Sunday, April 16, 2023

Nichts Neues¹

Control Room, USS Dolphin (AGSS-555)
Sandy Eggo, January 2016
OAFS Photo
Well, Saturday was the day I chose to do my taxes, both Federal and State. So yeah, fun times.

It wasn't too bad, yes, I had to send money to Uncle Sam, but that just means that I get to use my money during the year. I remember the days of looking forward to a return, until the day I said, "Hey, wait a minute, that's my money, I think I'll keep as much as I can."

So I had less taken out, just enough to abide by the ever changing rules. Now I don't wait for a refund, Uncle Sam gets to wait on the check. (Though in truth it's all done online, he gets his dough immediately.)


I was going to write this post yesterday, then inspiration hit so I worked on advancing the story of Les Cent Jours, which if you've been reading the labels (down there, near the bottom of the post), you'll note is the label (and probable overall title) for this current batch of fiction.

The Hundred Days, which is roughly the amount of time which passed from Napoléon landing on the Riviera to his having lost his throw of the dice. Give or take a week or two and depending on who you listen to as to the criteria used to block off this period in time.

It seemed like a very limited and well-defined (not to mention documented) period of history within which I could have a few fictional characters and a cuppla real people. I didn't do that in Almost a Lifetime but I'm doing it here. Couldn't resist the urge to put my words in the Emperor's mouth. I do try to keep it close to what might plausibly have been said by these famous personages.


I've got a John Blackshoe post in reserve but it won't see the light of day just yet, for various and sundry reasons known only to myself. It's a fine post, but it's kinda sad and I've had my fill of sadness for the moment.

In case you're wondering, yes, the house feels bloody empty without a feline presence. I hear a bump and it sounds just like a cat jumping down off of something. I hear them meowing too at times. The furry kids are missed. A lot.

Not sure if we'll do it again, I've heard The Missus Herself go from a straight up "No" in one conversation some days ago, to a qualified, "I don't know, we need to think about it."

But for sure not until next month, we have some traveling on tap and don't wish to leave new kitties behind while we do that. It was hard enough doing it with the established felines. They did not appreciate not having their full time human staff at their beck and call.

Can't say I blame them.

Speaking of travel, a possible work trip to Sandy Eggo might be happening in July. I'd like to get out there one last time for the ship I've been working for and on. Retirement looms, but with this new four-day schedule, I just might push that out to the right a bit more.

The money is good and medical benefits beat the you-know-what out of whatever Medicare and the like provide. So for now, I'm thinking about it. (Staying on longer that is ...)

Anyhoo, we'll get back to the war, or more properly the preparations for war, on Tuesday, unless something comes up, one never knows.

So, as juvat is wont to say, "Peace out."

Talk at you soon.

Ciao!




¹ Nothing new

44 comments:

  1. Maybe look into an older rescue cat or two. There are a lot of pets being given up with the current economic situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would endorse a Norwegian Forest Rescue Cat!

      Delete
    2. Anon - Depends on circumstance, often we've had our cats choose us, not the other way around.

      Delete
    3. StB,
      Thank! I was running on empty for a posting topic for the morrow! Thanks for suggestion.

      Delete
    4. I understand you hearing the phantom sounds of a cat. Just spending a weekend away from Kitten and half asleep at night, I imagine I can feel her cuddling next to me.

      Delete
  2. Probably a good idea to settle down afore another kitty comes to live with you Sarge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was an STS2/SS on her for almost 3yrs in the mid/late 70's. Shat a treat it was! We did so many cool ops with various scientists exploring new concepts in sonars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW. Yer looking to STBD and blocking the view of the Helm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe I was scoping out the hotels down that way.

      Delete
  5. In the FWIW department... Medicare happens when you hit 65 unless you take steps to put it off, it's automatic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't know anything about that so I'll take your word for it. I don't plan on relying on it just yet.

      Delete
    2. What I'm saying is that is just happens if you don't take steps to prevent it, they don't ask about what you plan. The first I knew about it was when I read that I was taken off Tricare Prime... I was turning 65 that month and these things just happened. Automatically.
      For all I know they would have billed me for Medicare if I wasn't already on Social Security (they just withheld the money from my SS).

      Delete
    3. Oh ya, my military ID expired too, the medical coverage had (automatically) changed.

      Delete
    4. Ah, you see, I knew Tricare Prime expired when I hit 65, as did my mil ID. At 65 I got one which is good for the rest of my days. As for Medicare, Uncle Sam can do as he pleases, I still have my coverage from work.

      Delete
    5. There's also Tricare for Life (which requires payment) which I'll do when I need to.

      Delete
    6. Tricare For Life doesn't cost me. I still have Tricare Prime for my wife & the (reduced) payment for that.

      Delete
    7. I may have been misinformed on Tricare for Life. Guess I need to take that more seriously then!

      Delete
    8. I did postpone getting Medicare because I was waiting until retiring at 66 and still had full company coverage up to then. There is a way to do it without penalty (but I can't remember just how it works). Time for a chat with your friendly soc sec office.

      Delete
    9. I'm going to be 70 next month. Not sure what I'll do next year.

