![]() |
| OAFS Photo |
I'm not getting the return on my investment in the time it takes to write this stuff, so today was a "Why bother?" kind of day.
This year I was surprised to note that the posts held pelicans, didn't realize that until I saw one go fishing. Those rather large mouths are hard to mistake.
Sigh ...
Those posts out in the water often had birds perched thereupon. The last couple of years I could have sworn that they were cormorants. So I just assumed that this year was the same.
Nope.
![]() |
| OAFS Photo |
Apparently brown pelicans head to the Chesapeake in the summer to breed. Perhaps we visited too early in June to see them the first two years. This year, coming as we did on the last full week in June, we saw pelicans.
We also saw raptors, two of the F-22 variety and one of the feathered variety, an osprey (the bird, not the aircraft). Also saw seahawks, er, I mean Seahawks, the MH-60 variety.
Saw lots of terns but no seagulls, something I've noticed before when visiting Virginia's shores. I'd research that but ...
Maybe another day.
Not now.
Bis gleich ...


My skillset is from a different era, being over 4 score years and I am not up on this electronic stuff,. The only typewriter I owned did not run on electricity and I got a computer when I could no longer find ribbons for it. I seek out your posts daily by going to my wife's Facebook account and going to yesterday's post & scrolling down to where it says newer post. I don't know if that triggers the counting wheel or not nor how to access them directly. Old Guns.
ReplyDeleteGod only knows what triggers the "counting wheel," Google has the most bizarre counting mechanism that I've ever seen. 4,000 "hits" in a day, yet if you count up the posts that were actually viewed, it doesn't even come to half of that.
DeleteMaybe folks are sitting in front of air conditioning Sarge and not moving much, already 80 above upon awakening this morning, eighth day of 90 plus temps in a row and the humidity.....yowsa! Fires Up North are getting rained on now, that'll help the firefighters some.
ReplyDeleteCould be.
DeleteIt is July Sarg.
ReplyDeleteYou've been hit and missing for a while so regulars visit occasionally to catch up.
Some of us visit early to see what's posted and then go about our summer.
I'm running out of material. Energy is also low, as is enthusiasm.
DeleteHow are the Stewart Light Tanks doing? Have you set aside the games?
DeletePlenty of interesting material there even with the old school cardboard squares with Cav symbols on them.
Michael the anonymous today.
I'll never set those aside, I have a stack of new ones ready to be explored ...
DeleteWhen I have the time.
Perhaps it is that the Napoleon wars are so far in the past that only a few find interest there.
ReplyDeleteAn interesting perspective, to an historian a couple of hundred years is nothing.
DeleteI've been reading your blog for ten years, maybe more, can't remember when I started. I visit every day, I like most of your historical fiction and I hope you keep at it. You are the only one who will know when it's time to stopper the inkwell.
ReplyDeleteThanks for that, we'll see how things go in the weeks ahead.
DeleteSarge, the magical counting wheel of Google seems completely broken to me as well. There is zero correspondence between what it claims one place and what it claims in another.
ReplyDeleteThe pelican information is pretty neat! I have never seen brown pelicans before.
First for me as well. Cool to watch them.
DeleteGood insights on airborne things on the Chesapeake. I did not know most of that.
ReplyDeleteJB
There's a lot going on down there, both man-made and natural!
DeleteI read this blog everyday & enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteI know, Rob. You're one of the faithful.
DeleteI had no idea we were such a small tribe. I have been lurking for a decade? Or so . Have enjoyed every post, hope to see more, but it’s your life not mine. Thank you for everything you’ve published
ReplyDeleteWell, I don't see the blog going away any time soon, I may post less frequently, because I do enjoy interacting with the readers.
DeleteDon Sergent, not anonymous
ReplyDeleteSigh
Heh, yeah, Google's helpful like that.
DeleteTo each his own. I write to vent, to think, to piss people off, and perhaps amuse others. Hits? I look at those maybe once a month. I read other's blogs because I learn things about subjects I might not consider on my own. That is a reason I read your blog.
ReplyDeleteWhen one spend four hours putting together a post, one expects folks to read it. When they don't it's very much a case of "why bother?"
DeleteYour point is made. I don't try to post every day. I have a draft going and add to it as the mood strikes.
DeleteI may go that route eventually.
DeleteOne of the things I surprisingly miss about not being on the coast is... pelicans. I've always loved watching them fly.
ReplyDeleteNow, flying poop factories, I mean 'flying rats of the sea,' I mean 'seagulls,' meh. Don't miss them at all. And yet I see them in Gainesville all the time. Sigh.
The terns seem far more fastidious, or maybe they just like pooping all over the piers down at Norfolk Naval Station. Which they seem to do a lot of.
DeleteThe pelicans were very cool!
Keep going, the weather on both sides of the Atlantic has been punishingly hot and as you get older the heat erodes your decision making capability. Where I live in the UK we are now into 28 days with no rain, everything in my garden is burnt. I've had building work going on and over here and we are just not used to having a month of every day being 80f plus so the builders are suffering in the heat and are falling behind. I would add that with regards to your writings on Napoleon and Waterloo there is a reason why Belgium was called 'The cockpit of Europe'.
ReplyDeleteRetired
PS my lawn is brown and I would love some rain.
Ah, but we have air conditioning, which makes a huge difference.
DeleteWe've got a couple of portable units which has made a huge difference. My daughter lives in London and her husband is in IT so does a lot of work from home, they had aircon fitted two years ago which has improved things considerably. The urban heat island is a real thing and it's often unpleasantly humid in the south of England.
DeleteRetired
Humidity makes things so unpleasant.
DeleteCrusty Old TV Tech here. Work has been taking my attention of late. When the latest unpleasantness at the Rocket Ranch has run its course, maybe then I can add a few words in the commbox on what's up. In any case, still following ole Boney's mirror universe doings, when you can get to them Sarge. Whenever, they are appreciated here. On the subject of seagulls, someone long ago told me they can't belch, so throw Tums up at them. They'll eat them, and eventually explode from the CO2 buildup. Sounds like an old wive's (or in this case, USAF NCO's) tale maybe! Eastern Brown Pelicans, the state bird of Louisiana. Yep, even on the state seal. Lots of 'em fly around Kemah here in my neck of the woods, swallowing bill-loads of little fishies while perched on an old pole out in the bay.
ReplyDeleteThe pelicans were fun to watch.
Delete