Thursday, June 24, 2021

You Can't Tell Us...

Why yes, I am beating myself up over a mistake.

In the immortal words of a friend of mine...

You can't tell us you bought four new books and then not say what they are!

Well, apparently I can.

Oops!

Yesterday's post is where I committed that sin, which after I posted a link to it, my buddy up nawth of Glos'tah called me out. As can be seen in the screen shot below.


So here I am to rectify that error, with a bonus look at the entire "stack of the unread..."

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

First off, the four books on the bottom are the ones I neglected to mention in yesterday's post. The one on the top is the one I did mention. (Thanks for that tip Virgil!)


I read The Pillars of the Earth some twenty years ago. My Dad had a copy, which he loaned me when we went up to Maine for a weekend. I was job hunting, he just wanted to visit his place in Maine, which I did as well.

No, I didn't read the book over the weekend, but it was tough to put down. Dad's been gone eleven years now, whatever happened to his copy of that book, I don't know. But when I saw it in Barnes & Noble, it brought forth some very pleasant memories of time spent with my Dad. So, I had to have it. (It's also a rather great book!)

King Philip's War (the war, not the book which was published in 1999) I knew of from my days in school long ago here in New England. I had forgotten about that war until I moved to Little Rhody, I live not two and a half miles from where the eponymous figure of that war met his death. The road I travel to work everyday is named for him. Too bad we couldn't have treated him better back then! The book also goes hand in hand with my current novel. Though King Philip's War predates the novel by some sixty-five years, it inspired me to write of that time period when the frontier wasn't far from where I live.

The Fall of Berlin 1945 was a "must have" as I've read three of Antony Beevor's books on WWII so far, and am in the process of reading a fourth even as I write. The man is simply brilliant as both a writer and an historian.

What I've read:
  • Stalingrad
  • Ardennes 1944, The Battle of the Bulge
  • The Battle of Arnhem
And what I'm reading now:
  • D-Day, The Battle for Normandy
Well-written and he pulls no punches with generals who do stupid things. Surprising that a Brit would be so harsh on "Monty," but he is. He's also not a big fan of Omar Bradley, which I get, I'm not a huge fan of the man either. (I'm more a Patton man.)

If you haven't read any of his work, you should.

War Lord - What can I say, I think I've read damned near everything Mr. Cornwell has written (I'm still missing a few volumes of the Sharpe series, but I'll get to them eventually.) This one is, I believe, the final book in the Saxon Chronicles. Mr. Cornwell is a brilliant storyteller and I've been impatiently waiting to see what happens to Uhtred of Bebbanburg. It's going to be an interesting summer.

Now the books below are also on the unread stack. The bottom three were from a friend, as I've read four books on the Pacific War since the turn of the year, those will be read when I've recovered from that.

Speaking of which, I read Six Frigates about ten years ago. I had it on my Nook, which died some time ago. I've been hot to get a dead-tree copy for some time. Now I have it!

Mr. Toll's three volume series on the Pacific War were three of the four books I've read on the Pacific since January. The novel A Quiet Cadence was recommended on the Book of Faces by a friend of mine out Colorado way.


As she also recommended this:

(Source)

...which is the fourth book I've read on the Pacific since January. Very good, covers a lot of the fighting on the ground, which the others didn't. Dorothy didn't steer me wrong on this one, so when she recommended the other, I jumped.

In the middle of looking up when I bought the book above (and getting a picture of it) I realized that there is yet another book on the unread stack, this one:

(Source)

Which I really picked up for multiple reasons:
  • One of the pilots involved was a local boy (Fall River, MA)
  • The story is heart-rending and is truly a tale of American greatness, who we should be and who we often are. (A pox on the media!)
  • I've read two of his other books, and Mr. Makos is a wonderful storyteller.
What were the other two books I've read of his? Glad you asked...

(Source)

(Source)

While researching all this, I found a couple of other books I simply must have...

(Source)

(Source)

Do I like Jeff Shaara's work? You betcha! (His Dad wrote the best Civil War novel I've ever read, The Killer Angels. His son has carried on that legacy brilliantly, if you ask me...)

So call it "Sarge's recommended reading list" if you will. The aforementioned books are what I like to call, "a good start."

See you in the library!




52 comments:

  1. Am waiting on those two Shaara books myself, come on Fed Ex! Have had his American evolution duology some nineteen years already and still have the last two volumes in his WWII series to acquire. Dang it Sarge! With you posting more books the old credit card is going to heat up now.........:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently reading Hornfischer's "Neptune's Inferno" and I didn't really know the price the Navy paid to learn how to fight the IJN around Guadalcanal.
    And there is a lot of stupid to go around.

