Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Testing, Testing, 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... Testing, Testing

The RCA Indian-head test pattern (PD)
This is a test ...

So over the past week we, that is JB and I, presented you with a couple of old Lex posts. The story of Lazlo to be precise, in two parts.

I went out to the Wayback Machine and found both of the posts in their original format, still in the original packaging, as it were. So I presented them in that fashion. (Said packaging being admired, if not outright loved, by a number of you Chanters.)

Oddly enough, our own boron pronounced the "new format" to be a wondrous thing, easy on the eyes and all that. He could read it while sitting back in his chair and not have to press his nose to the glass, as it were.

Um, what?

To mine own aging eyes the only difference I could discern was that the letters were blue (well, technically Navy Blue, according to my grasp of the html, wherein "color: #000099;" - RGB: 0,0, 153 if you will, and I do - is listed as blue navy blue, of course it is and well done Lex, ya did that intentionally, dintcha?).

So as an experiment, I used the font color of blue, Navy blue for today's post. Same font type as I always use (it's sort of Georgia, I like it, think it's peachy, yes, a bad pun, but I do like the font, better than Times New Roman, which if pressed I would list as my second favorite, but it's really a "font-family" which is: Georgia, Verdana, Arial, serif, all combined, it looks a little different from Georgia, though not much), just the color has changed.

So boron, what say you? (If the rest of you have opinions as to font color, have at it.)

Or perhaps it was the comment style which eased the strain on your eyes? (Now I haven't figured that html out yet, not that I can't, I just haven't really looked at it yet. Now, no help from the audience please, I'll get to it shortly.)

Here's how the comments at Neptunus Lex looked back in 2005:
  1. MCPO Airdale Says:

    Lazlo was creamed chipped beef on toast! Serves him right for hangin with an enlisted honey!

    BTW: Nobody could bribe the QM on duty to tell the story???

Not sure I could reproduce that throughout the blog. Though apparently I can by changing the background color and setting the alignment to "justify." Obviously the font is also different in the comments ...

After playing with the font "family," I guess I can reproduce this Lex comment style throughout a post. Not sure if I should though. With great power comes great responsibility, or something ...


Not sure if it's worth the effort. But we'll see. (By the way, this is the normal font format and color. This is the one that I, your beloved humble scribe, prefer. And will probably stick with, because it's easy. And I am, as always, lazy.)

I breathlessly await your comments.



32 comments:

  1. That background color on the blue font color jumps out more for me than the normal format and color but then I'm just one old fart......... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really sure that the background color will stay as is. I did notice that that Navy blue text (on white) really "pops" on my cell phone screen.

      Delete
  2. I kind of like the Arial font Lex used in the comments as easier to read.

    However, neither the font nor color will improve fine prose, nor turn nonsense into great literature. I would defer to the gods of the Blogger (or whatever) software for the formatting details, so that Sarge will not be distracted by such trivia and can instead concentrate on coddling the Muse to create content.
    YMMV
    John Blackshoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might experiment with the font from Lex's comments section (not sure if he chose that or his platform did). It does look pretty good.

      Delete
    2. Once again, I'm with Brother Blackshoe; I'd much rather see Sarge concentrating on content. Long's you stay with English and the Roman alphabet; I'm good.
      Boat Guy

      Delete
    3. What? No Cantonese and Roman numerals?

      Dang ...

      😁

      Delete
  3. The colour change makes it stand to me if for no other reason than almost everywhere else is black.

    That said, I come for the content, not the appearance of the font, so whatever makes it easier for everyone to write is good with me (as if my opinion matters).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that, but I aim to please. No, really, I do. No one tell anyone I said that ...

      Delete
  4. Bookman Old Style, Georgia, Times New Roman in that order, although it's so close as to make almost no difference. Black, dark blue, dark green.

    Although I do set my phone to Black background and white font.

    Sanserif is anathema, a visual abomination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, Bookman Old Style, first time I've looked at that. Really like it!

      Like serif better than without, though not fanatic about it.

      Delete
  5. I like the fact that the blue font and size I can read without my glasses, whereas the regular black smaller text you normally use requires the glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The font sizes for black and blue are actually the same, the blue seems bigger. Believe me, I checked. The blue rather pops, makes the black font look smaller.

      Delete
    2. Now that I look at it on the computer, they do seem the same, maybe mobile is the difference. However, is it a "thicker" font? The blue looks almost bold.

      Delete
    3. The blue font really looks nice on my phone and does seem bolder, as you say.

      Delete
  6. Sarge,
    Any Sans Serif font is easier to read than ones with Serif for web pages. Bigger font size is second fix making things easier to read. Don’t know about some of the “more life experienced” readers, but I had a much more difficult time reading this post than past ones.
    My $.02
    juvat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd, the blue looked better for me than the black. A larger font size is not going to happen, at least not in the immediate future. A lot of what things look like depend on what platform you're using. Android looks different than PC using Chrome. No doubt Edge and Firefox have their own nuances as well.

      Delete
  7. Weird. Very weird.

    But then there's Mrs. Andrew, who, when reading books on her computer changes the font color to white and the background to black as it puts less strain on her eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that with my computer at work, for emails and such. It is less straining for me as well.

      Delete
    2. To me the comment text is easier to read. I think it is that the font type is sharper, with less dodads on the letters cluttering things up. Changing letter and background color was less important when I tried an excerpt of the text. Blue is good.

      Delete
  8. Black, not blue, for me. If it’s blue, what do hyperlinks look like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall discover that on the morrow. (Hint, hint.)

      Delete
  9. I apologize for my tardiness: I was given a Cu-64 (new type of dodetate -rather than the Gallium-68) shot early on, plus an oral contrast; then stuffed into a machine for 45 min to check my NETs. just back now with a warning to steer clear of pregnant women - at least i'm glowing.
    "Lazlo was creamed..." pops out of the page; very easy to read; the date line not so much.
    (TME) To My Eyes the font color at the bottom is grey, not stark black - and more difficult to read than the blue on white.
    "Not sure I could reproduce" The blue font on the yellowish grey background is much easier to read than the same blue on stark white.
    My Eyes. We could spend a week in interesting discussion about My Eyes.
    Even though I used to be able to grease a Cessna150 on a dimly- (if at all) lit runway at Zero Dark Hundred: no glasses, I'd still recommend at least 1 Mil in Life Insurance to anyone who'd want to ride shotgun while I'm driving.
    TNX 4 giving it try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see how tomorrow goes. I'm using a new format based on the above. The background is doable, though I've had inconsistent results in the few trials I've run.

      Sounds like your day was "interesting. "

      Delete
  10. To add my two bits to the conversation. I found the ARMY blue to be a very nice change of pace. Also thanks for the outstanding stories you weave!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too thought the blue, Navy blue was a slightly bigger font, but guess I was wrong...really I am good either way. If the font is too small, or my eyes too tired, I just increase the screen font on my computer. But, yes, at night when I am supposed to be sleeping, but I am reading on my kindle instead, I change to background to black. Don't understand why it works for me, but it does.
    And I agree, I come here for the great content and stories, so I support coddling the Muse as much as needed.
    But you should do what is easiest for you, because it is your blog after all, and we are just guests popping by.

    Suz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah but without the guests, what's the point of the blog anyway?

      I enjoy, no, crave, the company.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.