Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Well Alrighty Then ...


So The Missus Herself and Your Humble Scribe have dwelled near the shores of Narragansett Bay for nigh on to twenty-three years now. Not once have we seen snow upon either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day here in Little Rhody.

Sure, we've been up in New Hampshire for a white Christmas or two (believe me, white Christmases are very much a New England thing, not universal up here mind you, but most of us enjoy a bit of the white stuff for Christmas) but never in Little Rhody.

Sure, sure, it has snowed the week before Christmas (all melted by the Holy Day itself) or the week after Christmas which, I mean really, what's the point?

Now most of you are probably aware that we traveled south for Christmas again this year. Though shortened by Adventures in Dentistry¹ we did have a very good time, Christmas Day was lovely, temperatures in the 60s. Though 'twas nice to get outside and enjoy the lovely sunshine, it hardly felt Christmasy weather-wise, if'n you know what I mean. (Well, unless like Beans or juvat or Tuna or LUSH you live in Florida or Texas or California.)

So of course while we were down south (Maryland is indeed below the Mason-Dixon line) it snowed on Christmas Eve in Little Rhody. So we missed having a Bing Crosby song Christmas by that much.

Now see that picture above, well that was Annapolis, Maryland on the 3rd of January, a week and change AFTER Christmas. The Nuke said it amounted to about ten inches all told. My grandson Robbie can vouch for that -

Hey Grandpa! Look at all the snow we got!
I can also report that the wee lad has learned a new word ...

Yup, that's right ...

SNOW

Now I wasn't sure if Beans had anything to post today, but I wanted to jump in and report on this meteorological event which, sadly, I missed. What I didn't miss was losing power, which The Nuke reported they had indeed lost sometime after noon. While it was restored around dinnertime (which in Nukeland is 1800ish) that apparently didn't happen until her clan had made hotel reservations and dropped a deposit for said room.

What? A hotel? Why?

Well, while they have a fire place which heats the living room very well, and having laid in a substantial amount of firewood, well ...

(Damn it Sarge, why do you keep saying "well"?)

They get their water from a well upon the property, which only provides water when there is power to the pump.

Guess who's making plans to get a generator?

I shoveled this all by myself!
(Okay, Mom and Dad and my big sister helped a little ...)
So that was interesting. It was supposed to snow here, in Little Rhody, but the storm which dumped all that white stuff upon Maryland (and other places in the environs of our nation's capital) stayed out to sea the whole day for us. High pressure in northern New England brought frigid air down from Canada and kept the storm out in the Atlantic. I know, I watched it on radar.

Did I want snow here?

Yes.

A little, nothing huge, just enough to whiten the trees and the land so I could say, "Ah, isn't that pretty," before wondering when it was going to stop.

But the weather guessers promise an inch or two Thursday into Friday this week. It would be nice to see, after all, I'm off until the 10th of January so, as the song says ...

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow ...

Ah well, I'm sure others would rather not have it snow, I'm okay with that ...

Bloody Grinches!




¹ To be explained at a later date, in full.

28 comments:

  1. As of 1439Z NOAH has upgraded Friday's potential snowfall to 4-7". I will hook up the plows tomorrow if the forecast holds. Old Guns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 41.680N-71.278W point forecast. OG

      Delete
    2. At first the forecast said 3 to 7, then 1 to 2, now it has climbed back up.

      Makes me super confident ...

      Not.

      Delete
    3. Ah, so that forecast is for your backyard? 🤣

      Delete
    4. Ah, the old artilleryman knows better than to give away his position!

      Delete
  2. No snow down here in east central Florida so far this year (or last year for that matter), although I did see snow falling one time when walking across the parking lot to the headquarters building at KSC several years ago. No accumulation on the ground, however.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m across the state line to the west. There wasn’t a lot of snow on Xmas Day, but it counted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a few flakes swirl around, but nothing accumulated on the ground, the streets, or the cars.

    We are totally OK with that.

    NOAA says we might have another chance for snow later this week.

    How is the tooth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a temporary crown put installed on Monday, permanent in another week or so. No pain, teeth are once again fully mission capable.

      Delete
    2. Good news.
      We added the Dental Care option to Tricare for Life when my wife retired, and it's worked out well for us.

      Delete
    3. FMC, but you're still AWP!

      Delete
    4. Yup, spare parts have ever been a problem. 😏

      Delete
  5. Sarge, at The Ranch this is a real thing, although not always common. As I write this, they have been without power for over a week now (and where we are, most folks are on wells). I am hopeful that when I get there on Saturday there is power. There a woodstove so heat and even cooking are not a concern (actually, the biggest concern is being able to dial out for InterWeb for work!). But water is a thing beyond the whatever happens to be in the tank at the time the power goes out. Fortunately my father purchased a generator (before the rush) so that is covered, but it is still an inconvenience at best.

    Very cute picture of the Lad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first he didn't much care for the snow, tough to walk in for a fellow of his stature. Once Mom and Dad had cleared some space for him, he was enjoying himself.

      Delete
  6. Well, good that they saw the light about back-up power for the well, have they got a few other matters prepared as well? Hmmmmmm....Robbie needs to receive a toy snow shovel about now Sarge don't you think? Had another inch here overnight, that makes 21 for the season, we average 54. Enjoy the white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally didn't get to see that batch, apparently we're getting our own in the next cuppla.

      Delete
  7. I absolutely loved the way the media stepped on the snow shovel and knocked out a few teeth with their blaming the VA governor-ELECT for failing to take action to clear I-95. That made my day.
    Glad all is well with the clan and the teeth.

    Weather is back up to comfortable around here for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The media prove themselves incapable of reporting news each and every time they open their mouths. A ne'er-do-well gang of clowns, inept morons, and peckerheads, they make Facebook look "reasonable." (I include all flavors of the MSM in that, yes, Fox too.)

      Delete
    2. Juvat, I noted that as well. Apparently the standards for becoming a reporter continue to drop, almost by the day now.

      Delete
    3. I hadn't heard that they were slamming on the governor-elect. That is hilarious and shows just how tripwired they are to criticize anyone on the right for anything whatsoever.

      Delete
  8. First time ever I saw snow was Christmas Morn, in 1973, in Satellite Beach, FL, just south of the Cape. The snow, like too many Olympic gymnasts, didn't stick the landing, but it was decidedly snow.

    Second time I saw snow (on the ground, actually touchable this time) was on a Lynx trip (Christian adventure group) to the Smokies where I both saw and touched snow and found out I really HATE being out of the tree cover on a mountain. Really really hate it. Though I also saw Pigeon Forge, TN, before it got overly commercialized.

    Third time I saw snow was a couple days before Christmas in 1989 in Gainesville, FL. That's the day it went from 79 to 19 in 6 hours, started raining at 79 and hit snow at the appropriate temperature, iced over roads, closed down the local airport (my check was coming from Chicago, almost didn't get to me, had to land in Jacksonville and barely make it by UPS truck. Kids these days have no idea how screwed up the world was before everything was electronic.)

    That, 1989, was the first time I got to play in snow. Fun. Then trying to escape the ice. Not fun. I-75 was iced over from Atlanta to Ocala, so I took backroads to get to the family home in Satellite Beach. Kind of like driving on bald tires during a fresh rain storm that lifts all the oils off the road. Was a tad bit harrowing until we reached the I-4 corridor, then it was smooth sailing.

    So it looks like The Nuke has the same situation as The juvat, needs for generators and an insulated pump/well house.

    Glad you survived all the chaos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pump is inside, all it lacks is a back-up generator.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.