      Delete
  6. Just one point on the medical that may easy your mind. MiLady and I have had nothing but the best medical treatment with Medicare and Tricare for Life. Top MDs, facilities, hospitals, with little to very short wait time for appointments on many different issues. Only dental and vison are not covered with just those two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has more to do with my job being interesting than a fear of Medicare. Again, it depends on where you live as well. I've heard horror stories, but hey, so has everyone.

      Delete
  7. +1 on the Medicare and Tricare for Life. No significant issues with it and we do not use the military medical facilities; easier to use civilian providers. For dental, we went with a "concierge" plan; monthly payments with regular checkups/cleanings covered by the payments and discounts if any complicated work (e.g. crowns) needs to be performed.
    We also did not want another cat and then...next door neighbor called and asked if we could help her find a home for the kitten she had picked up a day previous. She said her dog kept trying to get to and kill the kitten. We walked over to take a look and the dog really was going nuts. Neighbor lady handed my wife this tiny bundle of fur. My wife held the so very tiny kitten in her hand, raised it to her neck, and the darn kitten started to purr. And the rest was history...
    -Barry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet it was over the moment that kitten was in your wife's hand....

      Delete
    2. I'll chime in on the Medicare and Tricare for Life stuff as well. I was NOT happy to be "informed" of the change; (fait accompli) but it has worked fairly well. I have had several surgeries, mostly service-connected and all have been paid promptly and easily. We do not use military medical, never have except overseas.
      As our dogs age, we are bracing ourselves for "that time"; at least we tell ourselves we're preparing.
      Boat Guy

      Delete
    3. Barry - Things worked the way they were supposed to, as regards the wee feline. While I continue to work I will have excellent coverage. No need to change that any time soon.

      Delete
    4. BG - There's being ready, then there is reality. The two seldom match up.

      Delete
    5. I became disenamored with Tricare due to my various specialty care visits- all which charged me a larger co-pay to be seen, to be biopsied, to be treated, and to have stitches removed. Kinda BS, but I guess that's how they get some money out of tricare which pays them less than other carriers. The Navy hospital would trat me in one visit, but they stopped taking retired derm patients. Now I'm using the VA would has been great, one stop shop for all my care.

      Delete
  8. Crusty Old TV Tech here. That picture reminds me, we need to get down to Galveston sometime to see the renovated USS Cavalla, and the USS Stewart again. Haven't been there in eons. Amazing sub, that Dolphin, from its Wikipedia entry. Engine room must have been a rock concert with 2 Screaming Jimmy 12V71's in there!

    Doing our taxes today, as a matter of fact. Might make me cuss less doing it on a Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My experience with the taxes wasn't too bad. I fully understand why some folks use a professional for that stuff, especially if they have a business or anything outside the ordinary.

      Can you tell the instructions were made up by a lawyer?

      Delete
    2. Crusty Old TV Tech again. Yeah, Shakespeare was right about lawyers. I think it's a conflict of interest to have lawyers making laws in Congress that benefit their guild, and lawyers interpreting their laws in the courts that also benefit their guild What if upon receiving a law degree, newly minted barrister is told he is now barred from ever being a legislator or judge, due to it being a COI? Think that might make the CFR shrink a bit?

      Delete
  9. Sarge- you will be VERY happy with health care via MEDICARE and Tricare for Life for military retirees when you hit 65. It's not a choice, but mandatory to shift over, so don't waste time thinking about it.
    We have never had any issues with anyone not wanting to treat us (although for folks with Medicare alone, that may be a problem). I don't think we have ever had a single out of pocket payment for ANYTHING, except dental which is not covered. That includes all our routine physicals, colonoscopies (you know you want one!), broken bones, knees, hips, etc. The biggest and scariest stuff- cancer and an unrelated week in the ICU all totally 100% covered. Military medical retirement benefits, which none of us every thought important back when we were invincible warriors, are sure important now, and absolutely top rate. So, cross medical stuff off your list of things to worry about, and make your career decisions on other stuff where there are pros and cons to weigh.
    John Blackshoe
    PS- I have a bunch of non-sad topics to scribble about, but still getting caught up on necessary tasks.
    John Blackshoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I hit 65, like five years ago. The job keeps me focused and I enjoy it, but I'm breathing a sigh of relief on the medical front.

      Good to know.

      Delete
  10. Why does the movie "Down Periscope" come to mind? Great look at an old fleet boat for a movie. They got a lot of things right in it (like the compression of the hull and how noisy the darned things were.)

    Pets? It happens or not. Don't take a firm stance and don't push yourself.

    As to medicare, it is what it is. Finding a good provider is the more difficult part, stay with a PPO rather than an HMO, of course, pay the premium price for the better service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, funny movie, liked it.

      Pets, aye, it will happen if it's supposed to.

      No matter who pays for medical, finding a good doc is important.

      Delete
  11. Sarge, I am the opposite - I overpay as I have been bitten by it to the point that it was painful. I know I am "lending" the government my money, but mentally the refund always feels better than paying - that said, with the change in job situations this year and the unknown outcome there, a review of taxes might be in order.

    The Ravishing Mrs. TB has to keep reminding me that we already have 7 animals and that is probably the limit. I keep trying to persuade her that one more rescue animal (more or less) really is not that much of a burden. She remains unimpressed by my "logic"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our "logic" has no impact on our better halves. Probably for our own benefit.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.