Sunday, July 23, 2023

These Ladies Rock ...

Plush
(Source)
Lot of you know that I do like my rock and roll, of many types. This band was recently brought to my attention ...

Man, these ladies can play!



I think I need to see them live, they are damned good!

So good, that I have another video for you.



In other news ...

As I mentioned gestern, The Missus Herself and Your Humble Scribe went out to dinner on Friday evening. Good time, good company, good food.

It's "Lobster Fest" at the Old Grist Mill, so, as I had a hankering for lobster (or lobstah, if you will), guess what I ordered? Fortunately, The Missus Herself likes lobster rolls, because I saw this on the Book of Faces ...

Lobster Roll for Two
The Old Grist Mill Tavern
Seekonk, MA
(Source)
One pound of lobster meat, minimal lettuce, all in a really tasty roll, with a bit of fried taters on the side.

The picture looked like it was big, either that or the lady holding it was rather small.

Nope, normal size lady, massive lobster roll.

Oh my, it was delicious, exquisito if you will. Huge, it was huge, The Missus Herself ate one-third, I ate the rest. (Got most of the fries as well.)

Also had a very nice Kölsch, draft of course. If you've never had one of those, I highly recommend the experience. Goes well with lobster rolls, if that helps.

Speaking of lobster rolls, I learned something yesterday. Now I'm used to there being two varieties of this classic New England dish. One is served cold as a lobster salad (mixed with mayo, sometimes celery as well), the other is served hot, with butter. Both are excellent, I have had both, kinda lean towards the cold variety, it's what I grew up with.

I didn't know that the cold type is referred to as "New England style," the warm is known as "Connecticut style." A bit confusing as Connecticut is actually in New England.

Did you know there are also three forms of clam chowder, white, clear, and "Manhattan style" (for such it was known when I was nobbut a lad)? The latter is also known as red chowder.

Now growing up there was only one clam chowder (chowdah, dontcha know?) and that was the white variety. I had heard of the red variety, which my parental units disdained. The clear kind I had never heard of until I moved to Little Rhody.

I've had the clear kind (which I've heard referred to as "Rhode Island style" also "Connecticut style") and while it was okay, I wouldn't order it if the real stuff was on the menu, I'm funny like that. I mean, it ain't bad, but as my eldest grandson says, "It's not my favorite."

So there ya go, music and food, what more could you ask for on a weekend?

As to the next fictional offering ...

Still up in the air on that one, I really want to continue the Hernandez, Paddock, von Lüttwitz saga. I reread the last chapter of Part One of the Prequel, I liked it, I really did. Hell, I'd buy a copy even if I didn't write it.

Yup, that's me, humble.

Ciao!



34 comments:

  1. Okay let's go international, here's a trio of Mexican sisters known as The Warning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo0odllVq8g
    And then we have three all gal Japanese heavy metal bands, Band Maid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbyQCJn6rYg
    and Love Bites https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWE7PqCpGi4 and Neophilia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zH045LdjBo.
    All of these selections are live to show these ladies can really play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couple of interesting vids there Sarge, will have to do more InterNets searching later on. That lobster roll.....lucky you to be so close to the Big Water........... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to be near the Big Water. Apparently it's in the blood.

      Delete
  3. Sarge, weirdly enough even though we live thousands of miles from New England, I actually knew there were two different kinds of lobster rolls thanks to a local restaurant that does them. The weird pieces of knowledge one acquires.

    Harmonies. I love harmonies. There were some good ones in that first video.

    Von Luttwitz may be one of my most favorite of your characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Jürgen is one of mine as well. Him and Stephen Hernandez.

      Delete
  4. The music was good, kinda dark on the subject ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hubby and I were on a contract job on the East coast so Saturday we went out exploring up and down the coast. Stopped in small town and were doing the typical tourist thing and saw a sign said "all you can eat whole lobster dinner for $10". Began at 5pm so we got there at 4:30 expecting a line. Well, no line, walk in and lady asked if we wanted menu's. Silly lady. Nope, bring us the Lobster. We found it was 1st day of lobster season. Yeah!! So tore through the first one like we hadn't had a meal in days. Both ordered 2nd. Hubby said I'm done, nope not me. So, onto the 3rd. That last one was still wonderful but I took the tail home and had it for breakfast next day. Best lobster Ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lobster is excellent, glad you got to experience New England in summer!

