|B-52 after takeoff from Barksdale AFB USAF Photo|
"Q: Why are the windows in the S-3 tinted? A: So your friends can't see you in it."I also really like the A-7 Corsair II, which had a similar moniker- SLUF, with slow and little taking the place of big and fat.
|USS Midway Museum|
1. Speaking of old people, who was President of the USA when the B-52 went into production?
a. John F. Kennedy
b. Harry S. Truman
c. Dwight D. Eisenhower
d. Lyndon B. Johnson
Too easy- If you guessed the guy from Independence Missouri, you're correct, but Ike was elected in a landslide over Illinois Governor Adlai Stevenson in the same year, 1952, after Truman chose not to seek re-election.
2. So what happened in this picture?
a. The tail was shot off during a training event over Nellis AFB in 1962 while the aircraft was towing a banner for fighter aircraft gun training.
b. During patrol along the DMZ in 1956 after the Korean War, the norks fired a surface to air missile a the jet, destroying the vertical stabilizer, but no further damage was incurred and the crew landed safely.
c. This B-52 was configured as a testbed to investigate structural failures and in 1964, flew through severe turbulence, tearing off the vertical stabilizer.
d. The jet was struck by lightning after launching from Barksdale AFB, Louisiana.
3. True or false, a B-52 Tail-Gunner shot down a MiG during the Cold War.
4. Which weapon system launched from Navy aircraft was also in the arsenal of the B-52?
a. CBU-97 Cluster Munition
b. AGM-154 Joint Air-to-Surface Stand-Off Missile
c. AGM-129 ACM
d. AGM-84 Harpoon Anti-Ship Missile
5. True or False, the B-52 helped set the record for the fastest manned powered aircraft flight, at 6.72 Mach.
|BUFF launching from Nellis AFB Source|
6. How many total B-52s were built?
7. True or False, in 2013 the USAF had a young Captain become the first fourth generation B-52 Pilot (from the same family).
|And you thought A-10 Pilots were bad-asses.|
|Probably in Minot. "Why not Minot" as Sarge once asked? This picture pretty much answers that question for me.|
a. Frequent Wind
b. Arc Light
c. Linebacker II
d. Linebacker 1
11, What mission for the US Navy does the B-52 perform almost solely by itself?
a. Anti-Surface Warfare (Anti-Ship)
b. Softening hardened landing zones for Amphibious Warfare
c. Mine Warfare (Mine Laying)
d. Close-Air Support for Amphibious Landings
Ok, that's all I have for my first post in several weeks. I hope it tides you over for a while, since I have no idea when I'll be back. Fortunately, in my status as an independent contractor here, nobody bats an eye.
2. c. Turbulence
3. True. It happened in 1972 over Vietnam. It was the last recorded bomber-gunner to get a kill on a MiG.
4. b and d - JSOW and Harpoon
|X-15 Launch RocketRelics.com|
5. True. A B-52A was used to carry the North American X-15 which set the record.
6. a. 744 were built, but less than 80 are still in active service.
|Cpt. David "Swoop" Welch along with his father and grandfather Source|
9. c. 40%
|Hypersonic RamJet on the wing of a B-52 Source|
10. Frequent Wind had no mission for the BUFF as it was the evacuation of refugees from South Vietnam.
11. c. Mine Warfare is essentially a large area bombing mission and the Buff can hold a few more mines than an F-18.
12. The Space Shuttle