Monday, June 28, 2021

Stormy Weather♫

 Well...It's Saturday here at Rancho Juvat as I write this, so if the world ends tomorrow, I won't be able to use that news for my regularly scheduled Monday update.  Mrs J and MBD have conferred in Top Secret Session and have put together an OPLAN that rivals Operation Overlord in scope.  

Well...Maybe not quite that large!  But it does involve the moving of people and supplies.  Turns out that SIL can finish up the final courses of his Doctor of Divinity degree remotely and since their lease on a old but small house in Houston is up this week, the decision has been made to move back to College Station.  He has made some inroads with a couple of churches there and hopefully will be offered a job.  On the MBD front, she and SIL had met some friends of his family while on vacation.  One of them is a venture capitalist.  She and he got to talking about work and such and, long story short, he offered her a job.

So, I'm pretty sure, the big guy is still providing guidance and opportunity for them.  

But, that still means we have to travel to Houston and help them move.  As discussed earlier on the advice of the Chant's medical adviser (you know who you are!), my role will be to direct the loading of the moving van.  Knowing the juvat track record of moving day weather, I decided to check Houston's forecast.

Source:Weather.com

Hot, Humid, with a virtual certainty of rain.  I know, Beans, it only says 50-60%.  They're just being polite and trying to keep my hopes up.  It has always rained on every juvat move.  I think I'm at 50+ on that record.

Speaking of rain, we had an interesting bit of entertainment earlier this week.  Tuesday night one of the usual Texas overnight Thunderstorms made an appearance.  They're so common, I rarely even wake up to them anymore.  That was the case that night.

The following morning, I woke up about the usual time (sunrise if you must know) and got up to start the coffee ritual.  This time of year (hotter than Hades), it's iced coffee.  When cooler weather returns (Please Lord, soon), it's hot coffee.  Anyhow, I get up and mosey to the kitchen, as I pass through the living room, I happen to notice that the front door is wide open.  Now, since we don't live in downtown Big City, I wasn't overly concerned although we generally do close the doors and lock them at night.  I was a bit concerned about our animals however.  When I had arisen, I noticed the three dogs were all in their usual spots sound asleep (as was Mrs J at this point).  But, I hadn't noticed any of the three cats.

For those new to the show, the cats are indoor cats, a tabby (Schmedley) and two korats (Mooschka and Moushka, don't ask).  

Schmedley

Usual hiding place, behind the exercise bike, not sure which korat this is.  They're virtually identical, Moushka has a small kink in his tail as an ID aid. 
 

I do a quick search of their usual hiding spaces and see nothing.  Look out the back door and on the back porch, Mooshka is laying under the couch.  I open the door and he runs in.  One down.  Open the garage and start looking around the property to see anything.  I notice Schmedley calmly striding up the road towards the house like Marshall Dillon in Dodge City.  A bit soaked, but still exuding that confident cat "ruler of the world" attitude.  Struts into the house, mowling her demand for breakfast.

Can't find Moushka anywhere. 

Mrs J and I go to feed the horses, the barn and corral are less than a hundred yards away from the house so it's not a full scale excursion, and we hear a mournful meow from within the sunflowers growing in the corral.  It's Moushka, and he's spooked.  Won't come out of the jungle.  Until we bring his food dish outside.  Apparently he was interested in dining al fresco.  

All is now right with the world, until I notice that I'd had several missed calls around midnight.  The first was from a number I didn't recognize. The second from DIL.  Both phones had been on chargers in my office at the other end of the house and we hadn't heard them ringing..

Apparently, the folks staying in our guest house had had a slight problem overnight.  A young couple with two kids, a boy about 5 and a girl about 2.  We have roll down screens on the front porch to keep the sun from being too unbearable.  We also ask that they be rolled up before retiring for the evening, the reason will soon be obvious.

In any case, they had left them down and when the storm hit, the screens were banging and rattling and making enough of a racket to wake the parents up.  They got up and looked out the window to see what was going on and saw the screens.  So, they went outside to roll them both up, closing the door behind them.

After a bit of effort, they got the screens furled and went to go back inside, only to find the door was locked.  No, Beans, they hadn't brought the keys with them. They then tried banging on the window where the son was sleeping, to no avail.  He is dead to the world.  This was when they tried calling us as the owners.  Who are sound asleep. So, they go next door and wake up DIL.  Who doesn't have a key either.  

Fortunately after a bit of time and effort,  they managed to get a coat hanger into the door jam and pop the latch open.  Once we learned all this, we went down to check on things, a little apprehensively as, after all, we are the owners.  Knocked on the door, the wife answered. We asked if everything was ok and she said that they'd had a very exciting evening, learned a few lessons and were looking forward to returning again soon.

Since then, we've had a spare key made and stored outside, the location of which the guest can be informed should a similar situation arise.  We've also moved the phone charging station into the master bathroom.  Just in case.

Just because I get a kick out of Oskar taking himself for a walk.
Yes, Beans, the hay guy is scheduled for this week, rain permitting.


And then I went to PowerLine for the Week in Pictures.


Peace out, y'all!

After Action Report




A Lot!

