Monday, May 8, 2023

Monday, Monday

First and Foremost, Happy Birthday, Sarge!

Well....It's Monday.  The start of another work week. Unless you're retired.  Then...

This past week was definitely "Spesh-Ull!", enough so as to warrant a musical salute.




Last Monday, I had my annual cardiologist appointment.  Didn't think too much about it, I mean, he's just going to listen to my heart.  I mean, it must be still working, I'm still alive aren't I?

Well...

Suffice it to say within a few moments, I'm scheduled for several follow up appointments.  One a stress test ASAP.  He also wants me to wear a heart monitor for the next two weeks.  Once those results are back, he wants to see me again.  The earliest I could get the stress test scheduled is the Tuesday after Memorial Day and even then I have to go to Marble Falls for it.  So...I've got that going for me.  

Why the hurry?  Well, apparently the AFib I was told I have at the last appointment with him a year ago is still around and may have gotten worse.  Oh...Goody!

So, suffice it to say I've been a bit distracted lately.

What have you been doing to distract you from those distractions, juvat?

Well...as I've mentioned before, Casa Juvat is about 5 miles SW of our local airport.  Being out in the country, there are few structures around.  This makes the area around me an excellent piece of airspace for flight training.  There's a low level route that uses a bridge over a highway as a waypoint.  That bridge is about 3 miles south of me.  A couple of evenings ago (sun was still up, but approaching the horizon) a couple of T-38's flew over our house.  Apparently they missed seeing the bridge.  That's unfortunate as it's a way point for a turn in the route.  Missing the turn meant they exited the designated low level airspace.  One should avoid flying over populated areas and airports.  Unfortunately the local airport is about 5 miles away from us, and their prior heading was pointed at it. That seems like a long way.  But at 420 (7 miles/min), you're going to overfly the airport in 43 seconds. 38 seconds if you're flying a more tactical speed of 480.  So, I'm sure the pilots got a stern talking to upon landing.  However, this pilot wannabe (again), thought it was cool.  He also was pretty jealous.

Another aspect of the distance to the airport was reported by Lt Fuzz last week.  In order for Civilians to participate in an Airshow, they have to practice the maneuvers they're going to perform on a regular and frequent schedule.  There are several T-6's in Civilian hands.  For whatever reason (I suspect airspace and sparse population on the ground), they come to our airport frequently to practice.

What's a T-6 you ask? Well...Both of the below as a matter of fact.

No, Beans, this not the one I'm discussing
Source

This one. Source

Now, I gotta say, it's pretty cool to have your own fly-over.  Unfortunately, this last one was (I think) basic formation school, so a lot of two ships and rejoins and not a real low altitude, so...Pictures were somewhat well....

Look immediately above the top wire.  It's a cell phone, not a telescopic high end camera!

Still, it is nice to sit out front of Casa Juvat, with an adult recreational beverage in hand, and critique the flying skills on demonstration.  

Yes, Beans, I'm quite jealous.

Update: The local news had a pretty good story and pictures about the training session. Oops forgot the link. Sorry.

So, juvat, to change the subject, didn't you have a formal activity to attend recently?

Why yes, Sarge.  The Rev's Sister got married, Black Tie affair.  MG also had a starring role.  She was one of her Aunt's flower girls.

Mother and Father of the Bride assisted her in her responsibilities.

The Rev conducted the ceremony.  I haven't witnessed him at work, so was interested in what he would say.  Suffice it to say, his Homily was awesome!!!


Since LJW and Miss G also attended, we sat at the back, just in case.  Miss G did wonderfully.

Speaking thereof, She's getting quite close to mastering "Sitting up".


On the health update side, she's discovered that the NG tube is relatively easy to pull out.  Unfortunately, she hasn't realized that pulling it out results in very shortly thereafter an unpleasant re-insertion.  Which is decidedly "Not Fun" with a howling, squirming, crying young child.  Her doctors have advised a "G Tube", basically it does the same function as the nasal tube except it's inserted into her belly.  We've been assured that it is more comfortable and more secure.  LJW and Little Juvat have decided to take that route.  It won't change any of the requirements for travel to Honk Honk, but should make life a bit easier for all involved.  

Breathing on her own is the obstacle for travel.  She is making quite a bit of progress in that arena.  She started out at 50% supplemental x 24 hours.  She's now down to 1/8 supplemental O2 for 6 hours then back up.  If she can get to that level for 24, she can get off supplemental and travel.  So...That's the goal.

