Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Sex, Religion, and Politics

(Source)
I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Pretty obvious that Mr. Jefferson never had a koobecaF account.

Anyhoo. As of late I have avoided anything to do with politics. People across the spectrum of political persuasions, beliefs, dogmas, and ideas are losing their minds right now. The less said about that the better. No doubt I will, at some point in time, resume posting tidbits about politics. For now? No. No, thank you. Not a chance.

One thing I have become aware of lately is that for some folks, food and beverage can be subjects every bit as controversial as politics. So I will also avoid any soft drink posts in the near future. When I was in SAC, "Peace is Our Profession" was the motto, no really, it was painted on the sign at the front gate. Yeah, I know peace wasn't really our thing, the motto should have been, "Better Be Peaceful or We'll Nuke the Fire Truck Out of You." But I'm a peaceful guy, no really, so I will refrain from anything which smacks of politics. Or soft drinks. For the time being.

Sex is something we just don't do here. We don't have any "Rule 5 Fridays" (whatever Rule 5 is, I am completely unclear on that), we don't post pictures of nekkid, or semi-nekkid, ladies. I know, I know, it would really boost the hits we get here but that's not what we're about. While I appreciate the human form (especially the female version) as much as the next guy, well, as much as the next heterosexual guy, it's not something I wish to display here at The Chant. (A nickname which has grown on me. Much like diet soft drinks, oops, sorry, I'll stop now.) Not saying that I don't peruse other people's posts on that topic, not saying that I do. I'm no prude just won't do it here.

So I'm refraining from political stuff (to include soft drinks) by choice. Juvat and Tuna are free to engage on that topic whenever they wish. I'm refraining because it gives me a headache. As to sex? That's something I won't touch here on the blog. That rule is set in stone. I know Juvat and Tuna feel the same way, the infrequent appearance of the lovely Miss Elisabeth Shue notwithstanding.

Religion. Now this is something I have mentioned from time to time, as have my partners in crime, but none of us have ever gone on about it at length. I might do that at some point but I am not all that comfortable stating my heretical beliefs in a public forum. Which this is. Doesn't mean that I won't talk religion here, just not now. Not to worry, I won't be proselytizing, selling, or otherwise promoting any one particular religious belief. Rest easy on that score. As the Bard said, "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." And who am I to argue with Shakespeare? (I wonder if he would like Coke or Pepsi... Sorry, did it again.)

Incidentally, sex, religion, and politics are those topics which are to be avoided in: the wardroom, at work, in mixed company, with family, with friends, with enemies, with consenting adults, with your cat (they don't really care what you talk about, as long as it's about them, dogs on the other hand will listen, and not judge you, oh yeah, cats can be very judgemental), or just about anywhere, or with anyone. Good way to start a fight, ruin friendships, cause animosity, piss people off on koobecaF (though that can be fun), and otherwise be marked down in the "Plays Well With Others" category.

So expect my posts here to be somewhat whimsical (if not outright nonsensical) from time to time, some history will be examined, who knows I might re-instate the Friday Flyby at some point. (The editorial staff just mentioned that I haven't done one of those in a while. Those can be a mother bear of an effort to do, what with the research and the careful checking of copyrights on the photos. Many nights I'm just too damned tired to do all of that work. I ain't as young as I used to be, my patience has worn thin, and yes, yes I'll admit it, I'm getting lazy in my dotage. Besides which, I have Amazon Prime and Netflix shows to binge watch, those programs ain't gonna watch themselves dontcha know?)

I like being silly, life is too damned serious as it is. I want to lighten things up when I can.

So bear with me.

(Source)
Really.




40 comments:

  1. Many years ago one of my nieces said, "Uncle John, you're acting goofy." To which I replied, "It's not an act."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!

      "Not an act." Love it, will probably "borrow" it!

      Delete
  2. Chris, I am always happy to read whatever you wish to post. The Chant is one of my regular stops on the electronic highway.

    Paul L. Quandt

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason that I come here is for the quirky humor, informative articles and your viewpoint on life in general. Yes, I do visit and comment at other sites that are more political in nature, but this place is my respite from the issues du jour. I totally agree with you on where and when to avoid certain subjects. Work is definitely one. A very good friend of mine at work is very liberal. A polar opposite of me. I don't ever remember even one instance where we discussed politics at work. Our main subjects were music and things that we miss from when we were young. Although we didn't know each other growing up we lived within a couple miles of each other during our formative years, so we had at lot of locales that we visited in common. Our encounters at work always seemed to brighten an otherwise dull or stressful day. At the other end of the spectrum was another friend who pretty much never talked about anything, but politics. Or I should say rant. Both being early risers we were always the first two people at work. Inevitably he would grab me as soon as I walked in the door and start in on the latest issue that was on the news. Most of the time, and I'm not exaggerating, the first words out of his mouth, at an elevated decibel level would be,"Did you hear what that stupid @#$% did now?" I got the distinct impression that he disliked Obama. For the longest time I would just nod or say "Yeah, I saw it on the news this morning." and let him finish his lengthly tirade. Not a pleasant way to start the day. I should have found a diplomatic way to put a stop to it early on, but I let it go on for weeks. Finally one day I was in a particularly foul mood when I got there. As soon as he started I yelled, "Brice, will you leave me the #$%^ alone? I haven't even had my coffee yet and you're ranting about stupid *&%$ that I already know all about! Give it a #$%^&* rest! I'm tired of hearing your BS every @#$%& morning as soon as I come in!" Not my finest hour. Yeah, we're still friends. We ended up apologizing to each other. It could have ended up a lot different.................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have friends, colleagues, and associates with whom I have learned NEVER to talk politics with. Once burned, twice shy dontcha know?

