Saturday, September 19, 2026

Say What?

Source
I received the following email on Friday, from Blogger. Okay, so it might be legit, and it might not be ...

Hi OldAFSarge,

We are performing some routine maintenance to our service and as a result will need to remove a small percentage of videos on the platform. We have identified that 1 videos you own will be deleted as a result. These videos usually appear in blogs as non-playable still image screenshots.

For your reference, here is a sample of screenshots of those videos:

What you need to do: We encourage you to visit Google Takeout and download an archive of your Blogger data to save a copy. You must do so within the next 30 days before it is deleted permanently from Blogger.

To download your videos via Takeout,

Go to Google Takeout.
Sign in with your Google Account used for Blogger.
Ensure "Blogger" is selected.
Scroll to the bottom and click "Next step".
Choose "Send download link via email".
Click "Create export".
When you receive the email, follow the link to "Manage Google Takeout request", and download and save the ZIP file. Your videos should be in the Blogger/Albums folder.
If you want to keep playing these videos on your blog, please re-add them following Add images & videos to your blog.

Best,
The Blogger Team
Google LLC 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

---
You received this mandatory email service announcement to update you about important changes to your Blogger account.

Thing is, I've never inserted any flash videos into a post. At least not to my certain knowledge. Maybe someone else did (Tuna? juvat? Beans?) but I highly doubt it. If so, then oh well, it's on a old post anyway.

I'm getting more and more annoyed with software. Back in the day I knew folks who really knew what they were doing, they followed a plan, they had a goal to achieve, and were paid to make that goal.

Google seems to be a bunch of intelligent, but essentially lacking in common sense folks who seem to hack away at shit that ain't broken, in order to "fix it."

While in NATO, a German colleague and I came up with a database system to collect data on the reliability of the aircraft computer operators and the way they loaded software into the onboard computers. Think magnetic tape, as archaic as that sounds.

My whole job for a while was entering data into a computer that no one ever looked at. So Johannes and I (he was the German in this story) talked to the folks who would be the most interested in this data and discovered what they were looking for.

So we created a system which allowed us to mine the data to discover trends which could possibly be corrected. Entering data into the system was cumbersome, but the database was really simple to perform ad hoc queries on.

In short, we created a system that people could actually rely on and use.

Then a new fellow came along and decided that the whole point of the system was how to get data into the system, not get it back out. So he made it very data entry clerk friendly, and nearly impossible to do ad hoc queries on in order to get the data back out again in such a way as to spot trends and possible problems.

Completely useless.

Software people, you gotta love 'em, they never met a problem they couldn't make worse.

Maybe I'm just too old for this shit ...

Sigh.

And to top it off, one of my mini-splits is pissing water. At least the nights are cool now.

As Buck used to say, It's always somethin' ...




22 comments:

  1. One reason I do my best to avoid software from any "Five Eyes/Nine Eyes/Fourteen Eyes" country.
    You can count on it to be FULL of sewage to make sure Our Betters can do what they want when they want how they want!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's always one dofus that knows, absolutely knows best on what to do/what the problem is/what the solution is. Good luck with that split Sarge, hope it's not much $$ to remedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that doofus is usually the one in charge. As to the mini-split, it's a clogged drainage tube, they just blow it out. I need to ask them to actually fix it as it was installed improperly.

      Delete
  3. It could have been me. A few of my older post have a funky icon where the video is. Getting pictures into Monday’s post was a bit of a PITA. They were construction pictures taken with my iPhone. In order to get them posted I had to upload them to my iPad, then copy them to my Macbook. It wouldn’t take them if I plugged my phone directly into the laptop. I think there’s a net format coming out bearing a Large Apple logo. Got it done, but, as I said, PITA.
    juvat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting videos and photos into a post can be a challenge. Doing it from any Apple product has to be a nightmare. One of the many reasons I despise Apple products.

      Delete
  4. Yes, this stuff is getting out of hand. I was once upon a time "THE expert" on a software package that ran a huge switching system. Now I'm struggling to get some scans for my granddaughter over to a particular file in her Google account. I long for the good ole days and IBM 360 assembler language. It seemed so simple then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...our brains were a lot more functional back then, Lot's of garbage information has gone through them over time. But, Sarge and all y'all can write good stories and comments, so there's still hope!
      juvat

      Delete
    2. juvat - Software grows more complex as the suits endeavor to cut the human from the loop. Most software management have only a tentative grasp of what they're managing. It ain't my brain failing.

      Delete
  5. Mini-what? Doin' what?!

    "A mini split, also known as a ductless mini split, is an HVAC system that utilizes an indoor unit, an outdoor unit, refrigerant lines, and electrical wiring, all without the need for traditional ductwork."

    Huh. Well, heck. We had these in our remote office server rooms (before I retired) but I never heard them called that. It was always just "the AC". Learn something new every day.
    :- )

    I'm with you on the Apple products. Been wanting to get away from Micro$not and have been playing with a Linux distro for a bit as Apple is NOT an option IMNSHO. Unfortunately there's that one program, a book collection database, which I really like that so far isn't playing well with Linux. I suppose I'll have to keep a Windows box up and firewalled when I decide make the move.

    cuthach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sticking with Microsoft, I like Linux nearly as much as I like Apple.

      Delete
    2. Have you checked out Wine in your Linux distro???

      Delete
  6. "Completely useless.

    Software people, you gotta love 'em, they never met a problem they couldn't make worse."

    A week or two ago I had kvetched about this kind of thing. I called them "IT" rather than "software people," but on my simple mind they're the same. "Lookit what I can make it do!"

    Sometimes I think the motto is, "If it ain't broke, change it anyway. "

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarge, I am actually posting a similar gripe on Monday - in this case, the continuing failure for posts to update in "most recent posts" section. It does seem a bit (or more than a bit) that Google is passively winding down Blogger. On the one hand it makes sense; pretty sure this is not a money making venture for them anymore (if it every was). On the other hand, pretty d*mnedly inconvenient for those that have years of material here. The thought of migrating makes my head hurt, but maybe it comes to that.

    Ironically, I am putting away our air-conditioners for the year. I think even False Summer is pretty much played out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Blogger goes away, so will this blog.

      Delete
    2. I may be wrong but, based on an email I received, Google dosen't fix Blogger, volunteers do. If so, bless them for fixing the update.

      Delete
    3. WSF - That tracks with something Patrice Lewis said about having an issue with her blog and having a non-Google (volunteer, from how I read it) ultimately resolve it.

      Indeed, bless them. But yikes, that seems a bit scary that something like Blogger - which at least used to be quite a thing - is now relying on volunteers to keep it going.

      Delete
    4. So who is breaking the software, "trained" professionals?

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.