Monday, June 19, 2023

Vacaciones en crucero

 One of the biggest moments in a fighter pilot's career (after graduating pilot training and getting qualified in his first fighter) is receiving his "tactical call sign".  Now, mere mortals would refer to this as a "nickname".  But any mere mortal can have a nickname.  Only "We Few, we proud Few, We Band of Brothers * " (brothers being an asexual descriptor now) can have a tactical call sign.  The naming committee, also sometimes referred to as a fighter squadron, will meet at a very secret location at a specified time for discussion of suitable call signs.  This secret location is generally referred to in code as "The Bar at the O'Club".  And a call sign is lifelong.  Unless said individual performs some action of aerial intrepidity or stupidity (generally the latter) that a new call sign is called for.

I received a new call sign this past Tuesday.  I had made the trip to College Station with my prototype arch to talk through the process with MBD.    In truth, the arches were just an excuse to make the trip and visit with MBD, The Rev and MG.  MG is rapidly approaching 2, is walking/running and starting to talk.  In short, she's a blast to play with.  Got a good sense of humor also, no idea where that came from. 

In any case, I got there while she was taking her afternoon nap.  MBD brought her downstairs when she woke up.  She saw me and came running.  As she was approaching, I heard her saying "Papa, Papa".  Now, The Rev is "Dada", so evidently my new Tactical Call Sign is

Papa!

You mere mortals may still refer to me as juvat, however.  The above call sign is reserved for angels. Papa was my paternal Grand Father's nickname.  Hope to live up to his example.

So, juvat, how is the arch project going?

The prototype fit perfectly.  Which is probably, almost certainly, the first time that's happened in my life.  But...  It's a good thing I went.  My vision of what the plan was and MBD's version were significantly different.  I thought existing molding would remain and the arches would be mounted behind it.  Her version, the only one that matters, had all surfaces to be on the same plane.  

So, spent a bit of time measuring and pondering.  


The new plan will take a bit more lumber and a bit more Spackle, but is doable, provided my note taking was accurate.

But the nice thing about phones with cameras, is it's easier to remember widths/lengths.  And remembering with my non-digital cranial memory device is difficult these days.


 

However, as with most changes, completion date has slipped until after we return.  If all goes as planned (Yeah, right!  I know.) we should have sailed at 1400 yesterday afternoon and are somewhere in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico as you read this.  I may even be having a medicinal Mojito right about now.  

MG of course , will be having something to sip on also.  


Comment responses may be delayed, but I have planned for them.  We'll see how that plan pans out.

¡Hasta luego, mis amigos y muchas margaritas! 

* And just because the source of that phrase raises my spirits.

This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

William Shakespeare "King Henry V"
 

Got a lot of wingmen on this blog that fit that description. God Bless y'all!

30 comments:

  1. Ah, two years old and increasingly mobile and not to mention more talky. Have fun on the water and watch the application of liquid medicines while out there juvat......... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon,
      Testing, testing, one, two!
      How do you read?
      Fun on the water…Aye
      Liquid medicine application. In compliance with Chief Medicine Wife’s acceptable level.
      Man, do I have white legs!!!!!

      Delete
  2. I took my three year old Great Niece fishing a few weeks ago. When I went to their place yesterday for a party (combination 5th Anniversary / Father's Day) she sees me and runs to grab her pole. I think I created a monster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim,
      And I doubt the highlight of the day is catching fish! Although it might make it slightly better.

      Delete
  3. Great job on the curve. And the new call sign. Papa Juvat. Sounds like a good one.
    Documenting with the phone? Oh yeah! I like the zoom function.

    I always tell people that comment on my legs, that if God had wanted me naked, I'd have been born that way. I'm pretty sure I was born wearing boots, jeans and a pearl button cowboy shirt. Poor mom....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR,
      While not completely my daily uniform, I am familiar with most of it. T-Shirts, with something pithy or witty on it, are my go to shirts. When they wea out, they become workshop rags. Helping Mother Giaia doncha know
      juvat

      Delete
  4. "The prototype fit perfectly. "
    I read that and thought, "You poor fool! It's a TRAP! Draws you in with a false sense of security, then Wham!"

    Sure enough, the project had agleyed gan aft. (hmmm....rearranging it makes the Scots English sound Yiddish)

    Congratulations on the new call sign. Now you need a ball cap with it emblazoned on it, in gold thread. With Acanthus Leaves. Maybe outline the initial P in crimson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe,
      Yeah, that’ the usual chain of events in my life. In fact, the first attempt at the uprights require a redo. Fortunately the current width is a little more than twice what’s needed, so not a total waste. Off cuts going into the storage bin for a smaller future project. Win/in!

