Saturday, July 8, 2023

Say Hello to My Little Friend ...

Modern CT scanner (2021), photon-counting CT
(Siemens NAEOTOM Alpha)

(Source)
Some people call it a computed tomography scan (usually abbreviated to CT scan; formerly called computed axial tomography scan or CAT scan). I still call it a CAT scan, cause that's what I am, old school.¹

The weekend before the Glorious 4th of July, what some insist should be called Independence Day (they're not wrong), I felt a bit of a twinge in the lower parts of my abdomen. In the left lower quadrant (the left iliac region for you medical types) to be precise.

When that happens, I'm like a beast in the forest, I can sense something ain't right, but can't really determine what it is. I lift my head, sniff the breeze, then continue the hunt, assuming it's a passing thing.

Monday I was a bit off, Tuesday I was even further off. Didn't really feel like my old pal diverticulitis, but having dealt with this affliction since about 1996 or so, it seems to start up slightly differently each time.

Went to work on Wednesday, resolved to call my doc if I wasn't feeling better by noon.

Feeling like death warmed over, I called my doc.

After a metric butt ton of blood work, Doc wanted me to crawl into the machine above. "Just to make sure something else isn't going on down there."

I mentioned that come Sunday (tomorrow as you read, day after as I write) I was off to this place ...

Sandy Eggo
(Source)
... and wouldn't I be sore disappointed if I was unable to make the trip. It's for work and it might be my swan song for this project. Retirement is more of a possibility this year, I'm not sure, but you never know.

She indicated that if I couldn't get the CT scan done before I left, then she'd start me on the standard diverticulitis meds (anti-biotics, two of 'em). It seems that the treatment of this malady has changed since my last flare-up in 2017. Some docs don't even prescribe the anti-biotics!

Well, screw that, says I, I'm old school.¹ Give me meds!

Well, I could get the CT scan Friday morning but, as The Nuke pointed out, there was no guarantee that the results would be in hand before I was wheels up on Sunday. I assumed that the meds had been ordered after my appointment on Thursday.

The nice lady at the pharmacy sadly shook her head and said, "Sorry, it's not in the computer."

So back to the manse I returned and phoned up the doctor's office(and getting thoroughly angered by the damned automated phone menu) I finally got in touch with a human.

"Oh sometimes we put in the order and the pharmacy doesn't get it right away."

Shaking my head, I say, "Please order that again, 'kay?"

Well, after fighting the pharmacy's phone menu and speaking to the doctor's office again (it was actually a lady working from home, she made things happen, fast) I got a text from the pharmacy indicating that my meds would be available around 1600 local. (It was 1400 when I got the text.)

In pain, and angry, I awaited the call.

Came in at 1530, off I went and  obtained the prescribed anti-biotics. Downing both pills sofort² I then laid back and awaited the lessening of pain.

It wasn't long. Though I am still sore, I am good to go on Sunday. Unless of course the CT scan reveals an alien residing in my intestines.

As of 1930 local, Friday evening, still no CT scan results.

Good thing I got those meds, innit?

Ciao!



¹ AKA Old fart
² Immediately (German)

46 comments:

  1. Eliminating fiber and a bit of fasting can also help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's what I did, give the bowels some rest.

      Delete
  2. Don't know how many times I've been through that same thing Sarge, arms up over your head, hearing that automated voice ordering you to "hold your breath...NOW" while you slide forth and back inside that ring..... Good luck Sarge with scan results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the "with contrast" thing which makes it interesting. Sudden warm feeling, taste of metal in your mouth.

      Delete
  3. Have you ever noticed that you feel better after a CT scan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really, but it does feel better getting it done.

      Delete
  4. Crusty Old TV Tech here. You know, it appears to me that the level of bureacracy and ennui once reserved for dealing with gummint agencies (like DMV, or EPA, or FCC, or...) has become endemic in the medical field. Just a simple med refill at the doc, which in days of old (when men were bold, and phone trees weren't invented...name me the song!) was a piece of paper given to a pharmacist, boom, done, is now a multiple layer phone tree multiple call ordeal. Computers were supposed to make things EASIER, not more annoying! Bureacracy is infectious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah. Sorry COTVT; we were TOLD computers would make things easier; yet another lie. I suppose they do make things easier for someone in the supply chain; possibly enabling that "just in time" abomination, but they only complicate and impede things for the consumer, that person who used to be called "the customer"
      Boat Guy

      Delete
    2. We rely far too much on computers. Biggest problem is using them to cut human staff, the MBA says "it's cheaper" but the consumer knows that it's less effective in many cases.

      Delete
    3. Part of the issue is the stupid 'Minimum Wage' increase and shoot for $15/hr and all the associated costs of employees. Easier to pay for a phone tree system than to deal with actually hiring people, especially in areas where you aren't allowed to ask potentials if they have a criminal record, you know, like drugs and stuff.

      We see it here in Florida where the leftards got the minwage increase. And now pretty much all large stores have gone to less cashiers and more self-checkouts.

      Sigh.

      It also helps that Abomination Care mandated a computerized prescription system. Even worse is that Schedule II pain med prescriptions can only be sent to one pharmacy. So if that pharmacy is out, you have to get with your doc to send it to one that has them, and a lot of pharmacies won't tell you if they have them. Even chain pharmacies, which used to be the big draw about chain pharmacies, in that have your meds on file with Walgreens in Florida and you can access them in Wisconsin. Except now not with Schedule II drugs. And you can't get a physical prescription for Schedule II drugs. And can only fill them within 2 days prior to the previous prescription running out (sch-II drugs again) and only if your doc allows it as some docs don't want their patients building up a supply or stash.

