Thursday, June 19, 2014

Spiritus Quidem Promptus Est, Caro Autem Infirma


Okay, this post is not about the B-2 Spirit, magnificent as she might be. I just wanted to show the world an example of American power.

What's left of it.  (And that is an awesome photo, innit?)

Our so-called leaders, those idiots in DC which we elected, are driving this country to the brink of ruin. But I think everyone who reads this blog already knows that. I am, as they say, preaching to the choir.

I don't wish to rant, I have people for that. (Well, Tuna does that. And he's damn good at it. But he's on vacation. And who authorized that?) So rather than rant and rave, I'll just say, I'm angry. Angry beyond belief.

If you want to read some well written stuff on the current state of affairs in this nation, The Skipper and The DiploMad should be on your "must read" list. They're on mine. 'Nuff said.

I'm just tired, truth be told I was up far past my bedtime the past few nights. (And no, I wasn't doing anything fun. But thank you for asking.)

Damn! Say how about some good ole Civil War fife and drum music. That always gets me back on an even keel! (And to my proud Southern readers, don't get all cattywampus on me, the Civil War is what we call it up here in New England. I know what y'all call it.)

Anyhoo...

Here's that tune I promised you.


While we're at it, here's another tune I stumbled across, decided, "What the heck I'll give 'em a two-fer." Besides which, this tune is from the other side of that conflict I mentioned above.

Fair and balanced, aye.

And I do so love the music of my blood brothers and sisters from the Emerald Isle.

Warning, some of the images in this video are very graphic and may prove disturbing to the faint of heart. War is cruelty and as such cannot be refined.*



*W.T. Sherman

10 comments:

  1. Since this post is about the civil war. Maybe something about one of the first "airpower" usages, the spotting balloons from that time frame?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it didn't start as a post about the Civil War but it sure turned into one didn't it?

      But you have planted a seed for a future post. Thanks for the idea Jon!

      Delete
  2. ...don't get all cattywampus on me...

    Wait. Do all y'all Up Nawth actually SAY "cattywampus?" Or did you just see that in a GEICO ad? Enquiring Minds™ wanna know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of us do use this Up Nawth, even before the GEICO ad (which I get a kick out of).

      My maternal grandmother used the word, she was born and raised in New Hampshire. I know that it's primarily southern, but she did travel a lot. Maybe she picked it up down south.

      Delete
    2. I learn sumthin' every day. And here I thought the term was exclusively Southern.

      Delete
    3. Gram may have picked it up down there. Then again, I was stationed with a lot of Southerners over the years.

      But for the most part, that is a Southern term.

      Delete
  3. Sarge, I agree with your comments about our current crop of politicos diminishing the perception of American power. But your great photo of the magnificent B 2 is a reminder that the power is still there. We just need some new leaders with the will, common sense, guts, and skills to exercise it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more with what you say our new leaders will need.

      I think that leaves out most (if not all) of the politicians at the national level. But we shall see.

      Delete
    2. Took the words out of my mouth..........

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.