On a different note, I got a call from MBD this week, asking if I had any skills in replacing flooring.  Seems their new house requires a bit of rehab. Mrs. J and I are going to visit next Monday and provide some help with projects.  Their floor being one of them. The Rev and her were taken aback at the estimate for removing and replacing the existing floor by professionals.  I've never done it, so was somewhat stumped for answers.  I then had a moment of divine intervention.  I asked her if she had any friends in the area she could talk to about that were involved with a similar project and maybe even offer to help to learn a bit about the process.  

A true moment of brilliance on my part.

She called back that evening and said that her friends told her that the vast portion of the cost was in materials, so she wouldn't be saving much money.  They also mentioned that it was hard work and required a bit of precision.  All of a sudden, the estimate didn't look so bad.

Thank you, Lord!  Although there will still be quite a bit of options requiring Ben-Gay after the fact.

I'm going to leave you now with a vision of Springtime in Texas.


 I just liked the picture.  The button opens the gate to our property.

Cheers, Y'all!


50 comments:

  1. From personal experience, make sure you are not deficient in magnesium as that will cause afib, it may not be your problem, but it is a cheap and easy fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon,
      The Doc didn't mention it that morning. However, I will specifically ask him on my next appointment in a couple of weeks. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Have him get you a full blood work-up panel including all the various chemical levels like magnesium, potassium, calcium and iron. All four affect the heart. Two of them can be used as the fatal shot in lethal injections (potassium and calcium) in overload amounts. But not having them in sufficient quantities can also do the same, just slower. Not to scare you but...

      Delete
    3. Beans,
      Thanks, just finished with my normal quarterly visit with my GP which also coincided with my annual physical. He did mention that Potassium was slightly high so we'll "keep an eye on it." Didn't mention any of the others so no news is good news?

      Delete
  2. T-6 you say juvat? Ain't that a Japanese Zero, at least according to Tora! Tora! Tora! :) Good to see the improvement in the little one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon,
      Well, you know, us Texans are pretty versatile, even with our airplanes.
      Thanks.

      Delete
    2. I only knew about the proper T-6s. Whaddya know...

      Delete
    3. Beans, yeah between Laughlin and Randolph the low level route gets a pretty high level of traffic. The T-6's use it as well as the -38s, they're just not as fun to watch. Too slow!

      Delete
    4. Well...technically while the top turboprop is a "T-6" the round-engine is an "AT-6" to which one graduated after mastering the BT-13.
      Boat Guy

      Delete
    5. BG, Interesting and I knew it was an AT-6. AT being Advanced Training. However since it was still being used in 1962 as a trainer, it was renamed the T-6 because the Advanced Stuff was beginning to be flown in the T-38. Took this site to straighten me out.

      Delete
    6. Interesting site and useful stuff! Since I'm in WWII mode, I'll continue to refer to it as an AT-6 or maybe just cheat and call it an SNJ
      BG

      Delete
    7. Looks like an SNJ, doesn't it?

      Delete
    8. STB, Well if it had been owned by the Navy it would be an SNJ.

      Delete
  3. So the Rev makes hominy. I never did like that stuff. Why would he bring it to a wedding. Unless they were throwing it instead of rice. But it's wet. And yuk. Man, I don't get that. It's a lot of work to make. Soaking, and the lime, and all... Weird..... OH... HOMILY..... never mind.

    As to the AF pathfinder squadron, maybe you should paint a big sign on your roof: Welcome to Mason! Just to give them a little jazz and triple check their TACAN and LORAN fixes.

    If I had a hose in my nose, I'd probably want it out mo ricky tick, too. And great news on the O2. The more she "works out", the better. Maybe a trip to Big Spring for an elevation change...

    My previous house had soft pine flooring... I thought seriously about pulling it up, laying down plytanium decking and turning the pulled wood over to maintain the original wood. In some places it had been sanded down to the tongue and groove. 100 year old houses are fun.

    When Miss G gets older, you may have to plant those cactus under her window. I considered that option for my teenangster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR,
      My aren't you in a rambunctious mood this morning! :-)
      I'm thinking more like a big arrow on the ground. Low Level Thataway!
      I just pray her numbers continue in the correct direction. Little J is coming home for R & R early July. It would be really nice, but probably not doable, if he could take both of them home and do that family thing. I don't know if Cacti grow in Honk Honk, but I'll suggest it to him.

      Delete
    2. Not a super big issue, we currently live on the 30th floor. 🤪😉

      Delete
    3. So the Reverend has true grit. Heh. I amuse myself some days.

      30th floor? Er, that's about (looking at fingers and toes....) 29 floors higher than I'd want to live. Yikes. Heights, Beans does not do heights, especially if he can feel the building sway. Blarf!

      Delete
    4. Beans,
      I'm glad you can entertain yourself. Takes a lot of burden off the rest of us.
      I'm not big on tall buildings either, for a lot of different reasons.

