Monday, June 17, 2024

Some weeks are harder than others. For instance...

Well, Campers, it's been another "fun", "exciting", "suspenseful" week at Rancho Juvat.  I hope, by now, y'all can detect a bit of sarcasm in my online "voice".  

Let's just say that it's a VERY good thing that both Mrs J and I are retired military and therefore have a very good version of medical insurance. The numbers at the top of the bill are shocking to say the least, fortunately the "You Pay" section is significantly lower. 

Best 20 years we ever invested.

But, it ain't over til it's over.

Mrs. J's colonoscopy mentioned in last week's post went off without a hitch.  However, during debriefing, the oncologist said there might be some cancer cells still active and he would have to do surgery to remove them as well as any deceased cells in the area.

Well, that's taken a bit of air out from under my wings.

We'll meet with him tomorrow to find out more details.

Just to add to the "Fun", a couple of weeks ago one of the dogs (we have 5, 3 inherited when my Sister passed and 2 we've had for forever) got a little rambunctious and scratched Mrs. J's leg.  One of the drawbacks to Chemo/Radiation Cancer treatment is it severely weakens the immune system.  Today (Sunday) as we were getting ready for Church, she asked for help in replacing a bandage.  Now, she had had a mole removed a month or two ago and unfortunately the stitches broke leaving a hole.  I've been treating that for quite a while and it's starting to look much better.

2 weeks ago

This Morning

In any case, those were not the bandages she wanted replaced.  Nope,  She pulled up the leg of her PJ bottom and there's this huge bright red rash.  

 


So, I did my best with the ointments we had on hand, went to Church (Yeah, Beans, I did a lot of begging the Big Guy for help) then immediately followed that up with a trip to one of the "I don't think I need the hospital or an ER, just need someone to take a look and tell us what to do" facilities in town.  Turns out the NP had been in Little J's Boy Scout troop and I'd been one of the adult leaders.  He was very helpful and the chatting about old times while he was doing his treatment brought my BP down a few points.  

No, Beans, Mrs J didn't start laughing about some of my foibles as a scout leader he had told her until we got in the car and went home.

In any case, he recommended some OTC stuff to treat it for now, made sure that if any of the symptoms he described appeared we were to head to the ER most hastily. He also told us we needed to see our regular doctor as soon as possible.

Went over to our winemaker friends winery last Saturday.  It was a Birthday.  As you are aware, he passed away last July from colon cancer (see a connection? I'm somewhat sensitive to that version of the disease).  His wife managed to find a  buyer for the winery and it closed this last week.  They had their final bottling under their management recently and produced this wine.

Rest in peace, Gary.

Can't think of a better way to be remembered.  They sold out the first day it was released.  I managed to snag two bottles.  We'll see when they get consumed.

But...As I said, it's been a pretty crappy few weeks.  Faith that things will get better, is taking some hits, but I've still got faith in the Big Guy upstairs.  Never give up, Never surrender!

Now, not wanting to become known as Dougie Downer on Sarge's blog, there is a bit of good news in the near  future.  By the time this post actually hits the internet, Little J should be en route from HK to Austin.  Won't arrive until tomorrow PM, but on his way.  

 

Miss B and the Gang are looking forward to Little J's arrival.

He'll be here for a couple of weeks, then He and his family will travel to Jolly Old England for his next assignment.  While Mrs J and I will miss them, but without a doubt being together as a family is the best option for all three of them.  Thank You, Lord!

So, one of the thing's I learned in flying Fighters is it's hard to keep your airspeed & energy level up when you're always turning to keep out of your opponent's gun sight.  This last couple of months feels like that right now.  Think I'm going to go and join Mrs. J in taking a nap.

Peace out y'all. 

