Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Winding Down


Got over to Fort Rosecrans on Sunday, it was kind of emotional, always is.

LUSH and the kids got into town Sunday. Oddly enough Big Time's cousin was in town, so we rendezvoused with her and her husband for lunch. As the hotel is right next to Little Italy, we got Italian. If you ever get to Sandy Eggo, go to Bencotto's Italian Kitchen, unbelievable pasta.

I had the Tortelli di Zucca, which is hand made ravioli filled with butternut squash, parmigiano and amaretto, served in creamy butter and sage sauce with crunchy bacon. Trust me, it's to die for.

Afterwards we had gelato, of course. Bobboi Natural Gelato, again, to die for. Both of these places are in walking distance of my hotel.

After stuffing ourselves we went out to Point Loma, to visit with Hizzoner. On the walk back to the hotel I spotted a carrier. Couldn't make out the number so I zoomed in with my cell phone camera.


"Great job, Dad. Ya know you need both numbers, right?"

Argh. Later on LUSH got a better look, USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) is what she saw. Alrighty then.

Anyhoo, we stopped by to pay our respects to Lex. After a few moments of trying to contain myself, I went over to look out towards North Island. I turned back, once my emotions were in check, to see this ...

Isabelle praying for Lex.

I tell ya, I nearly lost it. LUSH and Big Time are raising their girls right.


Sigh, still hurts all these years later.

RIP, brother.


Went down to Pier 12 afterwards so LUSH and the kids could see my workplace out here. No pictures. (Hey, Security!) Alexandra mentioned that it was very futuristic looking. It really is.

John Blackshoe wondered how she rides, very well according to the crew.

While her sister, USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000), looks rather worn and tired, USS Michael Monsoor looks like she just rolled off the showroom floor. Her crew are proud of their ship, and it shows.

USS Michael Monsoor (DDG 1001) during her acceptance trials in February of 2018
(Source)
Heading home on Saturday ...

I'm going to miss all this.





12 comments:

  1. Glad you had such a good outing Sarge. Very inspiring to see a grandchild obviously fetched-up correctly. The most important thing any of us will do and the legacy we will leave.
    SD will always be a draw for me while I have family there - and those will eventually rest at Fort Rosecrans.
    Safe home, Vaya con Dios
    Boat Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am proud of my grandkids, overly so perhaps, but proud nonetheless.

      Delete
  2. Had a bit of dust floating around here after seeing that one photo of Isabelle Sarge. That last shot of DDG 1001 looks more like CGI than real life, real good CGI.......odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I looked at it for a while before I realized that it was a real photo.

      Delete
  3. Like Nylon, I found it dusty as well. Great picture of you, too, btw.

    One GOOD thing about knowing the change is coming, is you can relish the time. My last day at work was just a normal day. I miss my customers. The few times I've been back to visit, I'm much like you, visiting our Captain. It's hard to hold the emotion in when I shake hands or get a hug. At some point, we will go to work for the last time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something that strikes home with greater frequency these days, will this be the last time? One hopes not, but what can you do but drive on.

      Delete
    2. Ahhh, retired retirement is not all that bad. Retirement from the Air Force, even stationed in the Puzzle Palace was tougher. Retirement from the district? Not bad at all. Things were headed down hill and most of the folks I thought were good at their jobs are gone also. Many too young to retire, just changed careers. That ought to tell you something. Cause you know who replaced them. I'm very interested in the school board election coming up in a couple of weeks. Plan to attend the candidate forums and ask some Plain English questions. If I don't get answers in that format, no votee for you-ee.
      But, Sarge, I've got confidence, you'll find your stride and interests. If not, you live with someone who'll "Encourage" you to do so. Ask me how I know.
      Hang in there, Bro. Leaving the service, even as a Civilian is/was tough.

      Delete
    3. Walking off the pier today was bittersweet. I'm glad we're done, but I'm going to miss interacting with the crew and the other members of the contractor team. As always, I learned a lot, managed to show some folks things they didn't know.

      It's been real, but I'm ready.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the restaurant recommendation! I need to plan a date night in Little Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarge, I have shuffled around any number of times but the times I have been able to see a project through to its completion are rare indeed. Grateful that you are able to end on a happy and satisfying note.

    To Juvat's point: although not in retirement, none the less some places are easy to leave, some hard. It really does depend on the people.

    And Yes - LUSH and Big Time are doing a fine job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been blessed by having only hard places to leave.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.