      Faugh.

      Friggin Abomination Care.

      Delete
    4. "The War against Drugs" aka "How to Keep Sched II Medications from the People Who Require Them for Pain Relief"
      perhaps the acme/epitome of DC regulatory stupidity

      Delete
    5. It is all about population control. Keep them fixed to a point. And get rid of the ones costing the system too much money.

      It's like Covid. Do you really think it was an unintentional release? Looking at Communist China, a lot of pensioners died and suddenly there's less strain on the system. And the somewhat rebellious city of Wuhan and the rest of West Taiwan got back into the iron fist of the CCP. But that's just conspiracy theories, right?

      Delete
    6. The strain of stupidity runs strong in the so-called "governing" classes.

      Delete
    7. Crusty Old TV Tech again...Yeah, as you guys have pointed out, and paraphrasing from Ronaldus Magnus of Reagan, "I'm from the gummint, and I'm here to help you" are the most deadly words in the English language. I used to think the 416th CSG's Personnel office was as low in customer service as one could go and still claim to have "service", but that was before Obamacare and Medicare and the rest of the medi-evils foist upon us of late! You KNOW it's bad when 80's USAF base medical clinic visits of yore are looked upon with fond reverie when contemplating a visit to the doc in 2023.

      Delete
  5. Prayers up for positive test results and an uneventful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope things work out ok for you and you can enjoy the San Diego job..

    Keep in mind that in the US the medical industry is worth 18% of the GDP (2021) and that's a lot of money! There are now a lot of people in the bureaucratic loop (everyone gets a cut) and that makes a bigger phone tree. It's good that you were able to get things done in a timely manner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to press them, keep pressing and they will yield. Until we get the phone menu of SkyNet where you never, ever get to talk to a human.

      Delete
    2. I've gotten that phone tree endless loop where you can't get out. Hang up and try to remember which branch took you into nowhere land. Hates it.

      Prefer real customer service where you can at least look at someone and ask "Am I totally hosed?"

      Delete
    3. For the "endless loop", consider hitting "0" repeatedly during the loop. Tends to get a human to see what the problem might be.
      There used to be a web site that published what to hit depending on who you were dealing with, but I no longer have that bookmarked.

      Delete
    4. Doesn't always work, the people who design these things have learned.

      Delete
    5. Beans - Yup, I always love the "listen carefully as our options have changed," nope same as last year.

      Delete
  7. Glad you're feeling "less bad" and hope that changes to better soon. Have a safe, successful and fun trip.
    juvat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Improvement feels constant, a little at a time, but better, bit by bit.

      And I've been told that LUSH and her kids will meet me in Sandy Eggo!

      Delete
    2. Sandy Ego is always better with kids and grandkids.
      Your photo shows one of the few good places in SD; the harbor. Besides Point Loma and Coronado, the place is continuing to decline.
      Hope you continue to improve.
      Boat Guy

      Delete
  8. Must have been all the sturm und drang of scrutinizing, organizing, translating and writing about Napoleonic campaigns and the harsh fates of so many of the participants. That's enough to tie anyone's guts in knots for a while. But, instead of a psychosomatic induced affliction, you may have your old friend dropping in for another unwelcome visit.

    Prayers for a swift recovery from whatever they diagnose, and hopes for a productive visit to the fleet.

    YOUR health comes before any obligation to the employer, so do not hesitate to play the sick card. You are not a malingerer trying to get out of something, but a dang workaholic who is reluctant to ease back on the throttle even when you know you should. Time to start acting your age and remind others that "Growing old ain't for sissies!"
    John Blackshoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am much better today. It would be nice to kick back for a week and recover but I don't have the PTO for that anyway.

      Besides the seats in CIC are far more comfortable than my desk chair and the air conditioning is far superior.

      Thanks, JB.

      Delete
  9. five minutes of menu and advertising announcing the ready availablity COVID vaccine while on hold (or even better, rap) pushes my normal BP (95/65 with pills) upwards faster,higher than any rocket engine on which you might've worked and then a secretary/phone person who speaks "faultless" unaccented America English at a speed the natives speak Spanish in Puerto Rico or Cuba ...
    I will say a prayer (or three) for you. G-d bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see that you've "been there, done that. "

      Thanks, boron.

      Delete
  10. (Quickly goes and looks up diverticulitis....well, that should not have been done before lunch...)

    The most frustrating thing is the world is to show up and something has not been ordered. The second most frustrating thing is then having to work back though the phone tree to follow up.

    Good that you are feeling better. Prayers up, and enjoy San Diego!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since imbibing is proscribed instead of prescribed this trip, here's a tourista suggestion. Very likely you have been out to the tip of Point Loma before, but if not, it is really beautiful, and shows the harbor and all its players.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If one can find the time. I've been out to Point Loma a number of times. I never make it past Fort Rosecrans.

      Reasons ...

      Delete
  12. Ugh!! Glad to know the antibiotics are being helpful!! While highly functioning AC is a definite positive benefit, be careful...stress is not your friend, and you know to watch your diet...but Kids and grands are strong incentives to go for sure.

    So far as computers go--I am on my 3rd laptop in the past 2 weeks--some days I really truly miss paper charts--nuff said.
    Safe flight!!

    Suz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Third laptop in two weeks, oh dear.

      I avoid stress as much as I can, sometimes though, it sneaks up on me when I'm not looking.

      Thanks, Suz.

      Delete
  13. Here's hoping is weller. I am saying a prayer for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suldog, by the way.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Suldog. Feeling better already. Of course, being in San Diego with my daughter and two granddaughters helps.

      A lot.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.