Friday, December 10, 2021

Traditions ... And Bears

(Source)
Though the ornaments in the picture above are all the same color, my mother had glass ornaments of many colors, the picture reminds me of when I was nobbut a lad. You'd also have to take away the little lights and just leave the bigger ones, which would again be multiple colors, but it's close.

We always had a real tree when I was young. It was always interesting to see my father attempt to set the tree up in a corner of the living room so that the fullest side was forward and so that the tree itself was straight. This usually involved my Dad crawling under the tree to move the base while my Mom directed him. Straightening the tree involved string and nails.

The string would be tied to the top of the tree (or near it) and then the string would be tied to nails which would then be nailed to strategic locations just below the ceiling in order to get the tree to stand up straight enough for Mom's approval. Usually this would take at least two lengths of string.

Now you might think that may have looked a bit odd to have this string going from the tree to various locations at ceiling height. Not really, Mom would use the string to hang Christmas cards from. So you'd walk into our living room to see the Christmas tree in the corner with Christmas cards displayed hanging from the string. It presented a most festive aspect. At least it seemed so to me.

Another of Dad's jobs was hauling all the boxes containing the tree decorations down from the attic. From said boxes he would extract the strings of lights for the tree, which always had to be untangled. Then tested for burnt out bulbs, which in those days could be quite an adventure, if one bulb went, none of them would light up. So each bulb had to be tapped, twisted, then replaced until the entire string was lit. Then Dad would put them in the tree. Which also had to be to Mom's exacting specifications as to placement, colors, and distribution. All very important things.

Once that was all done, I believe Dad would retire to the kitchen and have a beer, or three. All the while muttering dark imprecations about the onset of the holidays, etc., etc. While he did that, my brothers and I would "help" Mom decorate the tree. But not before Mom had placed garlands on the tree which went in front of the lights and behind the ornaments. This could take some time as Mom would adjust the garland, adjust the light strands, then step back to see what it looked like.

As you might imagine the lower part of the tree received the bulk of the decorations as we weren't tall enough to reach the upper branches. We also tended to place them poorly so that the branch would droop under the weight of the ornament or simply fall off and smash itself on the floor. This always seemed to draw a sigh from Mom, we often assumed that we had just smashed some precious family heirloom when that happened. Often that assumption was correct.

Once the ornaments were all on, it was time to festoon the tree with tinsel. Again my brothers and I rather sucked at tinsel placement. Too much, too little, too close together, too far apart, we never seemed to get it right. By the time we were done it looked fine to us.

The next morning we'd get up, excited to see the tree in the living room. It always looked so much better the morning after it was decorated. What I didn't realize was that Mom would stay up half the night adjusting, moving, and redistributing the stuff my brothers and I had hung from the tree.

I learned that much later in life when The Missus Herself would do what my mother used to do. She made sure to inform me of the never-ending work that mothers do to make life that much better. At some level I know this, but I'm a guy so of course I take it for granted. It's what we men do, I suppose.

We also had window candles which, as near as I can recall, Mom would put in each window, except for those in the back of the house which faced the forest. My brothers and I would argue that we should have lights back there as well. Of course, the parental units pointed out the fact that there was no one back in the forest to see those lights except the deer, the squirrels, and the occasional bear.

Yes, I said bear.

We did eventually get the lights in the back of the house as The Olde Vermonter and I shared a room in the back corner of the house which had two windows. The window on the side of the house had a candle, we felt that the window in the back should also have a candle. Two brothers, two candles, it just seemed right. Not to mention that we'd fight over who the single candle belonged to, I claimed it as the oldest, he claimed it as it was closer to his bed. Installing a second candle obviated the need for my Dad to shout up the stairs "Would you two boys shut up and go to sleep!" Well, we'd stop arguing about the candles anyway. We found other things to jabber about when we were supposed to be sleeping.

Now, about that bear ...

One late November, early December, we were preparing to decorate for Christmas. Dad would usually go up into the forest and cut some fresh pine/fir boughs to decorate the exterior of the house. That year was no different. I do believe that I was in high school at the time.

Anyhoo, my brothers and I and were out in the yard doing something, kid things no doubt, when all of a sudden, Dad comes running down out of the woods as if his hair is on fire. And he's yelling, "BEAR!"

Now we three brothers all looked up into the woods, figuring that the bear must be chasing Dad. Nope, nothing, nada.

We all kinda looked at him and he began to tell us of the bear he claimed to have seen. At that point my Mom came out to see what all the ruckus was about.

"I was walking up through the woods where there is this downed tree, and up pops this big black furry thing. It was a bear." Dad was still panting from his ursine encounter and his run down through the woods. I knew the downed tree he spoke of, he must have ran a good three hundred yards.

Mom just kind of looked at him and said, "Probably just a big dog, geez, you make a big deal of everything."

Dad wasn't too happy that we all kinda doubted his story.

In the weeks that followed I had occasion to be up in the woods, so I checked around that downed tree. Of course, it had been a while so there were no tracks. But I did see some bear scat. Dad had indeed seen a bear.

Mom didn't believe him until she saw a newspaper article telling of the "bear seen on Craig Hill," which was just behind our house.

Wow. He had seen a bear.



24 comments:

  1. No bears when your home backs up to a dairy farm. Groundhogs in the hayfield in the summer, of course, but no bears. Those hung around out at the town dump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bears and town dumps, seems natural. (Yes, I no it isn't.)