      Delete
  4. Juvat - Nothing but sympathy on the Afib. My physical visit last week, which I expected nothing from, ended up being a "Hey, pretty sure you need to change your diet. Do this and come see me again in four months".

    Genius move on the flooring. I suspect that most people have no actual ideal what material cost and think it is often a labor only cost (I suspect roofing may be like this as well).

    A good homily/sermon is hard to come by. Great job, Reverend!

    Good news on Miss B. Prayers continuing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THBB,
      Thanks. We'll see what happens next.
      I've noticed that prices on wood and things related have skyrocketed lately. Thanks, Joe!
      Prayers are always appreciated. Thanks

      Delete
  5. Hey Juvat, looks like you won't be seeing those T-38's too much longer. No, they aren't changing the low-level route, but they are slowly moving away from the almost 68 year old Talon...https://www.sheppard.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1962261/t-38-replacement-the-newest-red-tail-t-7a-red-hawk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuna,
      Interesting! Looks like a pretty cool jet, although I'm not sure what the visibility from the rear seat would be like during landings. Might have to run up to Sheppard this fall and see one.
      Thanks for the info!

      Delete
    2. Please stop talking about the fact that the Talon has been in service for so long. ;)
      I have had the AFIB thing all my life apparently. Docs always talk about it, then say, “See you in six months.” Hearteningly so.

      Delete
    3. Okay, Dave. How about... "They're replacing the Talon with the Red Hawk to save money." That doesn't mention the age of the poor -38s... I'll miss seeing them the rare occasion that NASA flies over my area, which is exceedingly rare these days. Though I used to see them at Patrick AFB all the time in my less-monied days.

      Delete
    4. D4,
      Well, My Dad and I both flew it. If Little J had joined the AF, so would he have. It sure was a fun airplane to fly, good cross country legs, decent turn capability, fairly stable at low altitude so good for bombing and strafing. I liked it and will feel some loss when it goes.

      Delete
    5. Beans,
      I would think the maintenance cost on a 50+year old airplane would make a newer jet more affordable. But...the purchase price of a new trainer will be sky high. I don't envy the guys at the puzzle palace that have to find ways to fund it. Rob Peter, John, Henry, Mark...to pay Paul. Hated that job with a passion.

      Delete
    6. Based on how quick we offloaded all our 155 fireworks, I'm wondering where the money REALLY went. I mean, if we are begging ROK for some...

      Delete
    7. Anon,
      Didn't know that. Doesn't surprise me though.

      Delete
  6. Juvat,
    Much experience with A-fib here. If your doc wants to do ablation to fix it look into cryo ablation. My cardiologist sent me to a doc that specializes in that procedure and I have been a-fib free since.
    Great news on Miss G, hope she gets to travel soon. Families belong together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flugelman,
      Thanks for the Info. I will definitely look into that and discuss with the Cardio Doc.
      Agreed on the last.

      Delete
  7. Flooring? Removal is easy. And scary as to what you'll find underneath. Not-so-fond memories of having the windows open as I bleached the slab with straight bleach in order to get the various fluids in said floor removed. Bleh.

    And, yes, the materials are the main cost. As to labor, the installers work at warp speed. Crazy to see how quickly carpet, tile or wood flooring goes in correctly. So what is being removed and what is hopefully being the replacement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beans,
      Basically a plasticized wood colored snap-in floor. Same as we have in our house. As to the first, yep, some secrets are better kept secret.

      Delete
  8. We only had one flyby during the Formation Flight weekend at T-82. Just as Juvat is close to a way point to the airport from the South, our house is a way point on approach from the northeast, which means we normally get a lot of traffic coming by when the wind is from the south. Since the wind for Formation Flying weekend was mainly a good northerly wind, we only had one flyby of 4. But I enjoyed the sound of the engines.
    Appears Miss G is beginning to exert herself in expressing her likes and dislikes. Definitely can't disagree with her dislike of the nose tube, but the reinsertion process has to be a "bear" for all involved.
    Sounds like your Cardio. is affiliated with the Heart Hospital in Austin. If so, Mrs. Cletus & I can attest, that is a great team of Dr's.!
    Cletus






    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cletus,
      We had a few flybys, but they were all going somewhere else, and most of the time by the time I heard them and went outside they weren't even the little dots I got in that one picture. And that's usually unusual for the refresher training. I thought you might get buzzed a bit when they're landing to the southeast. I come back from the post office using Upper Live Oak Rd. Regularly get surprised by jets coming from my six and not very high.
      Miss G definitely doesn't like the tube and is getting more adept at pulling it out. Hasn't put two and two together and figured out that the programmed response is re-inserting it. I think the better answer is the G-tube. Doctors all say it stays in way better and most babies don't even realize they have one. So...
      Re: Cardio. Yep. So far, no complaints. We'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

