When she came back from church, she had those flowers in the opening photo. Seems one of the ladies at the church thought I'd appreciate the gesture of getting flowers.
Surprisingly enough, I did appreciate it, far more than I ever expected.
As you can see, they were very pretty flowers, and since the lady had put them in a simple green bottle it kinda made it even more special. Nothing fancy, just an old green bottle and some lovely flowers.
Who says a guy can't appreciate getting flowers? First time for me, I liked it.
A lot.
Big day on Thursday. Trash day, got my lawn mowed, an order of socks, vitamins, and coffee arrived on the doorstep, a real banner day. As I get older I'm starting to appreciate the little things.
If you'd told me when I was a kid that someday I'd get excited over getting new socks, I would've thought you were crazy. But here we are.
Might not be living large, but I'm living comfortably.
Supposed to be a nor'easter rolling in this weekend. Oh boy, good thing I have those new books in case the power goes out.
Now where did I leave those candles?*
* Just kidding, I know exactly where they are, and the thing we use to light them.

Ah.....books, they're always there and ready to take you somewhere. Only thing now is that there is less daylight for reading since we're sliding down towards Winter (yes I know about artificial light, enough lamps around the abode). Oh as to socks, since I'm hard on them there's always an extra pack of Summer and Winter socks in reserve......:)
ReplyDeleteNo such thing as too many socks.
DeletePurty flaw'rs!
ReplyDelete"Seems one of the ladies at the church thought I'd appreciate the gesture of getting flowers.
Surprisingly enough, I did appreciate it, far more than I ever expected."
After decades of a career were "Suck it up, soldier! ("Suck it up AIRMAN" just doesn't seem to have the right kick to it.) That compound fracture isn't bad. Here, have a bandaid and some Ibuprofen!" was the norm, having someone, upon hearing of your being mured up in a Dungeon of Pain and Despair, think of doing something to lift your spirits and give you hope of living, and actually doing it would seem a nice change.
I recall from The Captains blog, the quote:
"“It is by no means enough that an officer should be capable. . . . He should be as well a gentleman of liberal education, refined manners, punctilious courtesy, and the nicest sense of personal honor. . . . No meritorious act of a subordinate should escape his attention, even if the reward be only one word of approval. Conversely, he should not be blind to a single fault in any subordinate.”"
― John Paul Jones
But applied to others in pain as, "Even if the gesture be simple flowers in a beer bottle."
Actually Air Force medical care was excellent.
DeleteAgreed!
Deletejuvat
👍
DeleteThe bottle holding the flowers immediately reminded me of a 7Up bottle, I looked closer & it's not but first impression.
ReplyDeleteHave a good Saturday!
My first thought was that it was a Rolling Rock beer!
DeleteHang in there, Boss, the Missus’ll be home soon enough. Then, for a lot of reasons, your recovery will be accelerated.
ReplyDeletejuvat
One can only hope!
DeleteSarge, as I have gotten older it is shocking to me how "simple things" become so enjoyable. The arrival of a new book, the first cup of coffee in the morning, flowers that I see on my walks...all so relatively innocuous and seemingly unimportant to a bustling world, but they give me great pleasure in a way I was not cognizant of before.
ReplyDeleteYou can never have too many pairs of good socks.
As one ages, one can appreciate the little things in life, especially when you're retired!
DeleteBooks! I keep a couple of anthologies in the car to read while waiting for appointments (mine or friends I transported). I prefer paper and ink to digits.
ReplyDeleteNothing like holding an actual ink and paper book.
DeleteI turn 65 in November on the holy day for those of us who wrote the blank check. I blew my knee out for the third time last Thanksgiving. I have had the shots and 2 rounds of therapy this past year. I have consultation the first of December for a JAN knee replacement. The Doc my Doc is going to refer me to is a VA doctor I already have a mid NOV review with because the first two times I blew my knee out I was on AD. I will be juggling insurance.
ReplyDeleteThat does not sound like fun. Here's hoping it all goes well. Keep us posted.
Delete