      Delete
    2. Hey Anonymous, I need the address!

      Delete
  6. You've shown your affinity for modern rock. What were your favorites growing up? Maybe a post is in the answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jethro Tull, Jimi Hendrix, etc. I think I did do a post on this. Some time ago it was.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, after I clicked submit I realized you probably had.

      Delete
  7. New England Clam Chowder, or cream of potato and clam soup, is excellent. The red stuff? Whaddaya expect from New Yauk? Clear chowder? That violates the rule of chowder, which is cream based (for reals, a light roux or lightly browned flour/butter and milk/cream, cream and corn starch or rice flour can be substituted.)

    Clear? That's a broth based soup. Clam soup. Er, no.

    Now, Publix (SE Regional grocery chain) has the most excellent canned clam chowder (which is also gluten free, as they use both rice flour and corn starch as the base.)

    Lobster, either clawed or unclawed (Florida Lobster) is excellent. Yummy. Prefer it plain boiled or grilled with lots of hot butter.

    The Ladies? Will have to give them a listen to when I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Publix, heard of them, I have. Good to know they sell the "real deal" in the chowdah line!

      Delete
    2. Beans, we LOVED publix when we lived in Tampa. I could get lost in there looking at all their prepared food selections, deli, bakery, and such. Great place to go for lunch when at a conference because there's a million choices.

      Delete
    3. I need to visit that next time I'm down that way.

      Delete
    4. Best subs in the world. Hot or cold. Well worth it. Their fried chicken is great, too. And they sell lunch boxes and stuff.

      Delete
    5. All that is said about Publix is true. They have, however, become a purveyor to the rich, or near poor.

      Delete
    6. Not sure I understand, are they too expensive?

      Delete
    7. Yes.
      I'll go to the Publix as it's close but just for when I "need" something, it just costs more there. It is a clean & well stocked store.

      Delete
    8. I'll pay extra for quality, convenience as well.

      Delete
  8. To think that lobster used to be considered trash fish. Never had a lobster roll. Of the two types I think I would prefer the cold to the hot.

    Chowder...chowder is ALWAYS milk or cream based. With potatoes. The red stuff is wanna be cioppino. Clear "clam chowder" is an abomination, and purveyors of it should be boiled in a vat of it.

    Music, never cared for metal of any sort. I'll take your word that they're good. (Wandering off humming Summer in the City, out of tune of course)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never had a lobster roll either, we went up to New England and I had my first at a roadside stand out toward Cape Cod, MA.. Kinda expensive but it was lobster.. as it turned out that was 2 measured ounces of lobster meat on a hot dog bun. I was not impressed but I was intrigued, turns out lobster at the Belfast Maine grocery store was on sale and I liked fresh steamed lobster. We had lobster rolls at home.
      I enjoyed New England, especially Maine, I wish I'd seen it sooner in my life.

      Delete
    2. Joe - Because the meat spoils so quickly after the animal dies, which is why it's cooked alive.

      Love metal, but not all of it and yes, to each his own.

      Delete
    3. Rob - Some roadside stands have terrible food, no locals eat there usually. Two ounces? That is small. But it's supposed to be on a hot dog bun, a New England-style hot dog bun.

      Maine is awesome.

      Delete
    4. "Because the meat spoils so quickly after the animal dies,"

      That makes sense.....how did you do that? ;-) I wish I could do that.

      I like lobster, had many a spiny lobster caught by friends who dive. But in those days lobster rolls just weren't a thing in San Diego County. Lobster. abalone, and whatever fish they managed to spear, or we managed to catch from shore. Good times.

      Delete
    5. Very much a New England thing, I think.

      Delete
  9. Crusty Old TV Tech here. Funny you mention Lobstah Rolls...Base Commander and I just saw a cooking show on KUHT wherin they did Lobstah Rolls. Butter version, shallots, etc. Looked rather yummy. Did not know there were multiple variations, now I will have to go do the googly moogly and research the topic! Though, here in SE TX, lobstah is hard to get live...shrimp on the other hand...hmm, Shrimp Po-Boys a la Lobstah Roll, interesting idea.

    The whole white/red/clear Clam Chowdah thing sounds like chili in Texas. You wanna start an altercation, just opine that "beans belong in chili!" and stand back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stay away from the chili fights, I know how I like it, that's good enough for me.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.