![]() |
| OAFS Photo |
Mow the lawn.
It's in work as we speak, finally got a guy to do it, cost me a pretty penny it did.
But as I am semi-functional in the mobility department, I couldn't do it myself.
The idea of contacting a certain retired Army officer out Kansas way to see if he and his missus would consider renting me a few goats did cross my mind. But as an acquaintance of mine pointed out, the goats would eat more than just the grass. Though the soil of New England be most rocky, I'm sure that The Missus Herself would have no trouble planting me, Your Humble Scribe, in the back yard when she returned from Korea to see her gardens gone.
I mean the bloody rabbits are bad enough.
I mean it's been a month since the grass had been cut, I cut it just before heading south for Roberto's birthday. During that time I managed to fire truck up my right knee. Being hobbled as such, couldn't cut it when I got home. Figured I'd give it a week then try again.
The doctor at urgent care advised me that the knee healing would be four to six weeks before I could expect to start cutting grass again.
So I took a Zen-like view of the situation, as recommended by a certain retired Naval Officer of my acquaintance, and stopped letting it bother me. I also decided to get out of the do-it-yourself lawn mowing thing altogether. Traveling a lot, as we do now, the grass doesn't get the attention it demands while we're on the road. So ...
I hired a guy.
Seems like a good man, an honorable chap. Only time will tell if it's a long term solution to my not wanting to mow the lawn anymore.
We travel too much, and ...
I'm lazy.
So ...
Here we go.

I totally resemble that remark.
ReplyDeletei am not injured but have aged to the point of not being able to mow the lawn. Plus, both mowers are in a state of disrepair.
Fortunately, it (is a country meadow) and has not rained much here on the Oregon coast this summer, so it doesn't look too bad. But yes, a yard guy is going to be needed.
I trusr we're not alone.
DeleteGoats WILL respect a properly installed electric fence, especially when there is plenty of UNFENCED forage available...
ReplyDeleteTough to put electric fencing up around all the flower beds.
Delete" I managed to fire truck up my right knee"
ReplyDeleteIs that the same as "fornicated in a positive Z?"
Maybe I'm just a peasant, but that yard looks fine to me. Nice to lay on to contemplate the vagaries of the universe. Or just watch the clouds
Looks fine to me as well, others don't think so. I'm married to one of those.
DeleteLooked up remote control lawnmowers on Amazon. Cheaper on Teamu but I'd be concerned about the "cheap e-scooters FIRE Issues".
ReplyDeleteWORX
Visit the WORX Store
WORX Robot Lawn Mower for 1/4 Acre, Wire-Free with Brushes
Landroid Vision Cloud with App Control, AI Obstacle Avoidance, RTK Cloud Navigation, App Control, Handles 30% Slope
About 800 dollars.
Probably cheaper than repeat visits to the ER. Just saying buddy.
Having a guy come do it, humans are better than robots. Just not as cheap.
DeleteSarge, having to go through an IT Band/knee recovery process over the last 6 months, I feel for you. It is the most frustrating thing in the world. The saddest thing was when my Physical Therapist said at our last season "By the way, you will have to do these exercises for the rest of your life". Crushingly, it turns out he was right.
ReplyDeleteThat said, having someone do the lawn seems reasonable - especially as you have been traveling a great deal recently. One less thing to worry about.
That last sentence is key.
DeleteI mowed my lawn yesterday. I haven't had to mow it since the end of June. We've had a proper drought in the South of England with some places having no rain for 60+ days. I reckon the real damage to trees and shrubs will show through next spring although we are promised a wet autumn and winter.
ReplyDeleteRetired
We had a year like that some time ago, grass was brown by the end of June. A very hot summer with virtually no rain to speak of.
DeleteGoats would strip everything in the photo before they started on the grass. Hell with the goats I had they would be out front dancing on your car and eating the neighbors roses before they started on the grass!
ReplyDeleteThey would indeed!
DeleteProgress! Even with tall grass that is still an amazing yard.
ReplyDeleteGlad you found a solution other than further damaging your knee.
JB
Better living through subcontracting ...
Delete