      The only family with whom I will discuss politics is The WSO. We think alike, act alike, have nearly identical tastes in food, humor, and music and, if I didn't know better, are almost the same person. With the difference that I am way older and she's a female. Uncanny.

      I have, at certain points in my life, wanted to go off on someone as you did with Brice. Managed to avoid it so far, though in the past few months I have been tempted.

      Delete
  4. Really? Bear puns? As someone with the actual literal surname "Bear" - this aggression cannot stand.

    (Although, I can authoritatively answer the question "Does A Bear crap in the woods?" Yes, If I have to go while I'm hiking.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm misappropriating ursine cultural stuff. It's what I do...

      That last bit, I kind of suspected that, but it's nice to have eyewitness testimony.

      Delete
    2. Eyewitness Testimony? For a multitude of reasons (primarily "Bear" and secondarily "ewwww...."), I'll take that on faith.

      Delete
    3. Horatio might wonder if a bear carries TP...

      Delete
    4. Well, I had a pocket pack of tissues. I'm not a barbearian.

      Delete
    5. Bears use Charmin, everyone who has seen their ads knows that!

      Delete
    6. @a bear - "a pocket pack of tissues" sheer poetry right there.

      Delete
    7. @SCOTTtheBADGER - squeezed or unsqueezed. Uh, the TP of course, not that other thing. Don't go there...

      Delete
  5. Re the SAC motto. When Robin Olds was doing his post-Wolfpack victory tour and the Air Force was trying to find a cage for him he gave a talk to a bunch of senior officers, about half of which were SAC guys. "I want to make one thing clear," he said. "Peace is NOT my profession! I'm a fighter pilot!"

    Sometimes the other kids just don't play nice.

    Now this rule 5 thing seems to have some merit. Not sure I'm seeing a downside...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bomber pukes. Yuk.

      I have no problem with the Rule 5 thing, I just won't do it here.

      Delete
  6. I try to tiptoe around those topics as well... mostly as I am hardly an expert on any of them.
    I don't foresee any change in that status.
    I am far too busy discovering more about me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! You're on a voyage of self-discovery!

      Which is pretty cool really.

      As to not being an expert on certain things, most people who pontificate about that stuff aren't experts either. Doesn't stop them though.

      Besides which, the stuff you post about is far more interesting.

      Delete
  7. Please stick to safer topics, that soda thing just sets some idiots off it does.

    Politics these days, holy Hannah, some people who claim to be in favor of inclusiveness exclude anyone who does not agree lock step with their positions...bullies they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know, the whole soda thing was very controversial. Or is it called "pop"? Oh dear, more controversy.

      :)

      Delete
    2. They're called "cokes" down here. Even if they're Pepsi's. Just sayin'

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I think "soda" is the generic term for a carbonated, non-alcoholic beverage in the Northeast, what they call "coke" in the South, and what they called "pop" in the Midwest. Not sure what they call it on the Left Coast, probably "Bad For You, Therefore Illegal." Or is that just NYC?

      Delete
  8. Ah....the ripostes are endless.

    I remember outside Whidbey, the sign, "The Sound of Freedom" it was directed at the people who found the sound of jets obnoxious......just after they bought HOUSES next to Whidbey Island NAS. I didn't like Whidbey for a whole host of other reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I never talk about politics, religion or women, much less coke. Too dangerous. Way too dangerous.

      Delete
    2. Well, being near an airport (or airbase/air station) makes the property affordable. So they buy, then whine. It's a buy and whine.

      Delete
    3. I see your point regarding posting about politics, religion or women.

      Uh, when did you stop posting about politics?

      :)

      (I can grok that posting about Mexican Coke might not be all that wise.)

      Delete
  9. Hmm, somehow my James Bond trivia post made it past the sensors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were Bond girls! Culturally significant and tastefully semi-nekkid. No worse than you'd see on the beach in these here United States.

      Yeah, I gave you the benefit of the doubt on that one. Knew you weren't being prurient, but I was a bit shaken. Not to mention, stirred.

      :)

      Delete
    2. I could make a joke about stiff drinks...

      Delete
    3. Your trivia post made it past the sensors, huh? Were they using infrared or motion sensors?

      Delete
  10. The big three in one header? Search engines must have zeroed in and your hit numbers explode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they are up. But not as much as for "No Coke, Pepsi!"

      Odd that.

      Delete
  11. I just saw an episode of PBS's "The American Experience" covering the 1980 Titan explosion in Arkansas that gave new meaning to the unofficial SAC motto I'd heard often on active duty: "To err is human. To forgive is not SAC policy." I highly recommend it.

    Regarding the official SAC motto, however, I have to say that it was somewhat appropriate. After WWII Europe was at peace for a half-century or so, something that hasn't happened very often. We can thank all those ORIs, Team Spirits, and such for preventing WWIII, I think, if only for the reason that we all knew what would happen if the balloon went up. So far, there's never been a full-scale war between nuclear powers. Even India and Pakistan have calmed things down since the latter got nukes--in and of itself not something I'm happy about, but what can you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kid, but the motto was appropriate, and accurate.

      I'll have to check out that series.

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure the link will post, but here it is: http://www.pbs.org/video/2365927736/

      It's called (appropriately enough) "Command and Control."

      Delete
    3. I didn't doubt you were kidding, but I wanted to make that point for some of the blog's devotees.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.