      Delete
    2. While our house was being built during 2014 we rented a garage apt. on Upper Live Oak which had a large elevated deck with an excellent view of the main runway at T 82. A day or so prior to the Formation Flying Clinic an SNJ-6 and what I think was a Yak 52 came in and made passes at low altitude down the runway. It was a sight to watch. They put on a show and had this old man's neck stiff by the time they called it a day.
      I'll send you a picture of what I think was the Yak 52 to check my identification.
      Cletus

      Cletus

      Delete
    3. Cletus,
      Please do, although I think your ID was correct. I've seen a Yak there a couple of times. Was the house you rented the blue one on the east side of the street before it bends around to the stop sign? I looked at Google earth today and that house is as close to the short final approach as I would think possible.

      Delete
    4. Wasn't the blue one. It was a garage apt. at 1512 Upper Live Oak which is appx. 0.7 miles back toward 290 from the blue house. On google earth color is white and at the time the elevated front porch/deck wasn't covered as it is now.
      Cletus

      Delete
    5. Cletus,
      Yeah I know which one you're talking about.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Yeah, it's been a busy couple of weeks. So much so that Mrs. J made reservations for a cruise next month for us. Nothing really special, just a sail from Galveston to Cozumel and Costa Maya and back. But...time away from the rat race. Who knew retirement would be this busy?
      ;-)

      Delete
  10. First off: Happy Birthday Sarge!!!

    Second: juvat: Re A-fib--if you, as a former Air Force pilot and computer dude, are still drinking caffeinated coffee, switch, like yesterday to decaf. Seriously!!! It will make a HUGE difference in how fast the heart is beating.
    I would add to avoid hot weather, but ya live in Texas, and also cold cold weather, but ya live in Texas, so it is what it is.
    And also avoid stress--but you have 2 beautiful grandbabies, one of whom keeps pulling out her NG tube, with a third on the way, so kinda tough to avoid stress. Yes, a G-tube is definitely the way to go. They can still pull them out, but, if all clothing is tucked in (shirts into waist bands for example) sorta slows down that process. They do have some nifty tube holders that can help slow down the pulling out process of g-tubes. Kinda hard to put one of those on a face to hold in the NG tubes unfortunately. Ugly looking things on a face.

    Flooring is easy, you just need the little flooring tool to help pop the pieces into place, a mallet, an accurate tape measure, a chop saw and the knee pads!! Don't forget the knee pads!!! And there is a kit for like 10 bucks with little plastic shims to help maintain proper space from the walls.
    Buy the flooring on sale from one of the warehouse places. Put it in the room you want to replace the floor in for like a week to let everything acclimate, then pull up the floor, put down the extra-thin barrier, and start putting the planks down. I've done those floors with like one other person 3x now. Takes about a solid day to pull off the old, pound down the nails, or pull them, then put down the barrier and then a solid day to put down the floor in like a 20x16 foot room, and then ya have to go back and put the trim back on. But pound all the nails/staples that are left in the floor from when you pulled up the old stuff so ya have a nice smooth surface. And if that room will have pets/babies/toddlers walking through it some day, bite the bullet and spend the few extra bucks and get the water-proof type. It will last longer. Ask me how I know! Or pay BIG bucks to have flooring guys come do it. Whichever is easier.
    The older I get, the easier it is getting to save up and just write someone a check.

    Suz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suz,
      Good info all round. Thanks. The Caffeine thing makes sense and I will endeavor to persevere. (I do drink a lot of caffeine.)
      We're still going to visit the kids Monday. I think they are in agreement with your last. There are a lot of things the CAN do that need doing, so best to just get the floor done and be done with it.
      Thanks again.

      Delete
    2. Sarge, Did you blow out all the candles, or did the Fire Department get called. Beans wants to know.

      Delete
  11. I am glad your graddaughter is making progress! HUZZAH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks StB. Like most things in life, the speed of progress is never enough, That having been said, we are grateful that she is progressing.

      Delete
  12. Yep, we are becoming 'men of a certain age'... Glad the doc caught the Afib issues. Get that taken care of stat! And sometimes it is just worth paying the man on flooring. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      Yeah, I was a cocky young fighter pilot when I walked in to that appointment. Aged quite a bit over the next hour or so. As I mentioned in a previous comment, there are a lot of things that we can do that don't require new skills, so pay the man is probably the correct course of action.
      Thanks

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.