Thursday, May 2, 2013

Ed Rasimus

Ed Rasimus was a retired United States Air Force Major and a veteran fighter pilot of the Vietnam war. He died on 30 January 2013. Rasimus flew more than 250 combat missions in F-105 Thunderchief and F-4 Phantom II fighters during the conflict and received the Silver Star, the Distinguished Flying Cross five times, and numerous Air Medals. Rasimus was an award winning author residing in Northern Texas.
Published Books
  • Fighter Pilot: The Memoirs of Legendary Ace Robin Olds - Co-authored by Robin Olds and Christina Olds - ISBN 978-0-312-56023-2 - St. Martin's Press (April 13, 2010)
  • Palace Cobra: A Fighter Pilot in the Vietnam Air War - ISBN 978-0-312-94876-4 - St. Martin's Paperbacks (August 28, 2007) (Hardcover edition, April 2006, St. Martin's Press)
  • Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights: A Vietnam War Pilot's Second Tour - ISBN 978-1-58834-199-0 - Smithsonian Books (November 30, 2005) (Never Published, released as Palace Cobra in April 2006, hardcover from St. Martin's Press)
  • When Thunder Rolled: An F-105 Pilot Over North Vietnam - ISBN 978-0-89141-854-2 - Presidio Press (September 28, 2004) (Hardcover edition, January 2003, Smithsonian Institution Press)*
I discovered the Major's blog, Thunder Tales, back in December of 2012. Just in time to learn that the man was dying. Less than a month after I'd discovered another jewel in the blogosphere, Major Rasimus was gone.

It was a rough year for fighter pilot bloggers and those who loved them.

Major Rasimus was laid to rest Wednesday, the First of May, in the year of Our Lord Two-Thousand and Thirteen at Arlington National Cemetery. One who was there had this to say.

I didn't know the man, I wish I had. I knew men like him. They all went downtown, Route Pack 6.

His blog is still there. It will remain linked on this blog until this blog is no more.

I know a number of my readers loved the man dearly. Reading old posts on his blog, I can see why.

Requiescat in pace Major. Hope to have a beer with you someday.

Tell Lex, I'm buying.


*Wikipedia, the OAFSSRFTOTN

6 comments:

  1. I read "Fighter Pilot" and had no idea who the co-author was. Now I know.

    RIP, Major Rasimus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I discovered the Major far too late. I need to go out and get those books!

      Requiescat in pace...

      Delete
  2. Ed was the real deal, that's for sure.

    Pleased to make your acquaintance. I like your blog and I think Ed would have, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I haven't found your place sooner. It's my kind of place!

      I'm glad you like it here and having you say that the Major would've liked my blog is a HUGE honor.

      Can't thank you enough for that.

      Delete
  3. +1 on Murph, and I've also added you to my links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! (How's Wordpress working out for you. You swapped over not that long ago, right?)

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.