Monday, April 15, 2024

Sitrep 24105 v2

 

Well, that stinks! Yesterday, I was proofing my post for today.  There was a small error in how I wanted a picture and citation to look.  Went to correct it and presto-change-o, the post disappeared.  Tried undo.  No help.  Nothing, Nada,  없음.  Suffice it to say a few bad words were uttered. 

So...that is why the v2 is in the title.

This was where the error occurred.  I'm not even sure why I had this photo in the post.  But...

Source

The picture is of  The Big Week" of the Allied Bombing Raids on Germany in WWII.  The caption I added said "No FW-190s going to be coming out of there for a while."  But there was an HTML error in the positioning of the Source link.  Tried to fix it and the Blogging Genies took offense and turned the comment to "Ain't No blog post coming out of here for a while."

So...There I was.

This is the Big Week in my little slice of Heaven for my family.  Little J will be home for a couple of weeks.  Gonna be great to see him again and while Mrs. J and I are very excited, I'm pretty sure LJW and Miss B are even more so.  

As it should be.

They'll be starting the process to move to the UK this summer.  All is on track (knock on wood) to get Miss B cleared to travel.  There doesn't appear to be any medical problem stalling the approval, more like paper work and bureaucratic slow rolling.

No, Sarge, nothings changed since we left the military.  May even be worse now.

In any case, it will be good to see them together.  I'd also like to be a fly on the wall listening to his phone call to the folks in DC handling (or mishandling) the assignment.

So,  on to a different, less blood pressure raising, subject.  I've mentioned several times about the changes going on people wise in our little town.  I'd gone to the supermarket a couple of days ago.  OT, that is my form of entertainment.  I pulled into a parking place and saw something interesting.


We've got a lot license plates from that state out west.  They're coming here in droves.  If you're one of them, could I offer a suggestion?  When in a conversation, the words "When I lived in (you know where), this is how we did this.  You should try it."  should never, ever, ever leave your lips.  As far as we're concerned, you're a refugee and while you may not have contributed to the screwed up situation, we don't want it to happen here.

Just sayin'

Back on target, juvat!

On Target, Aye, Sarge.

So, back to the license plate.  A couple of things came to mind.  1) Did Sarge drive down to check out retirement locations? 2)  Is this a refugee who's moving here?  If so, welcome.  Or is he/she an follower of the Electric Vehicle faith.  If so, they are in for a difficult education.  Texas is Big,  recharging sessions for your car will be frequent and long. 3) I also wondered how long it took them to drive down here, distance and recharge rates being factors.

But that's just me.

On the woodworking front (AKA that activity which keeps me supposedly sane), Mrs. J decided we needed another end table in one of our Casseta's.  So,  we purchased one of those put together yourself kits.  About $25 bucks, so if the guests play tackle with it, it's not that big a deal.


Went together fairly easily, doesn't wobble and puts out an very pleasant light.  So...win/win.

Took about 15 minutes to construct.  Which left me a bit more time to work on the ongoing Pikler  Triangle project.  


I'm now waiting for paint to dry and then final construction. 


 

 It'll be nice to finish as I've got several wood turning projects in my mind and the Birthday Week is coming up the first week in June.

So, got to get to work.

Peace out, y'all!

27 comments:

  1. I hope little J and the Miss get through UK immigration - any problems and tell them they could always land in France and find a rubber boat to cross the English Channel, as that method is quite popular at present😂. PS Don’t bring guns or ammo! Hogday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hogday,
      So am I to understand that the UK border is a secure as the US Southern Border? If so, may the Lord have mercy on all y'all. Additionally, if you are successful in preventing the importation of guns and ammo, could you provide details on the process? Doesn't seem to be working worth shite here!
      Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
      juvat

      Delete
  2. Hey! Folks you know living in the UK, time for road trip in the future juvat. That Pikler is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon, Mrs. J's mom was born in the UK. Unfortunately she passed when Mrs J was young. So, yeah, may have to visit ans see if we can refresh the extended family knowledge.
      Oh yeah and visit Little J and his gang also!
      juvat

      Delete
  3. Oddly enough, this past week Blogger actually garbled a post. Like you, I was trying to get a picture in with a caption and the html decided, "I think I'll just put a bunch of random crap in here, and not let you remove it." My move was to just walk away, then I looked at the html and somehow Blogger had inserted a bunch of nonsense at the end of the post, which wound up on top of the beginning of the post. I deleted the offending html and all was back as it should be. People at Blogger (part of Google) get promoted and pay raises based on their "innovations." Mind you, they needn't actually work properly or be popular with the user community, just get out there and "innovate." I guess you get what you pay for. (Blogger and Google are free.)

    Guessing that's what happened.

    Good luck with Little J's tribe getting off to the UK intact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarge,
      Well, somewhat glad to hear I'm not the only one. My oops happened when I wanted the Source link to be on the line below the caption. I hit the enter key, nothing happened other than the link went to the end of the line. Went into HTML found the code and went to insert a break command. Hit the space bar to make room and that's when it happened. I guess if I ever have to do it again, I'll select the entire post from the regular screen and paste it into a Text Document before I start fiddling with code. Sounds like a PITA, but hey, I like Greek Food!
      ;-)
      juvat

      Delete
  4. My current theory is the Gargle folks are sending the NGs to Boogger to learn how to write code, without any supervision or followup.
    I still can’t seem to access comments anywhere that doesn’t allow anonymous ones…. Even on my own blog!!!
    (NNYU) Skip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skip,
      Interesting hypothesis. And because not allowing anonymous comments is a prohibitive process, it the credential checking software is, well let's just say, less than functional, that could be the cause of the problem. I'm not sure that's the case here, but I suppose it could be a factor.
      juvat

