Monday, January 29, 2024

Reminiscing

 All y'all campers will be happy to know that the weather the past week is decidedly better than the week prior.  The sky was generally clear, the wind had died down (gusts to 40mph is exciting for the horses) and the temps were much more moderate, right around freezing for the low and we even had a 70+ degree day.  Whoop! 

Single digit temperatures and juvat just don't get along.  While in Kunsan ROK, I learned the saying that "you can always add more clothing when it's cold, but, at some point, you have to stop taking off clothing when it's hot". But I still prefer Texas' Summers to Winters.


 Especially, the sunsets. 

We had our usual dinner with LJW and Miss B last Wednesday and Mrs. J noticed something interesting.  Miss B is starting to look a bit like her Daddy.  You be the judge.

Her Dad.


Yeah, I know, but that's a picture of a 40 year old picture.  Sue me!

Came across another interesting picture which I hadn't remembered.


Little J (VERY little) and I were having a nap after a long 14 sortie week and squeezing squadron scheduling in where I could.  Mrs J's been holding this over my head for 40 years or so.  Haven't had a nap since.

As can be seen from this photo of my Grandson and I.  Only one of us is sleeping.

But the flying schedule wasn't always nose to the grindstone and such, occasionally there was some fun involved.


The picture was taken by my wife and that's me in the jet.  We're deploying somewhere as there's a baggage pod on the left inboard pylon.  I suspect we were on a deployment to Red Flag.  We were part of the Rapid Deployment Force that Mr. Reagan had had developed to handle things in the Mid-East.  Suffice it to say we spent a lot of time at Red Flag getting as much pseudo-combat training as possible.  It might also have been the first stage of our deployment from Moody AFB in GA to Kwang-Ju AB ROK  Three hops,   Moody to Hickam HI, a one day rest from a 14 hour strapped in flight.  Then Hickam to Kadena Japan, an 18 hour flight, then a 1.5 hour flight to Kwangju.  

Yes, Beans, my lower posterior anatomy was quite sore after that.

Next assignment was Holloman AFB where I taught new pilot training graduates how to be a fighter pilot, and Little J was born (and his first picture was taken above).  Good assignment, lots of flying, flew with a lot of actually Great Fighter Pilots (as opposed to those that only thought they were great).  Ed Rasimus was my instructor there while I went through the IP training course.  One of my heroes.

Another was Col Jim Cox, AKA "Vegas".  I have a fond place in my heart for this man, although he isn't with us any more.  I was his IP for conversion to the AT-38.  Suffice it to say that I learned more from him than he did from me.  Story Here (I was pretty sure I'd also run a follow up, but can't find it in the vault. Change 1: Found it)

In any case, when time came up for reassignment, my assignment officer told me that because I was married to an Air Force Officer, in order to have an assignment with her I'd have to go back to flying the F-4.  I was disappointed, but, I did want to be assigned with my wife.  Vegas came walking in to my office later that day and asked what jet I got.  I told him.  He said, and I quote, "Captain, get out of your desk, I have a phone call to make."  I started to leave, but he told me to stay.  He dialed and when answered, he said "Dave, Vegas here.  Do you still subscribe to the policy that pilots here that graduate in the top half of their group, get the new jets?  Even if they're married to another military officer?  You do?  Then why the **** (he actually used the "F" word, I was impressed), is my #1 officer getting an F-4.  I've got a retainment problem and this isn't going to help.  I want him in an Eagle now!" and slams down the phone.  

I'd have stayed in regardless at that point.  There were still Leaders in the Air Force not pencil pushers.

An hour later, he calls me into his office.  "Juvat, you've been assigned to 18TFW at Kadena in the Eagle with your wife!"

Vegas in South East Asia.  Those are actual bombs on the jet, meant to be dropped in anger.   Source

I would have followed him through the fires of hell after that.

Got there after Eagle conversion and eventually made it to Assistant Operations Officer (third ranking person in the squadron command).  That gave me some leeway in taking on some of the fun missions.  Because I'd flown F-4's and AT-38's, both two seat jets,  I was given an F-15D (a two seat model).  

