Sunday, September 20, 2026

The Last Days of Summer

OAFS Photo
Autumn has arrived, weather-wise. According to the calendar, not yet, but who cares? The air has a hint of cold in it, the sun shines differently, and the nights are in the 50s.

I love this time of year.

A friend of mine once called these days Septober, it rings true to me. We miss you Scott, you old badger you. 'Tis from him I first heard that phrase. Now he's gone, like so many others I have known over the years. Thinking of Doug, a colleague from the old job, gone too soon as well.

We lost a cherished dog this year, a dear friend lost her cherished cat. It all comes to an end one day.

But not yet, I pray.

I love the smell of fall, almost as much as that of spring. Those who know, know. Perhaps it's a northern thing, where the seasons are so well defined. I know that Okinawa experienced no such thing, having lived there for two and a half years. There it's either hot or it's raining, sometimes both. The winter has a chill, but nothing like that in the North.

Another season passes by, another approaches. I will enjoy them all, while I can.

Please, do the same.

It's all good.

Have a nice Sunday.




I have no idea where the Muse has gotten to, perhaps traveling in Korea with The Missus Herself, perhaps she tires of this old man. I seem to have no stories left. Maybe I just need to relax and see if they come back. If not, well, it was a good run. I don't think I'm done yet, but only time will tell.

8 comments:

  1. Sarge,
    Hang in there, my Friend. You've got a lot of folks out here whose day starting checklist is getting out of bed, visiting the facility, brewing a cup of coffee and opening your site to see what's what. I know because that's my normal crank-starting my day. I'd hate to lose you, as I suspect a lot of others would also.
    juvat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm in a bit of a rough patch. But if the well has run dry?

      Delete
    2. I fell somewhat the same. House and Hero's. But...We shall see what we shall see.
      juvat

      Delete
  2. "I have no idea where the Muse has gotten to, perhaps traveling in Korea with The Missus Herself, perhaps she tires of this old man. I seem to have no stories left. "

    Perhaps Muse is telling you that it's time to tell YOUR story.

    Re: Seasons.
    I was raised in North San Diego County. Most of the year the forecast was "Night and morning low clouds and fog, burning off by mid-morning to become mostly sunny. Highs in the 79s, lows in the 50s" Temperature was on a predictable slider from liw 70s to low 90s. Thos time of year there would be the occasional Santa Ana, where days would spike into the upper 90s, lower 100s.. We had a wet season, more or less the 1st quarter of the year. Other things to count on...the first few days of school were either scorching or rain. And high school graduations were the same. Which the

    In 1978 I left, went to CSU Chico and experienced Autumn for the first time. When I commented on it the semi-exchamge students from New Hampshire (some sort of sister school exchange with UNH) scoffed and looked at me as if I were crazy. Well, I am, but that's another matter.
    I've been in Sonoma County now for 40 years and more, content with the seasons here. Not, perhaps, vas dramatic as the seasons in New England and the Mid-Atlantic States, but dramatic compared to San Diego.

    "Septober." Thank you for reminding me of the word . A nip in the evening and morning, A subtle change in the green of the trees, some even have the colors of the Eastern Seaboard. Yesterday I noticed that s couple of the leaves on the fig tree are going yellow, and the pepper tree is getting a tinge of red. In another month wr might even get a little frost.

    So, "Septober'" and I'll raise a mug of hot chocolate to Scott who taught me that lovely word as I enjoy the morning or evening coolth. Miss you, sir. Your gentle humor, your chain mail and other projects., and your feline companions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aye Sarge, season change is knocking at the door....several perennials are changing their colors to that sickly yellow-green in the leaves and the flowers are long gone...vegetable garden is weeded and leveled for the winter....morning temps are in the fifties and yesterday's high (with the rain finally!) was in the low sixties. Does your Muse know how to use a long bow Sarge? Archery season opened yesterday in this state......:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the mechanics of archery, we actually studied that in gym class in high school, which was awesome. I used to know exactly when, and which, hunting seasons were in progress when I was a youth. But that was Vermont, here in Little Rhody they do have hunting seasons, but as I don't hunt anymore, I don't pay attention.

      Delete
  4. Sarge, I think this may be my favourite time of year as well, especially as we begin to extend into the rains of Winter.

    I, for one, remain happy to read anything you write. Most of life is pretty ordinary day to day if you think about it; it is good to hear the ordinariness of life from others.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.