      Delete
  5. Electric cars... A couple of weeks back I read a report on the Ford EV half ton truck using the Tesla chargers, the best part of the article was honest data on charging the machine.
    54 minutes of charging gave him 211 miles and cost $43.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob,
      So...If I buy a Ford EV Truck and want to go to a Dallas Cowboy Football game and took the shortest route (243 miles ) from my hometown, the trip would take 4 Hours 4 Minutes of driving +108 minutes of charging. Assuming I made a weekend of it and did some moderate driving around and then RTB'd. The trip would take 3 charging sessions at least, and lengthen the trip by 2.5+ hours with a total fuel charge of $129.
      Boy howdy!!! Where do I sign up?
      NOT!
      juvat

      Delete
    2. I don't know the range of an Ford EV truck on a full battery all I know is it took that guy 54 minutes to put 211 of range in for $43.
      I've sat in some long lines waiting for my turn to gas up (that takes 5 minutes), it has to be way worse if it takes almost an hour to put 200+ miles in your battery.

      Delete
    3. Rob,
      Agreed. It's almost as if the "minds" behind EV's are all into short little 2 block trips to the grocery store and then back home in NYC or something. Got little regard for the majority of the people in this vast country. Maybe we should confiscate their Gulfstreams to get them to understand a little better.
      juvat

      Delete
    4. Rob,
      Agreed.
      juvat

      Delete
  6. Juvat, the portion of your post dealing with license plate "looking" is my habit too. I do it for a couple of reasons, but mainly because when I see an "Auslander" (no Texas Plates) I'm a little more wary of unexpected stops, turns and other gymnastics that might be performed with a vehicle car driven by someone unfamiliar with the area. Those "foreign plates" are as big a give-a-way as someone walking down Main St. in shorts when we have a temperature of 35 degrees and a 25 mph north wind.
    Thumbs up for Little J. and family getting some "them" time and preparing for the UK move!
    Cletus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cletus,
      Don't forget the folks with those plates are also the ones that think the 'Burg is a small town and therefore jaywalking across Main St (AKA US87/290) is ok. Those 18 wheelers can stop on a dime, can't they?
      Thanks
      juvat

      Delete
  7. A like-minded (aka refugee) friend moved to Texas from here in CA and the absolute first thing they did once they had a place was to get new plates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuna,
      Those people I will greet with a smile and an outstretched hand.
      juvat

      Delete
  8. If you move to Texas and gripe about the weather, you are overextending your privileges and should return to your former paradise. Don't complain it's hot when you didn't experience the summers of 1980 or 2011 while working outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,
      I was in Korea with Sarge in 1980, however, I was in the local school district's tech department in 2011. Working in an equipment closet where the AC wasn't handling the outside heat, much less the additional equipment produced heat was one of the most "joyous" periods in my life. /end sarc.
      Agreed on your remedy.
      juvat

      Delete
  9. Better a refugee than a missionary. Just look what the missionaries have done to Austen and Houston.

    Glad everything else is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beans,
      I have a modified version of that first sentence. Refugee's are welcome. Missionaries not.
      Thanks
      juvat

      Delete
  10. A minor defense of Toyota Prius hybrids. For three years three days a week I drove one on a 410 mile route. I calculate I've driven a Prius 100,000 miles. This route was from Colorado thru Wyoming and Nebraska to DIA. Mayo Clinic biological specimens. Average mpg was 42 mpg. Range on battery alone; maybe 20 miles. All kinds of weather. If the road was open we went.

    Did I like the Prius? No, from day one to the last day. The other driver and I both hit deer (Mile Marker 73, I-25) and learned the body is thin plastic backed up by foam. With no option to turn off traction control, they aren't a good choice for most drivers.

    Your advice to newcomers is spot on. Your problem will be, like my home state of Colorado, when they start getting elected to public office. Before that, they will be a nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WSF,
      Not that I would consider one, but thanks for an additional reason (or two) not to buy one. Plastic backed with Foam? YGBSM! I'd be worried about totaling the car if I barely touched the wall in the garage with it. No thanks!
      Good point, how about a 10 year residency requirement before being eligible to run for office? Any office, Dog Catcher on up.
      juvat

      Delete
    2. (Don McCollor) A few years ago, I drove a Univ hybrid for work in late MN fall weather (cold). Actually enjoyable to drive once I got used to its idiosyncrasies. Like the IC engine stopping when the speed dropped below 20 mph, and the IC engine rpm sound not necessarily being related to the vehicle speed (revving up to charge the battery a bit). But electric? NO! There are hidden costs besides the electricity for charging. Home charging would require an (expensive) upgrade of my electric service capacity. Hidden deep in the Tesla manual there is a note that the battery loses about 1% of charge per day just parked. And the battery has to be kept above a certain temperature, requiring a minimally heated garage (and paying to heat it). It can't be just left shivering in a snowbank at -30F for a week like an IC powered car.

      Delete
  11. Yep, we're seeing a 'few' folks up this way too... most of them move along fairly quickly when they realize 'we don't play those games' up here...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’m in Suffolk, U.K., in the heartland of the former USAAF. I can’t ride more than a few miles in any direction without passing a former base that was home to your folks for a few interesting years. Some are still here, beneath the soil. It remains hallowed ground. Eg A friend of mine lives 5 miles away in a road named ‘Zemke Way’. This is a nice, rural area with a North Sea coastline to the east - yes I know. City bankers, lawyers and other sundry London gentry have second homes out here (some third and fourth ones too). Some bring their cosmopolitan attitudes with them. We can always spot them by their clean shoes and lack of eye contact (fearing we might steal their wallet, iPhone etc as happens where they come from). We hear them in our delightful cafes., the ok ones slot in nicely; the ‘up-their-own-arses’ types don’t. They can be heard from a distance, braying like the asses they are. Hey Ho! (Hogday)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.