Couldn't have cared less.  I was flying Eagles and one of them had my name on the canopy rail.  One of the strangest missions I flew was a public relations ride.  An AF photographer from Randolph AFB, San Antonio was sent to visit us and take pictures of the F-15 in Action.  The sergeant had said he'd received approval for the mission from the Air Force Recruiting Command's commanding general.

He asked us to do some formation work and so on.  I would be responsible for getting him into position for the shot.  Sounded like fun.

"You all ready to go?"

Little did I know.

Both this and the following pictures were taken by the Sergeant on the ride.

I mean, what could be wrong with that?

Well...

The letter below the picture is from the photographer saying that our Assistant Director of Operations politely asked the sergeant not to use the above photo.  I think I've got the only copy.

But, it was fun!


This picture might have had something to do with it.  The two aircraft photos are of my Dad flying the F-86 in the slot.  (The guy directly behind the lead aircraft.)  That would be San Francisco and the Golden Gate they're flying over.  A happier, more Military Friendly time.  

Both sets of pictures are directly in front of my desk.  I look at them frequently and dream of what once was.

Peace out y'all.



30 comments:

  1. Like Father like Daughter, genetics does seem to be a thing. Man, 14 hours then 18 hours sitting without respite, those were two long flights juvat. Why no use that photo? Keep aircraft capabilities secret? Nosy minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon,
      Well there was a 12 hour layover in Hawaii between the first two legs. Just about enough time to take care of bodily functions, eat and sleep. The 18 hour leg was longer than it could have been, except we needed to always be within range of a divert base in case something went wrong with taking gas. My back seater got quite a bit of stick time on that leg and I snuck in a couple of cat naps. But, man, the Pacific is big and there isn't a lot out there.
      Formation loops were strongly discouraged back in the day. I think there was a miscommunication between the photographer who probably said, "General So and So approved the profile" without mentioning the loop to the ADO and then telling me that the ADO had approved the profile. Thankfully, the latter was a good guy and admitted he hadn't looked into it too closely. That having been said, when I showed that picture to my Dad, he liked it...a lot.
      juvat

      Delete
    2. Even though the Air Force was futzing with breaking records with the F-15 Streak Eagle (a modified, slimmed down, no extras added version specifically made to break records) the AF was kinda still wanting to stop people knowing about silly things like how fast the F-15 could maneuver or climb, even though there were lots of photos and visual evidence (and the aforementioned Streak Eagle) around showing exactly how much power and how maneuverable and climbable the F-15 was.

      In other words, bureaucracy.

      Glad you had fun.

      Delete
    3. Beans,
      Yeah, and remember I came within a couple of miles of qualifying for astronaut wings in a screwed up intercept. Not that they would have given them to me, but...
      juvat

      Delete
  2. I like the Day of the Week clock....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob,
      Yeah, I need to replace the battery though. Right now it's in the day of the millennia mode.
      juvat

      Delete
  3. I'm always impressed with men that follow their fathers into "the business". My dad made me swear not to. And he undoubtedly saved me a load of problems. But that thought floats up and I wonder if I'd have made as good an officer as he did.

    You're a good, honorable man, Juvat. I'm proud my little tax "contributions" back then bought a bit of velcro for your flight suit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR,
      I'm not sure I was as good an officer as my Dad, but I do know that I was a good of one as I could be. I think that's all either of them would have asked of us.
      It was my pleasure and thank you for your, and millions others like you, support.
      juvat

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Sarge,
      Yeah me too. For a couple of reasons, not the least of which are the kids, but also to remind me that at one point in my life, I actually had hair on top of my head.
      juvat

      Delete
  5. Great pictures!!

    Being familiar with babies of that young age, I'm guessing that young LJ might have been handed off to Dad for some "quality time", especially if you had had a very busy work week. Nothing wrong with sleeping on that particular "job" since as soon as the baby wakes up, you will be aware right away. Besides, new parents are always told sleep when the baby does, so you were just following orders.