      Delete
  5. "The new plan will take a bit more lumber and a bit more Spackle,..."

    Putty is my Buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon,
      Many an error is rescued by spackle!
      ;-)
      juvat

      Delete
    2. Something happened on my log in this was blackeagle 603 posting

      Delete
    3. Blackeagle 603
      Doncha just LOVE blogger?
      /sarc
      juvat

      Delete
  6. Well done, "Papa Juvat". Yes loving spouse's plans in her mind never quite make it to my drawing board. I've decided that her Visions have priority over her vision and it's my job to cope with that. (Had some theatrical and musical directors with the same problem.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HTom,
      Loved the distinction between Vision and vision. So very much more nuance in that capital letter

      Delete
  7. Juvat, on behalf of us mere mortals, we appreciate you allowing us to continue to address you in the singular ("Juvat", as opposed to "your Juvatness"...)

    I have also learned that the phone camera is my best friend. My ability to remember things, at least "accurately", seems to be hampered. I have no idea why.

    I hope the Gulf of Mexico is immune from the heat that seems to be smothering the Southern US now, or at least you have good air conditioning and lovely cold drinks at hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THBB,
      Yeah the last two days before we left we had AC issues on all three other dwellings. One compressor (AKA $7k to replace), one drain pipe blocked (stupid bugs) resulting in flooding in one guest house, and one switch error resulting in a warn
      Mer than desired dwelling. Good darn thing we purchased the unlimited data plan.
      That having been said the 15-20K wind on board has been quite nice ( as have the margaritas).
      juvat

      Delete
  8. Enjoy the vacation, you've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, Juvat is learning the joys of the life of a sailor. A gentle breeze, a slight motion in the deck, a cooling drink in hand.

    Of course, that's for the passengers. The crew is busy keeping the screws turning, the lights burning, and fresh water extracted from seawater, and the plumbing working, along with chow and drinks. Oh, and doing that navigation stuff, and keeping prepared for bad weather, high seas and heavy rolls.
    John Blackshoe (crew, never a passenger)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, one of the things we’ve learned about cruising over the past 40 years or so, is to learn how to say “Thank You” in their native tongue. It’s worth the effort just to see their eyes light up and their smile. We’re aware they work hard and long to make the cruise enjoyable. Don’t get to interact with many of the ship’s crew (vs the hospitality crew),but we try the same technique with them also. Even bigger smiles.

      Delete
  10. I have used the camera function to shop, in order to compare prices online vs prices in store. Using it to capture measurements sounds good.

    Enjoy the view and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beans, good idea to help remember specs and prices at the stores, thanks!

      Delete
  11. White leg syndrome--ya have 3 options to remedy the situation: wear pants, except they are hot, and you are hanging out in the Gulf, on board a ship...you can stay inside while the sun is up--close to the bar---could be good or bad, depending...or you can apply and liberally and frequently re-apply sun tan lotion, probably SPF 30 or higher--your chances of resembling the lobster served at supper are decreased, and your legs wont hurt so much from being bright red. Do be aware of where the sun is, and do use the magical liquid called sun tan lotion cause having to sit in a ice water bath to kill the 2nd and 3rd degree burn on your formally very pasty white legs is not any fun at all...just trust me on this one, mmmkay?
    I think I peeled for a month after spending one day at the lake with my best friend and her family--we slathered the kids, but I forgot about me, and I was definitely NOT pasty white by the time I got home. Wound up having to take 2 days off of work cause I couldn't get pants or a bra on it hurt so. Aloe was my friend that week. Lessons learned: buy a swimsuit that matches the bra strap line, and use sun tan lotion!

    Little kids and beginning talking: they are a blast. Plus you begin to realize not only how intelligent they are, and how fun their personalities are, but also how very good their hearing is...as well as their recording apparatus is since it is guaranteed that they will blurt out something at the worst possible time and ya'll will just want to do a face palm. Enjoy!!

    Suz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suz, i’m a member of the long pants club due to a youthful failed campfire dare. Can’t take the risk. As to sunscreen, apparently this area’s coral reefs are being affected by too much of it in the water. The cruise line recommended sun protecting light weight long sleeve shirts if going in the water. Mrs J purchased , but we haven’t tried them yet. We’ll see.
      juvat

      Delete
  12. LOL, congrats on the 'new' callsign!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No aerial intrepidity or stupidity for that callsign- kind of an immaculate designation! haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. And I love it. Immaculate designation! Love that also.
      juvat

      Delete
  14. Juvat, love the new call sign! And I'm jealous of your cruising vacation! Please take a few pictures of the ship for those of us who are at home!
    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, trust me on the pictures thing! Been an “interesting” week.
      Thanks, juvat.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.