      Delete
  2. I saw the last bear taken in Kendall County Texas. We were wiring the place, like a private game museum near Boerne. I had to reach over the the mount to do something. There were trophies all over the walls. I would like to meet one face to face. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Came close when I was out hunting back in the day. It was late, I was heading back to the car. It was starting to get dark in the woods, I startled something which went one way, I kept going my way, but a bit more expeditiously. It sounded like a bear. Who knows?

      Delete
  3. There have been bear sightings in Rhode Island but only on the other side of Narragansett Bay. Being true Rhode Islanders they do not cross over to our side. Old Guns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As to tree decorations my father would put the lights on first, no adjacent bulbs of the same colour. He would match the colour of the balls to the bulbs so the tree looked the same day or night. We still have some ornaments dating from the 1890's. His parents didn't have a tree until after my aunt was born in 1892. The first few years of our marriage I adhered to his precepts until wife proclaimed it was too technical and she wanted more spontaneity and assumed the task. I am now responsible for the erection, stabilization, and watering. We use 15# monofilament fishing line in case the cat thinks he should attack. OG

      Delete
    2. OG #1 - I see the reports of those bears from time to time. Definitely RI bears in their travel habits!

      Delete
    3. OG #2 - Too technical? But, but, that's just the way you are. Nothing wrong with that after all, 'tis the Way.

      Delete
  4. Very similar to our experience growing up Sarge. TB The Elder would haul down the lights (indoors and out), hang the lights (on the tree and outside) and then retreat. The more I have done this, the more I appreciate the wisdom of his retreating to a quiet portion of the house. My sister and I would "help" with the tree until, as you say, my mother "fixed" things.

    Tinsel. Dear Lord, how long since I have seen that on a tree. It is probably illegal now.

    We do have bears at The Ranch and (based on the scat) they do come close to the house. I have only seen them at a distance, but for people in the neighborhood, they can make themselves known on trash day. My funny bear story is from my Great Aunt, who originally owned The Ranch: For years growing up, we were told she had a bear paw in her freezer from a bear her sister (another of my Great Aunts) had shot years ago. We never saw it - as I boy I poked around once or twice - but we were always told it was there. I talked to my Uncle when he move into that house and was cleaning it up. Yup, turns out it really was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bear paw in the freezer? Sounds very old school.

      Delete
  5. When the time came for my sister and I to help decorate the tree instead of waking in the morning and finding the tree decorated, I recall that we needed to be repeatedly told that the old style heavy lead tinsel strands weren't to be put on the tree in bunches, but each strand had to be placed carefully on the tree, and equally, or possibly more important, each one of those strands had to be carefully picked off of the tree and neatly put pack into the cardboard package for use the next year.

    Other than our trips to the American National Parks, I haven't ever seen a bear in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, tinsel has to be applied a certain way, no child, in my experience, has that kind of patience nor that kind of attention to detail.

      Lord knows I didn't. Still don't but we stopped tinseling the tree years ago by Imperial decree. The Missus Herself said, "No more tinsel," and lo and behold, it was so.

      Delete
  6. Black bears were very rare when I lived in southern VT in the ‘80s Now, they’re down into CT. Same with bobcats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with moose! Used to have to go all the way up to Maine. My parents had one on their front lawn a few years back in southern NH on the Connecticut River.

      (No kidding? You lived in southern VT? East or west? I grew up in Springfield, VT. Small world!)

      Delete
    2. Ah, just south of Brattleboro. Another eastern Vermont town on I-91 near the Connecticut River. Been through there a couple of times but long, long ago.

      Delete
  7. Ah, traditions. How they stay the same while morphing over the ages is an interesting thing.

    Back in the day when Mrs. Andrew and I did a real tree, we tended to buy from one lot only as their trees seemed to last radically long. And there is very much an art to selecting a real tree.

    Then there was one year when we were baroke, so we went to one of the many abandoned limestone quarries and cut our own cedar tree. That was fun, special and we only did it once.

    After a while, the joys of artificial trees became true, as I found, when flush with some cash, an artificial tree marked way down after Christmas one year at Homey Despot. Still using that tree in one form or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We started going with artificial trees back in the '80s. Sad thing for me is seeing the discarded Christmas trees waiting curbside for the trash pickup. Sometimes the day AFTER Christmas.

      Artificial gets reused year after year, bringing memories every time you open the box.

      Sadly we have nothing these days, kids all moved away and we usually go elsewhere for Christmas.

      Sigh ...

      Delete
  8. Had a bear visit GS and I whilst camping at Trinity Lake once, back in the early '80s.
    Shined a flashlight on it and hollered, "Get the #^(k outta here!"
    It worked.

    I have seldom, if ever, been in the mood for trimming the tree.
    I chalk that up to having the fun taken out of it by adult supervisors.
    The lights are about the only thing I have ever done right.
    We currently have a pre-lit artificial tree.
    So now my contribution is helping erect the tree and purchasing the annual ornament, which recently has meant shopping at the visitor center at a national park.
    That's the fun part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I chalk that up to having the fun taken out of it by adult supervisors." So much of life is ruined by precisely that.

      An annual ornament? I have heard of such things. I prefer sticking with the stuff we've had forever. Others insist on buying new things from time to time. Sometimes I can be a real stick in the mud.

      Sigh ...

      Delete
  9. I love this post and remember my dad doing pretty much the same thing. It's easier now, thank God.

    Just put up Ma LSPS's Christmas in Dallas, and it looks good, we only smashed a few :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LSP.

      Seems you always lose an ornament or two, at least we seemed to!

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.