    Retirement was supposed to allow much more time for reading, but that hasn't exactly been true.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a reason that stretch of water near the 'Canal is known as "Ironbottom Sound."

      Delete
  3. Killer Angels is my favorite book of all time. The picture he paints of Chamberlain during the battle of Little Round Top still sends chills down my spine. I did not know his son had pivoted to WWII. He wrote some excellent books to "bookend" his fathers masterpiece. I will look into those.

    Six Frigates is excellent. Anything by Bernard Cornwell is amazing.

    An I am sure you have read the outstanding books by James D. Hornfischer "Neptune's Inferno" and, what I consider the best book written about the navy in WWII "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailor"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have (and have read) Hornfischer's trilogy, an amazing writer and sound historian.

      Delete
  4. Gentle folks, find Abebooks online. I have increased my library by several pounds with this wonderful resource.

    Do you need more than 30 minutes of sleep Sarge? Reading, writing, work, family.... Either you have a tardis and can be in two places at once, or you don't need sleep. Did you take the Evelyn Wood speed reading course? The ones that all presidents are taught? Following the finger???

    Inquiring minds want to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abebooks is a good resource.

      What's sleep? Seriously, I read very quickly naturally, I discovered a love of books when I was very young. As to speed reading, I see no need for it, it would be like rushing through a fine meal. I like to savor what I read.

      Delete
  5. Sarge, I may have met my match in "books on the stack to be read list". That looks like a wonderful collection. I have seen King's Phillip's War but never picked it up; I will be interested to hear of your opinion.

    Also, I believe Pillars of the Earth is amidst my mother's collection. I will grab it the next time I am there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After action reports on the books will follow. POCIR.

      I read a fairly decent article in a history magazine some time back on King Philip's War, when I leafed through the book, I realized that I didn't know enough!

      Delete
    2. After Action Reports, and Lessons Learned?

      Delete
  6. Read Pillars of the Earth and King Phillip's War. I found I had to put the book down occasionally to process what just happened and deal with it emotionally (death from childbirth, rape, etc). King Phillip's War was interesting in that it documents a mostly forgotten bit of (pre) US history.

    The Killer Angels for a long time was a summer tradition about this time of year as I liked reading the details of the Battle of Gettysburg basically on the days they happened. One throw away line from the book has saved me a lot of money in poker over the years as General Longstreet when asked how often should one draw to an inside straight answered NEVER. I have NEVER drawn to an inside straight since reading that line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An excellent read, and good poker advice, what's not to like!

      Delete
  7. Curse you, OAFS! You're going to contribute mightily to my divorce! My wife is a neatness freak & wants no more books in our place than we have book-shelves for and I'm waaaaay over that limit already, no little thanks to you! (remind me to send you my divorce attnys bills)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VX, Tell her, "Bookshelves are easy, Books are priceless."


      Didn't work for me, but might for you. ;-) (She bought me an iPad)

      Delete
    2. Virgil - My wife is much the same, she keeps telling me to go through my book collection and throw out (or give away) the ones I don't want. Not gonna happen!

      Delete
    3. VX - there are some really neat designs for bookshelves that are hung like doors in front of other bookshelves. Then there are those rolling shelves like at doctors' offices and in some libraries, where you can cram a heckuvalota shelves in a smaller location - just don't get caught in the 'stacks' if your wife is on the warpath...

      Delete
    4. @Beans/ "Whom knew" home libraries and/or their associated "staff" could ever be so dangerous to their patrons? :)

      Delete
    5. I keep eyeing the children's bedrooms and muttering to myself...

      Delete
    6. TB - Already took those over when the kids went into the Navy!

      Delete
  8. I'm about halfway through Shaara's Book about Pearl Harbor. His Midway book is queued up on my iPad. Killer Angels was required reading at SAMS and stood me in good stead later when Little Juvat's Scout Troop took a trip to Gettysburg. Read both Makos books you mentioned as well as Six Frigates and agree with your assessment. I would recommend adding Ras's Trilogy to your reading list if you haven't already. I've lost count of how many times I've read them.
    But, as expected, you and I have similar tastes in literature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one of Ras's books, keep forgetting to get the others. Thanks for reminding me! (Now I know why he seems to be glaring at me up there on the masthead.)

      Delete
    2. You mean I've read more of Ras than you have? GAAAAASSSSSPPPPP!!!!!!