40 comments:

  1. So the guests forgot to roll up the screens before retiring for the night....aha....caused their own problems then. Make a note on that on your guest database. What did I miss on causing your front door being wide open? Yaa..... a pup holding it's own leash is always grin-inducing juvat. Good luck staying dry on the move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoist by their own petard, yes. Took it in good humor though. So, Good on 'em. Lesson learned by the flight leads of both parties involved...Golden.

      Delete
  2. I was wondering the same as Nylon about the cause of the open front door... I know y'all live in the country where crime is rare, but too many crimes are committed by the bad guy(s) just walking through an unlocked door. Have you read In Cold Blood? Since we enjoy your posts, we'd like to keep you around for a while, so Lock Your Dang Doors! And please follow doctor's advice and limit your help on the move to the supervisory kind...
    Finally, referring to our demented leader's ramblings the other day, how many F15 pilots do you think would follow up on his threat to use Eagles against American citizens trying to reclaim their government?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I checked that, as I usually do, before I went to bed. Either I did not, or didn't give it a sufficient pull, or Schmedly, who's a very intelligent Cat picked the lock. Will resolve to do better.
      As to how many, been 30 years since I flew one. I'm absolutely positive none of them would. I'd like to believe the same about the current crop and certainly pray that is so. "...do solemnly swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign AND domestic..." still rings true. However, I do not think the domestic definition applies to the people the folks in power believe it does. I believe the wording would describe the person they average Washingon DC denizen sees in the mirror every day. IMHO. YMMV.

      Delete
  3. Insert (again) standard warning about observing moving and not assisting.

    Cats. The animal that believe they command the world and everything in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will also note that I am chastised by The Ravishing Mrs. TB about keeping my phone on silent ring most of the time. An old habit from the "When We Met In Person" days...

      Delete
    2. Cats are also total 100% proof that the Earth isn't flat, else they (cats) would have pushed everything off the edge by now...

      Delete
    3. THBB#1,
      Certainly that is Schmedley's viewpoint, the other two? They're a little more live and let live, up to a point. I have approached that point, but wisely backed away.

      Delete
    4. THBB#2,
      Charging it in my office is a result of having people butt dial or spam dial me in the middle of the night. Suffice it to say, my manners when such occurs, are not of the highest calling.

      Delete
    5. Beans,
      I can buy into that theory.

      Delete
    6. Fred Lewers here.
      Dogs want to be part of your pack.
      Cats want to see your resume.

      Delete
  4. I note that your record of rain and moving stands unbroken.

    Korats are interesting cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are remarkably prescient, Oh Wise One. Please see posted After Action Report.

      Delete
    2. Well, I did get an inside tip...

      Delete
    3. It got worse the next day.

      Delete
  5. I'm right there with you Juvat. I never finish a roofing adventure dry, I usually don't move without a monsoon, and if I move a piece of heavy equipment, I have to tarp it on the trailer.... Like yesterday when I got the last bungee on it, and the big drops started... always.

    Back in 1999, we had a cold wet Independence day. Strange coincidences, our neighbor across the street married a guy that lives about 6 miles south of our new place. They invited us to the farm for fireworks. I nearly froze it was so cold. We had a gulf water pump going: A stationary low that pulled humidity off the gulf, and pumped it over us. The clouds were so thick and the rain so constant, the temps were really low. Seeing the forecast for this week, reminds me of that year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume you're talking about being in the Lubbock area for that 4th. I don't recall any similar situations down here. However, after loading in the rain Sunday night and starting the drive for College Station, we stopped at a Buc-ees for gas and something to eat on the drive. I was so wet and the store was so cold, I was shivering uncontrollably. I could tell the clerk was beginning to think I was in the final stage of Wu-Flu and she was concerned. I held out my sleeve for her to touch. She gave me the "you poor (dumb) man!" look. You know which one that is, right?

      Delete
    2. Nope, we lived in Houston when we met the neighbor, and our move to south Texas was when we met her beau. Weirdness. Lubbock was always high and dry when I lived there.

      Delete
    3. STxAR,
      Yeah, same when I was there. Although the wind in winter could get pretty bitter walking the campus or the flightline.

      Delete
  6. We keep a spare key stashed outside because we have managed to lock ourselves out of the house on more than one occasion.

    Our phones spend most of their lives on charge in the kitchen.

    Very nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, many years ago not too long after we had moved to New Home, I locked myself out of the house. The Ravishing Mrs. TB and the two older Na Clann were 8 hours away. Fortunately the youngest was able to slip through the pet door (it was a rental) and get inside to unlock it. Now, we too keep a key outside.

      Delete
    2. TB. We are starting to think that we need an extra spare key for the inevitable time when we lock ourselves out, use the spare key to get back indoors, and then lock ourselves out before we remember to return the key to the outside location.
      We may end up some years down the road with an infinity of spare keys hidden outside.


      Delete
    3. THBB, that is our fall back plan for our current abode.

      Delete
    4. JIP,
      Now that's solidly a likely juvat outcome!