38 comments:

  1. Well, that's certainly good news for the Little J gang. Fingers crossed and prayers out for the upcoming surgery juvat, get your rest when you can, surgery days can be long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon,
      Thanks, prayers are much appreciated.
      Yeah, they can be can't they.
      juvat

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the rash/scratch. Those can get nasty. Mom and Dad swore by https://www.amazon.com/IODEX-Methyl-Salicylate-Ointment-Ounce/dp/B0011Z649Y for cat and dog scratches and bites, any any sort of puncture wound. And, ya know? The stuff works. Slather it on, slap a bandaid over it, and infections clear up. Good for drawing out splinters, too. Almost as good as a piece of bacon fat taped onto it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe,
      Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, it takes 5-7 days for delivery. But, I think I'll order it just to have on hand. Having it on order will undoubtedly cause the germs/bacteria/whatever to commit suicide on the last day before delivery, But, what the heck, if that works, it works. Just kidding, of course. I'll talk it over with our local pharmacist and see if they have anything similar.
      juvat

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Sarge, much appreciated.
      juvat

      Delete
  4. Rule of thumb when on chemo: ANYTIME ya have even a little boo-boo, ya get thee to the friendly local primary care MD, or ya share with your friendly oncology provider type person PDQ. No trying home remedies, no screwing around -- get your butt in to be seen like soonest. ALWAYS. Cause in doing so, ya ward off evil spirits!! Ya have enough evil spirits around right now, ya don't need Murphy to go sending more your way.
    So, yes, get the leg looked at, and that mole site.

    Suz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suz,
      Learned that lesson...the mole episode was the teacher. The only delay in the leg rash was getting dressed and in the car. The NP told us which OTC ointments to buy and how often to use. So, the "I don't think I need the hospital or an ER, just need someone to take a look and tell us what to do" facilities trip worked exactly the way it should. Our GP will get a call in about 30 minutes when they open and we'll see what availability they've got or what they want us to do today.
      However, I am glad to see that what you say we needed to do and what we actually did are pretty much the same. Re: the mole site, the dermatologist said it could take 6-8 weeks to heal. That seems to be coming true progress wise, although we will ask the GP to take a look at that also.
      Again, thanks, my Friend. Always good to hear from you.
      juvat

      Delete
  5. I have to agree about the retired military medical ... but I'm really sorry I know what a deal it is.
    I'm sure we could have gone our whole lives without finding out what a deal it is...

    Hang in there...our prayers & hopes are for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob,
      Thanks. Would be nice to make it through on just regular Doctor checkups and no Hospital stays, wouldn't it? Unfortunately...
      juvat

      Delete
    2. It would have been nice ....

      Delete
  6. Goodness Juvat, what a week. The reduced immunity from chemotherapy is something I have certainly known about; I just do not think I grasped how many different areas it might touch. Glad everything is better than it could have been, and especially glad Little J is headed back and then the family gets to go together. That is a long time prayer answered (at least as long as Miss B has been around).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THBB,
      Thanks, yeah, Life has a way of teaching you things and, boy, have I learned a lot about it in the last few months. Prayers are very much appreciated, thanks!
      juvat

      Delete
    2. Sadly Juvat, I tend to be a slow learner about such things...

      Delete
    3. THBB,
      Aren’t we all?
      juvat

      Delete
  7. Dittos on the blessing of our hard earned Tricare for Life which in conjunction with Medicare (the geezer "freebie" not the "Medicaid for po' folks and freeloader). Spouse did all the chemo and radiation type stuff 11 years ago with great success, and total bill was zip, zero, nada.

    Back when were were young, foolish and invincible, we kinda pooh-poohed "free medical care for life" carrot as "no big deal, I'll never need that sort of stuff." REALLY happy to have it now!

    Otherwise, J-clan seems to be having good times.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB,
      With my ER AFib visit last month, the bill arrived and I almost had another attack until I looked at the "You Pay" line. Yep, I already had a lot of reasons for staying in til retirement, this just reinforced them.
      Well, we will be next weekend when Mrs. J and My descendants are all gathered in College Station to swap war stories and get back together again. Really looking forward to that.
      juvat

      Delete
  8. Yikes, juvat. When it rains yada yada. Know all about that type of stuff, horrid ways that compound upon compound upon compound ways.