      Delete
  9. Just added all those to my amazon wish list...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarge, I assume your employment involves the use of mathematics and you are good at it, since you have obviously mastered the Readin' and wRitin' parts of the three R's. No wonder you can drone on, umm, I mean talk so eloquently about such historic periods. :-)
    I also have a big stack of unread material, and while the material is often historic, it also tends toward technical subjects revolving around firearms and their employment in self defense. And the backlog grows due to household projects and the demands of work-in-retirement, as well as the rabbit holes I keep pursuing on the interwebz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm "okay" at math, I know enough to not be dangerous, if you know what I mean.

      The study of history is my life's blood. (Military history in particular!)

      Having something which needs to be read keeps one alive, so I believe!

      Delete
  11. I read a Higher Call on your recommendation. At first thought how much can be embellished but it was excellent, taking us in to noth of their worlds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how he covers more than just the key story in the book, the events leading up to, and also the aftermath.

      Delete
  12. Indians of NJ should be in my mailbox today.
    Some god ones to add to my list there, Sarge. Thanks for the recommendations-- and everyone else's too.
    John Blackshoe

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know, I thought everyone knew about the six original frigates of the US Navy, and the fate of the Philadelphia, along with the actions of a young Decatur. Things I knew when I was a wee sprout... I was and am continually amazed and agog and, quite frankly, peeved at the American Educational System for whitewashing such heroes and heroics out of our schools. Bastids.

    As to the Pacific War, it's almost like it's a completely different war. Duh. But really. It's not like the war we grew up with, "Combat!" and "Rat Patrol" and even "Hogan's Heroes." It's more a dark twisted war of long supply trains, lack of resources (in '42 and '43) and very much a 'make-do' attitude amongst Allied troops as they fought, fought bitterly, to stem the rush of the Japanese.

    Yamamoto was right about being able to have his way for 6 months to a year before the hammer fell. And from what I've read, '43 was very much a learning curve on all things amphibious and large fleet operations.

    I don't have the dexterity to hold books anymore, and no space to store them anyways, so I rely upon books I can read on the combonculator. And a limited number at that, as finances restrict access to many books. Poo. Dangit. Oh, well, just have to muddle through somehow.

    As to the two admirals, them's some great Americans. Again, I thought and think it's weird that more people didn't and don't know about those two. And Mitscher. Great men, great men. Must be horrible to throw both ships and men at the enemy. In an environment where death is often before wounding. As the oceans have been and always will be the first enemy of any sailor...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beans. I had to turn set down the E-reader for a little bit after reading Hornfischer's description of what the crew found during a human remains cleanup.

      Delete
    2. The Naviguesser had some experience of that with an S-3 that went in. Not a fond memory.

      Delete
  14. Oh my, some more titles to consider. Here in the condo, after seven or eight years (?) we have reached critical mass. I just ordered toilet tissue, will have to use what we have quickly to store nw supply. Mexican food anyone? Anyone?
    My wife's rule (but not mine yet) is one book in two out. The folks downstairs here in the condo have a library of sorts and I can put some of them down there. For the most part, reading what i read, would blow their heads off. Ron Paul, G. Edward Griffin, still working through Carrol Quigley, et al. I can't throw out my SEA stuff, my Sand and Steel, my Snow and Steel, my Robin Olds, my Julia Child (!)
    What a pleasant dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, too many books. (Really? There is such a thing?)

      Delete
  15. Giangreco' s book is very good! I recommend it, strongly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Pillar of Fire" has two sequels, "World Without End" and "A Column of Fire". There is a prequel "The Evening and the Morning".
    Mark Adkin has a book out "The Sharpe Companion", it follows Sharpe's early life and military career up to 1808. The website "southessex.co.uk" has ifo about the Sharpe TV series. The book shows the military equipment Sharpe would have used, the customs of the times and why and how the battles were fought.
    There are four DVDs out on Corwell's Warlord series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew of the sequels, not the prequel. Looks like I need to go shopping... Again.

      Delete
  17. If you enjoyed 'A Higher Call', listen to the song 'No Bullets Fly' by Sabaton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice!

      I love how Sabaton uses historical incidents and famous battles to inspire their music.

      Delete
  18. I have to say, your reading list is far better than the CNO's, if only because it doesn't have any avowed Marxists on it. Hmm, I feel another rant coming on. I'd better sit down.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I find Schaara's work to be the most boring stuff I've ever read and I've read a bunch.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.