death from...well, everywhere)!
    irontomflint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I'm Air Force (24 years), I spent 25 years working on naval combat systems after I retired from the USAF.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.