Friday, July 31, 2015

What's Behind Door Number 2?


Okay, the picture of the door is rather melodramatic given the fact that I am about to have surgery to repair something. Let's leave it at that, no need for gory details.

So I am approaching this event with a certain amount of trepidation. Probably because of the number of folks who want to tell me all about their experience with surgery. Then there are the medical professionals who like sharing their esoteric knowledge of the human body and the various treatments, procedures, tests and what-have-you that the medical professionals can perform on that human body.

Interesting perhaps from an educational viewpoint. Not so much when one is to be the subject of said things.

I did chat with a buddy of mine who underwent this procedure a while ago. The surgeon who did his procedure was the same surgeon who removed my gall bladder. Small world neh?

He told me two things and showed me another thing.
  1. The surgery should be no sweat, it's rare to experience problems.
  2. He had 8 weeks off to recover. That's what the insurance people gave him.
  3. He showed me his scar.
Okay, thing three I could have done without. His lower belly on the left side looks like he took an anti-tank round. A rather large divot.Yeah, I could have gone through the rest of my life without seeing that. But it is what it is.

I did like the 8 weeks off thing. Though I'm sure now the insurance folks will just give me a leather strap to bite on and hustle me back to work ASAP.

Oh well. Let's talk about time travel.

Huh?

An odd thing about the way I blog is that I sometimes get wrapped around the axle as to which tense to use in my writing.

For instance, as I type this, it is a Thursday afternoon. The post won't be published until Friday morning. Many of you will read this sometime on Friday.

My surgery is on Friday. After this post is published, I am writing this from the perspective of Thursday.

Confused yet? I know I am.

Anyhoo.

By the time some of you read this post I will (hopefully) be out of surgery and well on the road to recovery. Some of you will no doubt read this while I'm under the knife. Or perhaps before I even get to the hospital.

At any rate, from my perspective, the surgery is tomorrow, from your's it's either today, or maybe yesterday or who knows when...

I have received many a kind word, pleasant thought and heartfelt prayer from a number of you, My Loyal Readers. I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciate that.

Seriously.

Not to worry about what the weekend will hold, Juvat has three excellent posts scheduled for your entertainment, elucidation and enlightenment. History is involved, as it usually is around these parts. I've already sneaked a peek at what's in the queue and can't wait for you to be able to read them as well.

But wait you must.

Tuna may pop in with trivia, or a rant or some serious political commentary. Who knows, he comes and goes like the wind. I like the surprise factor.

As for me I am at this moment prepping for surgery. You don't want to know about it, I don't want to write about it. Suffice to say, anyone who has ever had a colonoscopy will be familiar with the process. The only difference is the need for me to swallow eight giant pills at 1900, then again at 2300.

Of course, for you, that's all water under the bridge. I haven't done it yet. But I will.

Oh boy.

See you all on the other side of door number 2. Whatever that might mean.

14 comments:

  1. Colonoscopy (routine, I trust) Monday. Prep starts tomorrow. Door#2 has an extra meaning here..... I know, I never grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for not going into detail. Suffice it to say when you read this comment all will be well, so I will just wish you a speedy recovery and I hope they give you many weeks off to do so.

    Years ago in the summer, I had a lamenectomy operation in my neck. I was perfectly fine but told it would be unsafe to travel to work so I spent 6 weeks lounging around our club pool. I still think of it when I watch a certain Seinfeld episode and refer to it as "The summer of Joe."

    ReplyDelete
  3. See... Joe enjoyed his experience so much he posted twice.

    Pills?
    When did they come up with pills for that?
    My experience ...and that of others has been drinking a gallon of a really vile liquid over about a two hour timespan for the same result, which may be equally as unpleasant (YMMV).

    Anywho... I hope to hear of success sooner, rather than later, as I will be out of touch by sometime Tuesday for about ten days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear that you don't think so highly of "Fleet Week" up there in Little Rhoddy. But as I read this here in Northern Virginia on a hot and muggy Friday morning my thoughts are with you. I am reminded of the fact that when I was young, and thought myself to be bullet proof, I dated a young lady whose parents were, I thought, two old fuddyduds. On the chaise on their patio was an embroidered pillow that said "Old age ain't for sissies." I thought that was about the dumbest thing I had ever seen. Ahh, how much one's perspective changes with the passing years! I hope everything went smoothly and you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone who just had a bit of "fun" with doctors and knives, here's wishing you the best for your procedure and a quick and painless recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is wishing you clear skies and "tailwinds" appropriate? Hey what can I say? I, like Captain Steve, have a date in about three weeks for a plumbing check. By this time you should be back in thru door #2 and resting comfortably.

    ReplyDelete
  7. May all go well, and may you be back home & resting comfortably before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best wishes for you, my friend. And just remember: If you leave the hospital with the same number of legs as you went in with, it's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm about a week behind you Sarge. I like an element of Dave's post, "Old age ain't for sissies." -Lord if that isn't the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meaningless mini-trivia.

    "Chicks dig scars."

    "Can't ya just cut it out, Doc?"

    Thinkin' 'bout ya'll.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a good New Englander, I'm sure you will not be slacking off during your recovery process. You know, 'idle hands are the devil's playground'.....so.....anyway my hope is you get time to research your book, I am awaiting its arrival!. Oh, and if you need any other suggestions on how to stay productive I'll be glad to offer up some ideas, haha.
    I'm praying all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm late into the game but am glad to learn from a later post that things are going pretty well. Keep smiling, but don't laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks to everyone for the prayers, good thoughts, positive vibes and humorous quips.

    Things came out pretty well.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.