      Delete
  7. Our daughter's cat, a Korat, chose to live with us for about ten years. The daughter, Noelle, moved to Greece, then Hawaii before settling down. The cat never chose to go back with her. Resented his abandonment, I guess. She is here in FL right now with us, children in tow. We're taking them to MCO in about an hour for her trip back to the land of fruits and nuts. Miss Jeanie will be inconsolable, I will try to be strong. My VISA card will be able to relax a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew they existed 'til they showed up on our front porch one day (thin, hungry, a couple of miles from the closest through road, if you know what I mean). They are the friendliest cats I've ever seen. Wouldn't trade 'em for the world.

      Delete
  8. Growing up, the family moved often (as attended six different schools by 7th grade). My Dad said the way he would prefer to move was with 5 gallons of gas and a book of matches. Military families can probably agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I beat your school record by two years. Yes, I know the feeling. Right now (I'm back home after helping move MBD and SIL Out and then In in less than 24 hours. Tired? Why would you ask that? ;-)) But....We did convince them that PAYING someone to move you is much easier than DYI.

      Delete
  9. You know, reading the above post, I can imagine your squadron commander, after reading one of your AARs, pulling what's left of his hair out and shouting "JJUUUUUUVVVVAAAAAAAAATTTTTT!" so loudly it could be heard in the O Club. Why? Because you'd start a statement and then not finish.

    In other words, like everyone else shouting "JJUUUUUVVVAAAAAATTTTT!" and pulling out what's left of their hair (which, with this crowd, may not be much at all, me included,)..... What, pray tell, was up with the front door of the new house that allowed the cat-mobiles to go mobile? Hmmmmm????

    So is where MBD and SIL moving to a much nicer place than Houston? Less crime, less stupidity, less pAntifa?

    As to moving, of course it's going to rain, or sleet, or snow, or all three. Because God wants us to live exciting lives, right?

    And the weatherguessers? Always wonder why people are so into believing Antropomorphic Global Warming, Climate Change, Ozone Hole and all the other big scares when, well, the weatherguessers can't get the forecast right for 72 hours in the future. Oh, that's right, it's because the believers are idiots...

    And the weather? It's Summer. Which means, in the South, you have a 50% chance of rain. It is or it isn't. And nobody can truly predict it more than 4-5 hours out. Because Summer and the South. Fortunately we here in North Central Florida (yes, that's what they call the spine of Florida from south of Ocala to just north of I-10 (we don't know what they call the plop of land between just north of I-10 and the Georgia border. We don't know if anything lives there besides truckers and the Florida Highway Patrol...)) have witnessed the return of 'normal' Summer weather, which is, moderately hot - high 80's to low 90's - and about a 50-60% chance of afternoon thunderboomers with a decent amount of rain, and living in Gainesville, the storms actually have a chance of hitting us. Since Gainesville is on high ground (yes, really, 10-30' higher, and in some places higher, than the surrounding land) it is not uncommon for even a big storm to shimmy around us or even break and go around both sides. Annoying. But, well, proof that Mother Nature hates leftists...

    Being the Loadmaster is fun. Beats having to move glass tabletops and other stupidly fragile objects.

    Other than that, glad the cats made it home. Glad you moved your phones to where you can hear them. Glad you all are okay. Looking forward to next week's update of "Life with juvat!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank the Lord every day that my current wife, Jeanie, was born South of I-10. About a mile and a half. Yes, that close. Live Oak is the name you're wondering about.

      Delete
    2. Beans,
      I wouldn't dare use my/USAF/DOD AAR writing style on the trusting readers of this blog. I, myself, fell asleep, multiple times while writing them. Fortunately, only a few black eyes and a busted out front tooth were inflicted on myself. I can't bring myself to inflict similar injuries on the Chant's Clan. I will endeavor to improve my writing style, but...Hey, I'm a fighter pilot, what you see...IS WHAT YOU GOT!

      Delete
    3. Lt Fuzz,
      There's something to be said for Southeren (not misspelled) Women. Mrs J having been born in WESCONsin (also not misspelled) has a lot going for her also. (Mostly for putting up with me for comming up on 39 years).

      Delete
  10. @juvat/

    Ah, the joys of Texas weather!!! Ain't it grand!!?? And there's so much of it to go around! As the old song (imho best preformed by Kinky Friedman & The Texas Jew-Boys) goes: "I see miles and miles of Texas!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: First caught the act of Kinky & crew on the old Don Imus TV show back in the day when it was on CNBC live out of NYC in the early am. Funny as hell--knocked me out!

      Delete
    2. I saw Kinky one time in my life. It was sometime in the late 70's at a venue (venue being Latin for Bar) in DFW. I don't think I've ever had so much fun and laughed so hard in my life.

      Delete
  11. Sorry for the late response, we had a frog strangler up here WITH lightning, so the computator was off most of the afternoon/evening. Glad y'all came through okay along with the animals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. Excellent post on rescue operation considerations, BTW. We went through a similar planning session while spinning up a JTF to conduct rescue and humanitarian support after Bangladesh got hit by a Tropical Cyclone (aka Hurricane or Typhoon only in the Indian Ocean). Fortunately, that got cancelled but only after the GG shot was administered.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.