Friday, May 3, 2013

The Friday Flyby - 03 May


Today's Friday Flyby is going to be unpardonably brief, with some pictures from the last time I was at the Air Museum in Pungo (down Virginia Beach way) and very little else.

But I have what I think is a great excuse for my somewhat small effort today. Next week, Wednesday the 8th to be precise, is my 60th birthday. Yup, sixty, old 30-30 as it were. In the Korean culture that's kind of a big deal. It's kind of a big deal for me as well. But I digress (surprise, surprise).

When I got home from work yesterday, I was surprised and stunned to find that the Nuke, the WSO and Little Bit had flown in for the weekend. For to surprise the Old Man for his impending birthday. Surprised I was. Inordinately pleased I was. But for this, dear readers, I am short changing you in the post department. I'll be writing more, later. But for now, I'm off to enjoy the visit by my daughters and my oldest granddaughter. Who has apparently inherited my own odd sense of humor.

For this morning she announced (bear in mind she's not quite 3): "I don't like Grampa!" Then (with a big goofy smile on her face) she threw her hands in the air and shouted "Surprise!" To the general amusement of all and sundry.

When Grandma pointed out that she had made Grampa sad, Little Bit explained, "I love Grampa, but I don't like him." Of course, Grampa (that would be me) was rolling on the floor laughing his you-know-what off. Belying the "Grampa is sad" theme Grandma was trying to sell. Little Bit has discovered that making me laugh is easy. And she seems to enjoy doing that.

It's going to be an awesome weekend!

Before I toss some more Pungo pictures your way, I want to give a shout-out to the folks who have joined the members list in the past few days. Please give a warm welcome to the latest New Guys:


Welcome Aboard! (It is customary for the new folks to buy a round of drinks. Just sayin'...)

Oh yeah. Pictures -

Fieseler Storch
Fokker D-VII
Fokker DR-1
Skyraider
SE-5A
I highly recommend this museum. It is awesome and the majority of the aircraft there are flyable. Not just in theory, they actually fly them from time to time. If you see a drip pan under an engine, that bird can still take to the air.

8 comments:

  1. Ah, what a great surprise ya got! It's good when the kids come home, innit?

    A question: are those WW I birds restored originals or replicas? That might be a dumbass question, now that I think about it, coz restoring an old wood-'n'-fabric biplane would pretty much be building a new aircraft, ergo replica. But the data plate would be original, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the WWI birds are all replicas. The original aircraft would be so old now that restoration to flying condition would probably involve replacing everything, making it more of a replica than a restoration!

      Delete
  2. And three years old is when little girls peak. They are always cute, but they don't get any cuter than at 3! Well maybe 4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya on that Joe. She has Grampa twisted around her little finger!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to hear the 3yr old caught on quickly to giving Grampa a hard time, she's joined a big club there! And, of course you know I'm not going to let the 60th birthday slide by without a comment...heh heh heh....uhhh...ummm....guess I forgot what I was gonna say, I am a little forgetful at my age - which is the same as yours - soon. I used to think when I hit 60 I could pass gas in the grocery store line and just keep smiling, tried it the other day...my advice to a new 60 yr old is to wait til your hearing is completely gone so you can't hear what those behind you are saying.
    Enjoy your family, what a great birthday present!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a theory similar to yours. My experience in testing the theory? Also similar. Heh.

      Delete
  4. Well Happy impending Birthday! Nice little surprise your kids laid on you. Although when I first read that, I pictured Big Time, WSO and Lil' Bit all piled into the Rhino for the weekend trip to Grandpa's. Definitely not my parent's Town and Country station wagon! By the way, how goes your quest to remain a long term grandpa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The WSO got a huge chuckle out of that Tuna.

      The quest to remain a long term grandfather? Six months and counting. I get the urge on rare occasions but it passes quickly.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.