    On the kids looking like their parents note--at my Uncle's funeral this past Friday, I was looking at the 5 kids (all adults now ranging from 69-61), at the 20 grandkids, and at the couple of great-grands who were there, and it is amazing how certain features do seem to endure down the generations. I mentioned it to my Dad, who is now the last one of his generation. He was the one who told my Aunt, his baby sister, to marry the suitor who became my Uncle. Sixty-eight years later, it was proven to be a very good piece of advice.

    Suz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suz,
      Thanks, Yep, Parenting and Flying Fighters take a lot of ooomph out of a person. Napping is good therapy for both as well as helping with some bonding and family building. Little J and his Sister are quite tight with Mrs J and I. They made pretty darn good choices on their spouses also and their offspring, while quite young, seem to be turning out well also. I'm glad that your family has the same sheet of music going there.
      Cheers,
      juvat

      Delete
  6. To the person who contacted me about a post you had liked from a while ago, unfortunately I was cleaning out my iPhone and accidentally deleted that text. In any case, Thank you you gave me an idea for today's post which has been edited to include a link to the post you were interested in. The link is in the paragraph in the middle of the post where I introduce Col Cox, AKA Vegas. Enjoy.
    juvat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kids looking like parents-My Dad and I were visiting his Dad/my Grandfather in the hospital in S.E. Texas one evening. We got on the elevator with one of the nurse's aides, who kept looking at one of us, then the other. Right before we got off the elevator she asked in we were twins. Really hard to get into the truck to go home when the elder of us had the "Big Head" from her compliment.
    Cletus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...she asked "if" we were twins"?"
      Cletus

      Delete
    2. Cletus,
      Now THAT's funny, I don't care who you are!
      juvat

      Delete
  8. I'm pretty sure that I've seen that "second" picture in a few books and other places on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim,
      Seriously? The sergeant must have retired from the AF and the statute of limitations ran out. Now, I'm saddened. I thought it was the only copy. But, that was the exact view from my jet only about 10 feet forward (above in that phase of the maneuver).
      juvat

      Delete
    2. It's still an 'original' so...

      Delete
    3. Beans,
      There is that.
      juvat

      Delete
  9. Love that sunset photo, although it could be sunrise I suppose. Our careers had some similar events, and you've inspired a post in me. Love the miracle of genetics. At different times in my children's lives they looked like both of us at different times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuna,
      The pic was taken from our back porch which faces west. We do get some fantastic sunsets although, being Texas and a west facing patio, it does get hot. Unfortunately, the layout of the property kinda forced that orientation. Didn't want north, too cold in the winter. South faces the barn. East would mean guests would have to come around to the west side to enter. So...
      Yeah, I hadn't remembered that picture of Little J until Mrs J showed me those two photos side by side.
      Looking forward to your version.
      juvat

      Delete
  10. "I look at them frequently and dream of what once was." Oh yeah!
    Fuzz D4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuzz,
      I figured you'd understand that. Thanks!
      juvat

      Delete
  11. Lookin' at the photo with your grandson piqued my curiosity.
    Do you get any grief from anyone who's important to you about your eyebrows?
    inquiring minds...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skip,
      My Barber usually takes care of that when I see her for a haircut, and since I sleep with her every night, if she has a gripe about them, well..."Take care of it, Honey".
      juvat

      Delete
    2. Sarge, I could let them grow and just comb them back over the top of my head. Other than that, I really don't give a you know what. Bushy eyebrows run in the family, as does Male Pattern Baldness. Or as it is known, "The Lord only created a certain amount of perfect heads...The rest he covered with hair."
      juvat

      Delete
  12. Yep, sometimes the good folks step up and 'things' happen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      Vegas was solidly in the Great category. Two tours in SEA, one in the Thud, one in the Phantom. I could generally hold my own in Air to Air at that point, but not against him, even though he was coming of a 3 year staff tour at Ft Fumble. The man knew how to fly and fight. Debriefings were pretty easy, rather than me conducting them about the good/bad/ugly. He took care of it and pointed out little mistakes he'd made that I didn't even notice. As I said, I learned a lot about flying fighters and leadership from him. When I did get to Kadena and came back to the states on an R&R, I contacted him and told him what was going on there and told him thanks.
      That was the last time I got to speak to him. He retired shortly there after and passed away in 2017.
      Definitely one of my Heroes!
      juvat

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.