    Something that Mrs. Andrew's doctor says is okay and we've found works quite well as wound dressing is Manuka Honey. Yeah, honey. Honey is inherently sterile and the Manuka part (the Manuka tree pollen) has extra special powers or something. And it does work. Keeps the wound moist while covering the surface.

    Works on Mrs. Andrew's messed up leg from her days as a hard riding biker babe, well, she rode a motorcycle. Skin on one part is directly adhered to bone and occasionally breaks down and I have to use that stuff on it.

    Other than that, yeah, fun times.

    Glad everything is okayish. As long as you all stay out of the hospital, well, it's okay-ish...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The honey is actively antibiotic. Prayers for all the health issues.

      Delete
    2. Tree Mike,
      I learned that at Survival school after pilot training. Though that was quite interesting.
      juvat

      Delete
    3. Beans,
      Thanks, trying to avoid hospitals as much as possible. The Urgent/Immediate Care facilities in town have done very well in taking care of us. They were the ones that during the AFib incident sent us immediately to the ER and had them ready for us in the 5 minutes it took for us to get there. It is a small town and there are big advantages to knowing the people around you. Course it is a bit strange to be in the supermarket and have some stranger ask you "How's your AFib hanging?" Only slightly kidding about that.
      juvat

      Delete
    4. As I recall from my various readings, both Greeks and Romans used honey, or a mix of honey, wine, and olive oil for wound treatment. Greeks would also use spiderweb as a bandage to help hold the honey ointment on the wound.

      Delete
    5. Joe,
      Interesting and resourceful, but then, they survived through some hard times also.
      juvat

      Delete
    6. And honey was used as a preservative. The body of King Agesilaus, Spartan King, was preserved in honey when they shipped his corpse back from Egypt to Sparta.

      Delete
    7. I’m assuming it made it ok.
      juvat

      Delete
  9. Frustrating part about prayer for me is my own impatience. Any answers to my requests are either very slow in coming, or maybe not the response I was looking for. The big C can try one's faith. I will not relent though, and maybe I'll get an answer because He's tired of listening to me! That wound looks a bit scary, but fortunately all naturally colored, and nothing in the green, black, or purple tints. You're on my list too, and hopefully your BP is down overall, despite the worries for Mrs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuna,
      I was a Fighter Pilot! Patience is not a common characteristic thereof. That having been said, I am learning, slowly but learning. Amen to the rest.
      juvat

      Delete
    2. We need oncological indulgences!

      Delete
    3. That would be nice
      juvat

      Delete
  10. I learned patience as an IP in the phantom. Always in transition. Later on in the program, after transition, there’s no time for patience, there’s no time for anything, but do it right, please, now! (Well maybe not please in air to ground).
    The LORD GOD hears our prayers and acts according to His perfect understanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D4, Yeah, I had a similar experience at Lead-in in the AT-38, although the vis in the back seat was better. It was also interesting in the Eagle as your first ride was solo. But, what a ride! All that having been said, there were many "Please Lord" moments. But, since I'm typing this now, they must have been answered in time. Again, I'd rather be lucky than good
      Agreed with your last. I just continue to pray that his plan and my requests are in sync.
      juvat
      juvat

      Delete
  11. Well, at least some good news! Prayers for Mrs. J!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Old NFO, much appreciated.
      juvat

      Delete
  12. Sometimes all you can do is bare your fangs, lower your head, dig in your claws, and Badger Through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. StB, Yep! Sucks, but you're right.
      juvat

      Delete
  13. Always trust The Big Guy, no matter what.
    He has an answer for everything.
    I only wish I knew what they are.
    When I pray for "knowledge of God's will for me" it is a prayer asking "what?" -- not a prayer asking "why?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skip,
      Always good points. "I only wish I knew what they are."
      Truer words were never spoke. Pretty sure that's part of the challenges of life. Figuring out what the situation dictates and what's expected. Hopefully, I"m getting better at it. Not sure I am, but I do spend a lot of time asking for guidance.
      Thanks and Cheers,
      juvat

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.